Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > File & Folder Permissions in XP

File & Folder Permissions in XP

JustMe

Can someone please explain how to set file and folder permissions in XP
Home? I don't see the security tab when I right click the file or folder as
I'm accoustomed to in Win2k.

TIA

Billh

This is some of the stuff they left out of the Home version. But if you
boot in to safe mode you will have more success with this issue.

"JustMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone please explain how to set file and folder permissions in XP
> Home? I don't see the security tab when I right click the file or folder
> as
> I'm accoustomed to in Win2k.
>
> TIA

Toolman Tim

Log in as administrator in safe mode...IIRC...

"Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41ce2a74$0$17516$(E-Mail Removed) m...
| This is some of the stuff they left out of the Home version. But if you
| boot in to safe mode you will have more success with this issue.
|
| "JustMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Can someone please explain how to set file and folder permissions in XP
| > Home? I don't see the security tab when I right click the file or folder
| > as
| > I'm accoustomed to in Win2k.
| >
| > TIA

JustMe

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I'm certainly not going to restart in
Safe Mode every time I want to manage permissions. XP Home is now homeless.
Looks like another WinMe trick from Microsoft.

So now the question is; If I purchase a copy of XP Pro, can I install it as
an upgrade to XP Homeless and retain my present configuration and OEM
drivers not installed by Home?

TIA

"Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41ce2a74$0$17516$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> This is some of the stuff they left out of the Home version. But if you
> boot in to safe mode you will have more success with this issue.
>
> "JustMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can someone please explain how to set file and folder permissions in XP
> > Home? I don't see the security tab when I right click the file or folder
> > as
> > I'm accoustomed to in Win2k.
> >
> > TIA

Toolman Tim

Don't give it up yet...check this page from Microsoft:

"JustMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I'm certainly not going to restart in
| Safe Mode every time I want to manage permissions. XP Home is now
homeless.
| Looks like another WinMe trick from Microsoft.
|
| So now the question is; If I purchase a copy of XP Pro, can I install it
as
| an upgrade to XP Homeless and retain my present configuration and OEM
| drivers not installed by Home?
|
| TIA
|
| "Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:41ce2a74$0$17516$(E-Mail Removed) m...
| > This is some of the stuff they left out of the Home version. But if you
| > boot in to safe mode you will have more success with this issue.
| >
| > "JustMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > > Can someone please explain how to set file and folder permissions in
XP
| > > Home? I don't see the security tab when I right click the file or
folder
| > > as
| > > I'm accoustomed to in Win2k.
| > >
| > > TIA

Toolman Tim

Sorry - that won't help - it just re-iterates what I already said - must be
Safe Mode as administrator. I thought there was a way listed to disable the
simplified sharing.

I have installed the XP Pro *upgrade* over XP Home with no problems - all
settings/drivers retained correctly. I don't know if a retail version would
do that though. Be sure that your upgrade is the same (or higher) service
pack, or that *will* cause problems, and all service packs and updates will
need to be applied. If you're at SP1, and can get an upgrade with SP1 or
SP2, it should go better. If you can't find an upgrade that is the same
service pack level as your current system, then you can always create a
slipstreamed CD of your own. I've done it and won't do an install/upgrade
anymore - the slipstreamed CD has it all...so there's only the really new
updates for the OS.

This web site has a program that looks like it makes slipstreaming a breeze:
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

news:NFqzd.51115$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Don't give it up yet...check this page from Microsoft:
| http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;308418
|
| "JustMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|| Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I'm certainly not going to restart
in
|| Safe Mode every time I want to manage permissions. XP Home is now
| homeless.
|| Looks like another WinMe trick from Microsoft.
|| So now the question is; If I purchase a copy of XP Pro, can I install it
| as
|| an upgrade to XP Homeless and retain my present configuration and OEM
|| drivers not installed by Home?
|| TIA
|| "Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|| news:41ce2a74$0$17516$(E-Mail Removed) m...
|| > This is some of the stuff they left out of the Home version. But if
you
|| > boot in to safe mode you will have more success with this issue.
|| >
|| > "JustMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| XP
| folder

JustMe

Thanks Tim, that's what I was afraid of. I'm certainly not going to restart
in Safe Mode every time I want to manage permissions. XP Home is now Gone.

So now the question is; If I purchase a copy of XP Pro, can I install it as
an upgrade to XP Homeless and retain my present configuration and OEM
drivers not installed by Home? IOW, do I start all over again or can I
retain existing users and config.?

TIA

newsdqzd.50905$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Log in as administrator in safe mode...IIRC...
>
> "Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41ce2a74$0$17516$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> | This is some of the stuff they left out of the Home version. But if you
> | boot in to safe mode you will have more success with this issue.
> |
> | "JustMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | > Can someone please explain how to set file and folder permissions in

XP
> | > Home? I don't see the security tab when I right click the file or

folder
> | > as
> | > I'm accoustomed to in Win2k.
> | >
> | > TIA

JustMe

Thanx Tim, I'll try that in the morning.

news:NFqzd.51115$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't give it up yet...check this page from Microsoft:
>
> "JustMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I'm certainly not going to restart

in
> | Safe Mode every time I want to manage permissions. XP Home is now
> homeless.
> | Looks like another WinMe trick from Microsoft.
> |
> | So now the question is; If I purchase a copy of XP Pro, can I install it
> as
> | an upgrade to XP Homeless and retain my present configuration and OEM
> | drivers not installed by Home?
> |
> | TIA
> |
> | "Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:41ce2a74$0$17516$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> | > This is some of the stuff they left out of the Home version. But if

you
> | > boot in to safe mode you will have more success with this issue.
> | >
> | > "JustMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP
> folder

JustMe

news:hRqzd.51146$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry - that won't help - it just re-iterates what I already said - must

be
> Safe Mode as administrator. I thought there was a way listed to disable

the
> simplified sharing.

Yeah, I looked thru all that including the references to other KB articles
and couldn't find anything. FWIW, the permissions are part of the file
system (NTFS) and appear to be there. They're accessable under Safe Mode and
from the command prompt in the regular GUI as CACLS. This seems to imply
they're sstill intact, just not implemented in the GUI. ISTM some smart
programmer would be creating a tweak to fix this and the User Manager
deficiency.

> I have installed the XP Pro *upgrade* over XP Home with no problems - all
> settings/drivers retained correctly. I don't know if a retail version

would
> do that though. Be sure that your upgrade is the same (or higher) service
> pack, or that *will* cause problems, and all service packs and updates

will
> need to be applied. If you're at SP1, and can get an upgrade with SP1 or
> SP2, it should go better. If you can't find an upgrade that is the same
> service pack level as your current system, then you can always create a
> slipstreamed CD of your own. I've done it and won't do an install/upgrade
> anymore - the slipstreamed CD has it all...so there's only the really new
> updates for the OS.

AS delivered my system was XP Home w/sp1. Unfortunately, the first thing I
did was install SP2 and all the critical hotfixes. What I have available is
an original edition at sp1. It's not an upgrade copy. I also have the MS SP2
disk from Microsoft. I've done some casual reading on slipstreaming in the
past year and usually blew it off as more work than it's worth. Course at
the time I didn't have the incentive to learn how.

I've been involved with computers for years but I'm not either expert or
novice. I've never created custom builds or wrote unattended install disks.
I guess the question is, how much trouble is it to create a slipstreamed
disk and what do I wind up with? Is the sp interleaved into the installation
or is it simply a sp1 install followed by sp2?

> This web site has a program that looks like it makes slipstreaming a

breeze:
> http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

OK, I;ll take a look at that.

Thanx Tim.

> news:NFqzd.51115$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Don't give it up yet...check this page from Microsoft:
> | http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;308418
> |
> | "JustMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> || Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I'm certainly not going to restart
> in
> || Safe Mode every time I want to manage permissions. XP Home is now
> | homeless.
> || Looks like another WinMe trick from Microsoft.
> || So now the question is; If I purchase a copy of XP Pro, can I install

it
> | as
> || an upgrade to XP Homeless and retain my present configuration and OEM
> || drivers not installed by Home?
> || TIA
> || "Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> || news:41ce2a74$0$17516$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> you

in
> | XP
> | folder

Toolman Tim

"JustMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:hRqzd.51146$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This web site has a program that looks like it makes slipstreaming a
> breeze:
> http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

<snipped>

> As delivered my system was XP Home w/sp1. Unfortunately, the first thing I
> did was install SP2 and all the critical hotfixes. What I have available
> is
> an original edition at sp1. It's not an upgrade copy. I also have the MS
> SP2
> disk from Microsoft. I've done some casual reading on slipstreaming in the
> past year and usually blew it off as more work than it's worth. Course at
> the time I didn't have the incentive to learn how.
>
> I've been involved with computers for years but I'm not either expert or
> novice. I've never created custom builds or wrote unattended install
> disks.
> I guess the question is, how much trouble is it to create a slipstreamed
> disk and what do I wind up with? Is the sp interleaved into the
> installation
> or is it simply a sp1 install followed by sp2?

If you do create a slipstreamed disc, it is a full clean SP2 version. You
have all the SP2 patches in place on an initial install. As often as I have
to install the OS on different systems, the slipstreamed CD is best. Now
that the above website seems to automate the process somewhat, it should
help for those of us who do re-install frequently (I manage a small office
network, and fix computers for the co-workers in my spare time.)