Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Fan noise i think

Fan noise i think

Jay

There is a noise coming from the back of my tower unit.
I think it may be the fan. I switched the pc off & on again yesterday & the
noise stoped but today it is back again.

Jay

Brian

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:cq8va2$ks1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a noise coming from the back of my tower unit.
> I think it may be the fan. I switched the pc off & on again yesterday &

the
> noise stoped but today it is back again.
>
> Jay

oh well.............

°Mike°

Then open the box and check/change it.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:52:51 +0000 (UTC), in
<cq8va2$ks1$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jay scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Mike Easter

Jay wrote:
> There is a noise coming from the back of my tower unit.
> I think it may be the fan. I switched the pc off & on again yesterday
> & the noise stoped but today it is back again.

The last time I fixed one for a relative, it was the vibration of a
plastic cooling shroud assembly. I was able to take everything down to
removing the case fan which was inside the shroud and clean off its dust
etal and everything was 'cool' and quiet again.

If it is the fan built into the PS, that may or not be as easy or hard
to get to to tidy up or replace. The last time I fixed a noisy cpu fan,
it needed to be replaced. It wasn't dust it was the bearings.

--
Mike Easter

PC

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cq8va2$ks1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a noise coming from the back of my tower unit.
> I think it may be the fan. I switched the pc off & on again yesterday &
> the noise stoped but today it is back again.
>
> Jay

Jay

If the noise is coming from the fan then, it generally means the sintered
bronze bearing has dried out and the shaft is chattering in the (now worn)
bearing till it warms up enough for some of the remaining lubricant to ooze
out of the bronze.

If your'e not a hands on type, send it in for a new fan.
If you're reasonably competent with plugs & screws and the fan plugs in
change it yourself for new.
If you are technically competent with a soldering Iron etc, remove the fan
(power supply, CPU, Case whichever) remove the sticky label and plug (if
present) over the bearing shaft and lubricate it with new engine oil,
replacing the plug/sticky label as appropriate.

Note 'new engine oil' (20/50 or what is to hand) not CRC 556 or WD 40 or any
of the other 'light' spray on lubricants. These 'light' oils were suggested
by many posters some time ago, but I'm afraid they don't last.

I have found engine oil will extend the life of the fan about 100% ie if the
fan is two years old when it chatters, oiling it will make it last at least
another two years.

Cheers
Paul.

CptnCrlyBrace

Jay, I have a fan noise too..
It's coming from an xtra fan that gets screwe
into the back of the tower(just like a sound card or modem)
That sucker has some serious decibles to it..
I cleaned it with air and SMACKED it(just a little)..
It didn't like that..
I just put a music CD in and turn the speaker volume louder and tha
seems to take care of tha fan noise problem...(last part is just fo
kicks and giggles)

--
CptnCrlyBrac
CptnCrlyBrace's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=851

Gary G. Taylor

PC wrote:

> "Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cq8va2$ks1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There is a noise coming from the back of my tower unit.
>> I think it may be the fan. I switched the pc off & on again yesterday &
>> the noise stoped but today it is back again.
>>
>> Jay

> Jay
>
> If the noise is coming from the fan then, it generally means the sintered
> bronze bearing has dried out and the shaft is chattering in the (now worn)
> bearing till it warms up enough for some of the remaining lubricant to
> ooze out of the bronze.
>
> If your'e not a hands on type, send it in for a new fan.
> If you're reasonably competent with plugs & screws and the fan plugs in
> change it yourself for new.
> If you are technically competent with a soldering Iron etc, remove the fan
> (power supply, CPU, Case whichever) remove the sticky label and plug (if
> present) over the bearing shaft and lubricate it with new engine oil,
> replacing the plug/sticky label as appropriate.
>
> Note 'new engine oil' (20/50 or what is to hand) not CRC 556 or WD 40 or
> any of the other 'light' spray on lubricants. These 'light' oils were
> suggested by many posters some time ago, but I'm afraid they don't last.
>
> I have found engine oil will extend the life of the fan about 100% ie if
> the fan is two years old when it chatters, oiling it will make it last at
> least another two years.
>
> Cheers
> Paul.

I've had that experience too. A friend lubed mine with synthetic oil a year
ago and it's going strong.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Jay