Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Has my computer died?

Has my computer died?

Shirley Azvedo

Windows 98SE, IE 6, OE 6.0

When I first turn the computer on the Windows 98 screen comes up and I see
the blue "thing" going along the bottom of the screen as it usually does
before the desktop comes up. But.............now the Windows 98 screen just
stays there with the blue "thing" going across the bottom and the desktop
doesn't come up. How do I get it to go to the desktop?

Toolman Tim

"Shirley Azvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:csCyd.24152$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Windows 98SE, IE 6, OE 6.0
|
| When I first turn the computer on the Windows 98 screen comes up and I see
| the blue "thing" going along the bottom of the screen as it usually does
| before the desktop comes up. But.............now the Windows 98 screen
just
| stays there with the blue "thing" going across the bottom and the desktop
| doesn't come up. How do I get it to go to the desktop?

Try booting into safe mode. If that works, then you can run troubleshooting
and disk maintenance utilities (scandisk, defrag, etc.) To boot into safe
mode, press the F8 key as the computer starts (after the memory test/drive
recognition, etc., just before "Starting Windows..." appears on the screen.)