Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > can't get XP to boot from floppy

can't get XP to boot from floppy

WCH

I've just done a system restore on a Sony Picturebook running XP Pro (it
came with XP Pro, and I used Sony's restore disks for a totally clean
installation, which went perfectly). I've done all the XP updates
included SP2, but there's some BIOS updates from Sony I'm trying to
install and that's where I'm having problems.

First I checked the system BIOS and made sure it boots from removable
drives first, then CD-ROM, then hard drive. I've got a USB floppy drive
attached to the Picturebook. I download the BIOS executable and run it.
It expands four files to a floppy that it finds in the floppy drive,
makes the floppy bootable, and then prompts me to restart the computer.
The on-line directions say the Picturebook will restart to the floppy
and then I can flash the BIOS. But it doesn't. It READS the floppy (I
can see and hear floppy disk activity) but then boots XP normally. I
tried this over and over. Then I put in a 98SE boot disk that I know is
good (just to see if it will boot) and that, too, is read and then
ignored. So I pulled the USB floppy and plugged in a USB CD-ROM drive.
I copied the files from the floppy to a CD and tried to boot from it.
Read, ignored, booted from XP. I tried putting a CD that I know is
bootable in the CD drive and restarted it again. Read, ignored, booted
from XP.

What am I doing wrong?
WC

Conor

In article WCH says...
> I've just done a system restore on a Sony Picturebook running XP Pro (it
> came with XP Pro, and I used Sony's restore disks for a totally clean
> installation, which went perfectly). I've done all the XP updates
> included SP2, but there's some BIOS updates from Sony I'm trying to
> install and that's where I'm having problems.
>
> First I checked the system BIOS and made sure it boots from removable
> drives first, then CD-ROM, then hard drive. I've got a USB floppy drive
> attached to the Picturebook. I download the BIOS executable and run it.
> It expands four files to a floppy that it finds in the floppy drive,
> makes the floppy bootable, and then prompts me to restart the computer.
> The on-line directions say the Picturebook will restart to the floppy
> and then I can flash the BIOS. But it doesn't. It READS the floppy (I
> can see and hear floppy disk activity) but then boots XP normally. I
> tried this over and over. Then I put in a 98SE boot disk that I know is
> good (just to see if it will boot) and that, too, is read and then
> ignored. So I pulled the USB floppy and plugged in a USB CD-ROM drive.
> I copied the files from the floppy to a CD and tried to boot from it.
> Read, ignored, booted from XP. I tried putting a CD that I know is
> bootable in the CD drive and restarted it again. Read, ignored, booted
> from XP.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Not making a bootable floppy or CDROM.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

dadiOH

WCH wrote:
> First I checked the system BIOS and made sure it boots from removable
> drives first, then CD-ROM, then hard drive. I've got a USB floppy
> drive attached to the Picturebook. I download the BIOS executable
> and run it. It expands four files to a floppy that it finds in the
> floppy drive, makes the floppy bootable, and then prompts me to
> restart the computer. The on-line directions say the Picturebook
> will restart to the floppy and then I can flash the BIOS. But it
> doesn't. It READS the floppy (I can see and hear floppy disk
> activity) but then boots XP normally. I tried this over and over.
> Then I put in a 98SE boot disk that I know is good (just to see if it
> will boot) and that, too, is read and then ignored. So I pulled the
> USB floppy and plugged in a USB CD-ROM drive. I copied the files
> from the floppy to a CD and tried to boot from it. Read, ignored,
> booted from XP. I tried putting a CD that I know is bootable in the
> CD drive and restarted it again. Read, ignored, booted from XP.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

USB?

What happens if you disable the HD in BIOS? Or just disconnect it.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

philo

power-hungry type,
repeatedly, have first cooperated with non-leftist revolutionaries, as
well as with leftists of a more libertarian inclination, and later
have double-crossed them to seize power for themselves. Robespierre
did this in the French Revolution, the Bolsheviks did it in the
Russian Revolution, the communists did it in Spain in 1938 and Castro
and his followers did it in Cuba. Given the past history of leftism,
it would be utterly foolish for non-leftist revolutionaries today to
collaborate with leftists.

218. Various thinkers have pointed out that leftism is a kind of
religion. Leftism is not a religion in the strict sense because
leftist doctrine does not postulate the existence of any supernatural
being. But for the leftist, leftism plays a psychological role much
like that which religion plays for some people. The leftist NEEDS to
believe in leftism; it plays a vital role in his psychological
economy. His beliefs are not easily modified by logic or facts. He has
a deep conviction that leftism is morally Right with a capital R, and
that he has not only a right but a duty to impose leftist morality on
everyone. (However, many of the people w

Toolman Tim

"WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| I've just done a system restore on a Sony Picturebook running XP Pro (it
| came with XP Pro, and I used Sony's restore disks for a totally clean
| installation, which went perfectly). I've done all the XP updates
| included SP2, but there's some BIOS updates from Sony I'm trying to
| install and that's where I'm having problems.
|
| First I checked the system BIOS and made sure it boots from removable
| drives first, then CD-ROM, then hard drive. I've got a USB floppy drive
| attached to the Picturebook. I download the BIOS executable and run it.
| It expands four files to a floppy that it finds in the floppy drive,
| makes the floppy bootable, and then prompts me to restart the computer.
| The on-line directions say the Picturebook will restart to the floppy
| and then I can flash the BIOS. But it doesn't. It READS the floppy (I
| can see and hear floppy disk activity) but then boots XP normally. I
| tried this over and over. Then I put in a 98SE boot disk that I know is
| good (just to see if it will boot) and that, too, is read and then
| ignored. So I pulled the USB floppy and plugged in a USB CD-ROM drive.
| I copied the files from the floppy to a CD and tried to boot from it.
| Read, ignored, booted from XP. I tried putting a CD that I know is
| bootable in the CD drive and restarted it again. Read, ignored, booted
| from XP.
|
| What am I doing wrong?
| WC

Many USB devices will not work as a boot device, since the USB port in the
computer isn't working until the OS installs the drivers for them. You need
to research that problem with the manufacturer of the USB floppy drive.

philo

"WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I've just done a system restore on a Sony Picturebook running XP Pro (it
> came with XP Pro, and I used Sony's restore disks for a totally clean
> installation, which went perfectly). I've done all the XP updates
> included SP2, but there's some BIOS updates from Sony I'm trying to
> install and that's where I'm having problems.
>
> First I checked the system BIOS and made sure it boots from removable
> drives first, then CD-ROM, then hard drive. I've got a USB floppy drive
> attached to the Picturebook. I download the BIOS executable and run it.
> It expands four files to a floppy that it finds in the floppy drive, makes
> the floppy bootable, and then prompts me to restart the computer. The
> on-line directions say the Picturebook will restart to the floppy and then
> I can flash the BIOS. But it doesn't. It READS the floppy (I can see and
> hear floppy disk activity) but then boots XP normally. I tried this over
> and over. Then I put in a 98SE boot disk that I know is good (just to see
> if it will boot) and that, too, is read and then ignored. So I pulled the
> USB floppy and plugged in a USB CD-ROM drive. I copied the files from the
> floppy to a CD and tried to boot from it. Read, ignored, booted from XP.
> I tried putting a CD that I know is bootable in the CD drive and restarted
> it again. Read, ignored, booted from XP.

setting the bios to boot from floppy merely enables the machine to
boot from the on-board floppy (which you don;t have)
if there is an option to boot from a USB device...
you need to use that.
btw: do you *really* need to update your bios?
if your machine is working ok...don;t do so merely for the sake of
updating

Sky King

WCH wrote:

> updates included SP2, but there's some BIOS updates from Sony I'm
> trying to install and that's where I'm having problems.

> will restart to the floppy and then I can flash the BIOS. But it
> doesn't. It READS the floppy (I can see and hear floppy disk
> activity) but then boots XP normally. I tried this over and over.

Your system probably doesn't have the capability to boot from a USB device.

So just bypass the need for doing that. Copy the BIOS updates to a location
on the C: drive --- C:\Temp for example.

Then reboot the system, hitting the key (CTRL I think on Win9 to bring up
the boot menu. Boot to Command prompt only. CD to C:\Temp, and from the
DOS command run the exe to install the BIOS flash update. That is usually
in the form of the .exe with the name of the latest .bin file as argument.
Should be a Readme or similar that 'splains it in detail.

--

....Sky

Tom "Sky" King
=============

ROSWELL

when you the program copyed the files to the floppy it probley didn't make
it bootable. you should download a bootdisk form bootdisk.com. almost every
bois updated i have seen recomands the win98 boot disk.After doin that boot
form the floppy put in the disk with your bios in it and run the exe file on
it.

MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE DIRECTIONS

Toolman Tim

"ROSWELL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| when you the program copyed the files to the floppy it probley didn't make
| it bootable. you should download a bootdisk form bootdisk.com. almost
every
| bois updated i have seen recomands the win98 boot disk.After doin that
boot
| form the floppy put in the disk with your bios in it and run the exe file
on
| it.
|
| MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE DIRECTIONS

MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE POST, Roswell...

<quote>
I download the BIOS executable and run it.
It expands four files to a floppy that it finds in the floppy drive,
makes the floppy bootable, and then prompts me to restart the computer.
</quote>

The Old Sourdough

On 23 Dec 2004, Toolman Tim scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> "ROSWELL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| when you the program copyed the files to the floppy it probley
>| didn't make it bootable. you should download a bootdisk form
>| bootdisk.com. almost
> every
>| bois updated i have seen recomands the win98 boot disk.After doin
>| that
> boot
>| form the floppy put in the disk with your bios in it and run the
>| exe file
> on
>| it.
>|
>| MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE DIRECTIONS
>|
> MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE POST, Roswell...

If his reading comprehension is comparable to his writing
skills........

--
The Old Sourdough
BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life