Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > scandisk

scandisk

Bob B

When I run scandisk on my 98SE it keeps reverting from 'checking folders' to
checking 'file allocation tables' back and forth... I have checked that no
other programmes are running. Any ideas please. BB

Walter Mautner

Bob B wrote:

> When I run scandisk on my 98SE it keeps reverting from 'checking folders'
> to checking 'file allocation tables' back and forth... I have checked that
> no other programmes are running. Any ideas please. BB

Run it from "safe mode": press F8 key quickly when the bios messages
disappear and select it.
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*your*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

Noel Paton

Try running it while in Safe Mode - there are things running on your PC
which don't show in Task Manager.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm

"Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iAjzd.96$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I run scandisk on my 98SE it keeps reverting from 'checking folders'
> checking 'file allocation tables' back and forth... I have checked that no
> other programmes are running. Any ideas please. BB

Jerry G.

Run Scandisk, and the Defrag programs from safemode only!

--

Jerry G.
======

"Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iAjzd.96$(E-Mail Removed)...
When I run scandisk on my 98SE it keeps reverting from 'checking folders' to
checking 'file allocation tables' back and forth... I have checked that no
other programmes are running. Any ideas please. BB

Bob B

Many thanks for all your replies and in 'safe mode' no problems, which begs
the question what is running in the background that is not showing up in
task manager. BB

--
This is the place for all your fancy dress and christmas gifts
http://www.thelaughingstock.co.uk/
"Noel Paton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cqkjtt$k6i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try running it while in Safe Mode - there are things running on your PC
> which don't show in Task Manager.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm
>
> "Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:iAjzd.96$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I run scandisk on my 98SE it keeps reverting from 'checking

folders'
> > checking 'file allocation tables' back and forth... I have checked that

no
> > other programmes are running. Any ideas please. BB

Trent SC

Loads of stuff. Any icons in your system tray indicate programs that are
running, and have a look at your Task Manager for more.

> Many thanks for all your replies and in 'safe mode' no problems, which
> begs
> the question what is running in the background that is not showing up in
> task manager. BB
>
>> Try running it while in Safe Mode - there are things running on your PC
>> which don't show in Task Manager.
>>
>> > When I run scandisk on my 98SE it keeps reverting from 'checking

> folders'
>> > checking 'file allocation tables' back and forth... I have checked that

> no
>> > other programmes are running. Any ideas please. BB

Bob B

Turned out to be zone alarm. It has to be shut down completely and not just
have the internet lock applied. Can't remember this being a problem in the
past so it maybe it is the way it reacts with the latest version of the AVG
programme. Thank you for all the replies. BB