Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Nero DVD burning problem

Nero DVD burning problem

Tiny Tim

I built a Windows MCE PC a couple of weeks ago and today I tried burning my
first ever Video DVD using Nero. I assembled 12 MPEG2 files totalling about
4 GB and set up the DVD menu to access each of them, using the Nero
software, and then started the burn process to a DVD-R blank.

The burn seemed to begin OK and I saw a preview of the first file being
processed at high speed by Nero. I also saw the progress indicator,
estimating 18 minutes to go for the burn. After about 1 minute Nero just
closed and returned me to the StartSmart screen. I left the thing as it was
and returned 25 minutes later to eject the DVD. The disc is garbage.

I tried burning the same files to DVD from within MCE and the burn worked
fine, although I was surprised to end up with what appeared to be a plain
data disc rather than a Video DVD, and there was no menu navigation or
anything. But at least it proved that the burner is working. I am using the
latest official NEC 3500 firmware.

So I repeated the exercise on a new disc with Nero and once again the thing
just crashed out. There was no error message of any kind and I can't find an
error log anywhere.

The Nero version was a brand new download from the Nero site yesterday. The
original source files were from a capture of sVHS tapes via my Hauppauge
PVR-150-MCE tuner card. The files all play back fine on the computer. Does
anyone have any ideas what might be wrong and how to fix this?

Thanks,
Tim.

Barry OGrady

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:05:17 -0000, "Tiny Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I built a Windows MCE PC a couple of weeks ago and today I tried burning my
>first ever Video DVD using Nero. I assembled 12 MPEG2 files totalling about
>4 GB and set up the DVD menu to access each of them, using the Nero
>software, and then started the burn process to a DVD-R blank.
>
>The burn seemed to begin OK and I saw a preview of the first file being
>processed at high speed by Nero. I also saw the progress indicator,
>estimating 18 minutes to go for the burn. After about 1 minute Nero just
>closed and returned me to the StartSmart screen. I left the thing as it was
>and returned 25 minutes later to eject the DVD. The disc is garbage.
>
>I tried burning the same files to DVD from within MCE and the burn worked
>fine, although I was surprised to end up with what appeared to be a plain
>data disc rather than a Video DVD, and there was no menu navigation or
>anything. But at least it proved that the burner is working. I am using the
>latest official NEC 3500 firmware.
>
>So I repeated the exercise on a new disc with Nero and once again the thing
>just crashed out. There was no error message of any kind and I can't find an
>error log anywhere.
>
>The Nero version was a brand new download from the Nero site yesterday. The
>original source files were from a capture of sVHS tapes via my Hauppauge
>PVR-150-MCE tuner card. The files all play back fine on the computer. Does
>anyone have any ideas what might be wrong and how to fix this?

I suggest you use DVD-R/Ws while testing.

>Thanks,
>Tim.

-Barry
========
"I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for
their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible;
in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
[A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]

Tiny Tim

>> Does anyone have any ideas what might be
>> wrong and how to fix this?

> I suggest you use DVD-R/Ws while testing.

Good tip I just don't have any at the moment

Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim wrote:
>>> Does anyone have any ideas what might be
>>> wrong and how to fix this?

>> I suggest you use DVD-R/Ws while testing.

> Good tip I just don't have any at the moment

While waiting for new media to arrive (ordered a week ago but not delivered
yet - Bloody Xmas/New Year!) I decided to find alternative software for
burning video DVDs. Sonic MyDVD Deluxe works a treat. No idea what was wrong
with Nero but now I don't care Nero still rocks for data burning though.