Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > [OT] How to tell if a file was copied?

Reply
Thread Tools

[OT] How to tell if a file was copied?

 
 
Jock Strap
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2004
Not exactly on-topic here, but I'm curious -- according to...

http://news.com.com/id+theft+fears+l...html?tag=st_lh

....it says "the laptop is now in the hands of a forensics expert
who will try to determine whether or not the database was accessed
or copied".

How is it possible to tell if a file was copied? It's impossible!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dan DiNicolo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2004
I'm not sure where you read that it was impossible to determine if a file
was copied. That's simply not true. File systems store "last access"
information. Just because you can't usually "see" it, doesn't mean it isn't
there.

A little reading:

http://www.febooti.com/products/file...ssed-date.html

Dan
--
Dan DiNicolo
MCSE, CCNP, CCDA
http://www.2000trainers.com



"Jock Strap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not exactly on-topic here, but I'm curious -- according to...
>
> http://news.com.com/id+theft+fears+l...html?tag=st_lh
>
> ...it says "the laptop is now in the hands of a forensics expert
> who will try to determine whether or not the database was accessed
> or copied".
>
> How is it possible to tell if a file was copied? It's impossible!
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SgtMinor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2004
Dan DiNicolo wrote:

> I'm not sure where you read that it was impossible to determine if a file
> was copied. That's simply not true. File systems store "last access"
> information. Just because you can't usually "see" it, doesn't mean it isn't
> there.
>
> A little reading:
>
> http://www.febooti.com/products/file...ssed-date.html
>
> Dan


The OP asked and stated: "How is it possible to tell if a file was
copied? It's impossible!" Neither your reply nor the article you cited
answered that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dan DiNicolo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2004
My apologies. The question sounded rhetorical to me. I provided a link that
explained the fact that this information is saved. Programs like the one
shown, as well as others like DirectoryOpus, ExplorerPlus, etc, will show
the date the file was last accessed.

Dan
--
Dan DiNicolo
MCSE, CCNP, CCDA
http://www.2000trainers.com


"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dan DiNicolo wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure where you read that it was impossible to determine if a file
>> was copied. That's simply not true. File systems store "last access"
>> information. Just because you can't usually "see" it, doesn't mean it
>> isn't there.
>>
>> A little reading:
>>
>> http://www.febooti.com/products/file...ssed-date.html
>>
>> Dan

>
> The OP asked and stated: "How is it possible to tell if a file was copied?
> It's impossible!" Neither your reply nor the article you cited answered
> that.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jock Strap
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2004
Dan DiNicolo wrote:

> I'm not sure where you read that it was impossible to determine if a
> file was copied. That's simply not true. File systems store "last
> access" information. Just because you can't usually "see" it, doesn't
> mean it isn't there.
>
> A little reading:
>
> http://www.febooti.com/products/file...ssed-date.html


Yes, selecting a file will modify its "Last Accessed" time stamp.
How does that prove the file was copied anywhere? It doesn't.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2004
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:31:11 -0500, "Dan DiNicolo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> I'm not sure where you read that it was impossible to determine if a file
|> was copied. That's simply not true. File systems store "last access"
|> information. Just because you can't usually "see" it, doesn't mean it isn't
|> there.
|>
|> A little reading:
|>
|> http://www.febooti.com/products/file...ssed-date.html
|>

Wow! I didn't know that, my computer really can nark me out.

Open an explorer window
right click on Name in right pane (any header)
a list will pop up, select -More...-
Then select -Date accessed-

Now the date and time a file was last used is shown.

This show'd the last time my text files were used but not Jpgs view'd,
at least something is left private


--
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jock Strap
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> This show'd the last time my text files were used but not Jpgs view'd,
> at least something is left private


It's not private at all -- JPGs still show the last accessed date.
Have a look at their file properties (right-click the file, Properties).


 
Reply With Quote
 
Aussie Bomber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2004
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:45:49 +1100, "Jock Strap" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Dan DiNicolo wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure where you read that it was impossible to determine if a
>> file was copied. That's simply not true. File systems store "last
>> access" information. Just because you can't usually "see" it, doesn't
>> mean it isn't there.
>>
>> A little reading:
>>
>> http://www.febooti.com/products/file...ssed-date.html

>
>Yes, selecting a file will modify its "Last Accessed" time stamp.
>How does that prove the file was copied anywhere? It doesn't.


Using windows and right clicking and selecting properties resets the
last date accessed to current date/time!! How stupid!!!.

In command prompt window use:-

dir /ta

and it will show last date accessed and it will NOT change the last
date/time accessed.



--
The Aussie Bomber
Carn The Dons!!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2004
Jock Strap wrote:

> Not exactly on-topic here, but I'm curious -- according to...


> http://news.com.com/id+theft+fears+l...ned/2100-1029_
> 3-5501200.html?tag=st_lh


> ...it says "the laptop is now in the hands of a forensics expert
> who will try to determine whether or not the database was accessed
> or copied".


> How is it possible to tell if a file was copied? It's impossible!


That's one of those things they want you to think about.
No one can probe into your machine and tell you when a file was copied.
Aceessed yes. But by whom and for what purpose?

That's like during WWII they went around cities with trucks equipped with
radio detection equipment telling people that if they had their receiving
radio turned on, they would get a knock on the door.
Bullshit. Receivers don't give out radio waves.

Much like the so called radar detector detectors.
Yeah they work. But only within a few feet.
Then if only the thing is plugged in.

Given enough time, they'll produce the evidence even if they have to create
it.

Problem is, making it stick against any one individual.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2004
Dan DiNicolo wrote:

> My apologies. The question sounded rhetorical to me. I provided a link
> that explained the fact that this information is saved. Programs like the
> one shown, as well as others like DirectoryOpus, ExplorerPlus, etc, will
> show the date the file was last accessed.


But that is all it show.
As that's inherit in windows file directory system.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some people tell that at present, most web hosting servers supportall kinds of programming language, some people tell me that many web hostingserver don't support Java, What is the truth? Erwin Moller Java 3 05-07-2008 05:09 PM
CAN any one tell it whats the code tell it yogesh C++ 1 03-14-2007 01:12 PM
Can anyone tell me what software I need for this file? Here is a sample of the file...... Happy@Camper.Com Computer Support 4 03-20-2005 08:26 PM
Is there such a thing as a program that can tell me what kind of file a file is? Happy@Camper.Com Computer Support 4 01-03-2005 04:54 PM
Script to Tell Tell Time then Limit by it? Mike A Javascript 17 11-19-2003 02:16 PM



Advertisments