Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > BOOT UP PROBLEM

BOOT UP PROBLEM

Steelman

Could Someone Please help. When my machine has booted up i get a
message 16 Bit Windows Subsystem C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt the
system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft
applictions. then you need to click close or ignore and the machine
runs fine.
Could someone please direct me on how to solve this problem because
when i type the path in to delete the file nothing comes up. thanks

Ingeborg

Steelman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Could Someone Please help. When my machine has booted up i get a
> message 16 Bit Windows Subsystem C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt the
> system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft
> applictions. then you need to click close or ignore and the machine
> runs fine.
> Could someone please direct me on how to solve this problem because
> when i type the path in to delete the file nothing comes up. thanks

Your system is trying to start a dos program or a 16 bit windows program
during startup. You can use msconfig to find out which program this is, and
disable it.

You can also repair your XP installation:

'Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program'

why?

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:28:21 GMT, Steelman wrote:

>Could Someone Please help. When my machine has booted up i get a
>message 16 Bit Windows Subsystem C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt the
>system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft

This will be the most popular question for Dec 2004 and has already been
answered many times.

>applictions. then you need to click close or ignore and the machine
>runs fine.
>Could someone please direct me on how to solve this problem because

Q- Solve this?
A - http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...pport.helpdesk

You will find ,
replies to the same questions which also usually include the links to
the MS knowledge base article if not the fix.

>when i type the path in to delete the file nothing comes up. thanks

Me

Ron Martell

Steelman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Could Someone Please help. When my machine has booted up i get a
>message 16 Bit Windows Subsystem C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt the
>system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft
>applictions. then you need to click close or ignore and the machine
>runs fine.
>Could someone please direct me on how to solve this problem because
>when i type the path in to delete the file nothing comes up. thanks

You should be aware that there are at least a couple of viruses that
cause this problem so if you replace the autoexec.nt file as per the
Knowledge Base article that Ingeborg mentioned the problem is likely
to come back.

So make sure that your antivirus software is completely up to date and
do a full virus scan of your system. Then check it for spyware as per
the procedure at http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Merry Christmas.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--