Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Restoring a drive image problem

Restoring a drive image problem

Dan

Can some kind soul please advise on the following problem:

Some months ago I cloned my C: drive with Drive Image 2002.
The C: drive has 3 partitions. C for windows xp and the other 2 for Linux
and its swap drive. All work perfectly. (Windows had Service pack 1
installed)

Now due to many annoying and niggling problems I want to restore the image I
created.
My problem is that each time I start up Drive Image from the floppy it comes
up with error 91. I checked this on Powerquests site (now Symantec) and it
states that a 'disk manager' is running and needs to be disabled. It also
advises to check with the hard drive manufacturer to see whether this is
required. I have done that and Western Digital states it is not required. I
also downloaded a recommended WD tool to remove the 'disk manager'. But when
running the tool "wrpog.exe" the 'disk manger' (or Dynamic Drive Overlay) is
greyed out. Presumably there is no 'disk manager' on the drive?

So Drive Image restore will not work until I remove this 'disk
manager'....and I don't know how to do that.
And the wrprog.exe that is supposed to do that does not see it. Sort of
catch 22.
If I can't get help on this one I will have to go for a complete new
re--install of windows xp and the thought leaves me cold!!! Brrr! Please
help.

Thanks

Dan

PS Sorry for the long winded explanation but I am trying to give as much
information that you experts may need. Probably got that wrong as well!

--
Thanks & regards,

Walter Mautner

Dan wrote:

> Can some kind soul please advise on the following problem:
>
> Some months ago I cloned my C: drive with Drive Image 2002.
> The C: drive has 3 partitions. C for windows xp and the other 2 for Linux
> and its swap drive. All work perfectly. (Windows had Service pack 1
> installed)
>
> Now due to many annoying and niggling problems I want to restore the image
> I created.
> My problem is that each time I start up Drive Image from the floppy it
> comes up with error 91. I checked this on Powerquests site (now Symantec)
> and it states that a 'disk manager' is running and needs to be disabled.
> It also advises to check with the hard drive manufacturer to see whether
> this is required. I have done that and Western Digital states it is not
> required. I also downloaded a recommended WD tool to remove the 'disk
> manager'. But when running the tool "wrpog.exe" the 'disk manger' (or
> Dynamic Drive Overlay) is greyed out. Presumably there is no 'disk
> manager' on the drive?

Just a wild guess - which boot manager do you have installed to switch
between windows and linux? Maybe it's a good idea to at least temporarily
uninstall it?
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*your*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

Dan

Thanks Walter. I have Grub installed. Not sure how I uninstall it but will
google for a solution and give it a try.
Thanks for the tip.

Regards

Dan

news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...