Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB ports not usable

USB ports not usable

Jerry

I made PC for my daughter about a year or so ago, using a MSI MS-6378
Micro-ATX mainboard. She now wants to use some USB devices but nothing
happens when we plug in any USB device. The board has two on board [hard
wired ports] and two ports that I wired through the front. None of them
work. Using WinXP as the OS. All references to USB are enabled in the BIOs
and the WinXP device manager show that drivers are loaded.

Bruce

I had a similar problem when I built a PC with Win 2000, I had to go to
Control Panel , Device Manager/System & go to each USB port shown and click
on update drivers and that fixed it.

Bruce
"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I made PC for my daughter about a year or so ago, using a MSI MS-6378
> Micro-ATX mainboard. She now wants to use some USB devices but nothing
> happens when we plug in any USB device. The board has two on board [hard
> wired ports] and two ports that I wired through the front. None of them
> work. Using WinXP as the OS. All references to USB are enabled in the BIOs
> and the WinXP device manager show that drivers are loaded.

pepep@joe.com

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:46:05 -0600, "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I made PC for my daughter about a year or so ago, using a MSI MS-6378
>Micro-ATX mainboard. She now wants to use some USB devices but nothing
>happens when we plug in any USB device. The board has two on board [hard
>wired ports] and two ports that I wired through the front. None of them
>work. Using WinXP as the OS. All references to USB are enabled in the BIOs
>and the WinXP device manager show that drivers are loaded.

You can also try going to device manager-->universal serial bus
controllers and remove all the root hubs. Then reboot and let them
re-install.

Toolman Tim

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|I made PC for my daughter about a year or so ago, using a MSI MS-6378
| Micro-ATX mainboard. She now wants to use some USB devices but nothing
| happens when we plug in any USB device. The board has two on board [hard
| wired ports] and two ports that I wired through the front. None of them
| work. Using WinXP as the OS. All references to USB are enabled in the BIOs
| and the WinXP device manager show that drivers are loaded.

Don't forget to re-check the wiring - if you got the header block on the USB
cables inside the case hooked up wrong, you can burn out any USB device you
plug into it.

Jerry

All four USB ports will not work. Even the two that are "hard wired" on the
motherboard. The two on the front I've checked the wiring and I've updated
the drivers. WinXP sees the usb ports and installs drivers but no device
I've plugged in will work and I've used before and after each device in
other PCs.

news:G4Eyd.43001$t%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> |I made PC for my daughter about a year or so ago, using a MSI MS-6378
> | Micro-ATX mainboard. She now wants to use some USB devices but nothing
> | happens when we plug in any USB device. The board has two on board [hard
> | wired ports] and two ports that I wired through the front. None of them
> | work. Using WinXP as the OS. All references to USB are enabled in the
> BIOs
> | and the WinXP device manager show that drivers are loaded.
> |
> Don't forget to re-check the wiring - if you got the header block on the
> USB
> cables inside the case hooked up wrong, you can burn out any USB device
> you
> plug into it.

Toolman Tim

Well, then I'd have to suggest un-installing the USB drivers and all
associated info from the Windows Device Manager. Be sure that you have the
drivers available to reinstall them first.

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| All four USB ports will not work. Even the two that are "hard wired" on
the
| motherboard. The two on the front I've checked the wiring and I've updated
| the drivers. WinXP sees the usb ports and installs drivers but no device
| I've plugged in will work and I've used before and after each device in
| other PCs.
|

| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:G4Eyd.43001$t%(E-Mail Removed)...
| > "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > |I made PC for my daughter about a year or so ago, using a MSI MS-6378
| > | Micro-ATX mainboard. She now wants to use some USB devices but nothing
| > | happens when we plug in any USB device. The board has two on board
[hard
| > | wired ports] and two ports that I wired through the front. None of
them
| > | work. Using WinXP as the OS. All references to USB are enabled in the
| > BIOs
| > | and the WinXP device manager show that drivers are loaded.
| > |