Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > RANDRECO.EXE = Still there & ain't leaving!

RANDRECO.EXE = Still there & ain't leaving!

Daniel

Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having this same
problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there & NOT going anywhere!

Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
AdAware finds NOTHING!
AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds nothing else but
some Java bug/security flaw which the program is worthless against as it
says it's a virus but then does nothing to get rid of it or tell what needs
done)!
Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete files I've
NEVER had & registry entries which have never been there.

Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)

There are 10 types of people in this world...
....those who understand binary & those who don't.

samuel

"Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having
> this same problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there &
> NOT going anywhere!
>
> Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
> SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
> AdAware finds NOTHING!
> AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds
> nothing else but some Java bug/security flaw which the program
> is worthless against as it says it's a virus but then does
> nothing to get rid of it or tell what needs done)!
> Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete
> files I've NEVER had & registry entries which have never been
> there.
>
> Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)

maybe

groups
alt.comp.anti-virus
alt.privacy.spyware

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Daniel wrote:
> Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having this same
> problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there & NOT going anywhere!
>
> Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
> SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
> AdAware finds NOTHING!
> AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds nothing else but
> some Java bug/security flaw which the program is worthless against as it
> says it's a virus but then does nothing to get rid of it or tell what needs
> done)!
> Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete files I've
> NEVER had & registry entries which have never been there.
>
> Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)

Daniel, I don't still have your previous posts at the ready, have you
tried other AV programs? If it were me, I'd use them all until the
infection is gone. Do a Google search for "online virus" and you'll see
quite a few free AV online scanners. Trend Housecall, Panda,
BitDefender, RAV among them. There are also trial versions of several
"for pay" AV programs that you can use and then either buy or uninstall.

Daniel

"samuel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having
> > this same problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there &
> > NOT going anywhere!
> >
> > Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
> > SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
> > AdAware finds NOTHING!
> > AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds
> > nothing else but some Java bug/security flaw which the program
> > is worthless against as it says it's a virus but then does
> > nothing to get rid of it or tell what needs done)!
> > Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete
> > files I've NEVER had & registry entries which have never been
> > there.
> >
> > Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)

> maybe
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

The usual. Leads to a list of "the only way you're getting uninfected is to
buy our product" & then instructions on deleting non-existant files &
registry entries.

> groups
> alt.comp.anti-virus
> alt.privacy.spyware

I might have to try those...

Daniel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Daniel wrote:
> > Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having this same
> > problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there & NOT going anywhere!
> >
> > Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
> > SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
> > AdAware finds NOTHING!
> > AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds nothing else

but
> > some Java bug/security flaw which the program is worthless against as it
> > says it's a virus but then does nothing to get rid of it or tell what

needs
> > done)!
> > Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete files

I've
> > NEVER had & registry entries which have never been there.
> >
> > Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)
> >

> Daniel, I don't still have your previous posts at the ready, have you
> tried other AV programs? If it were me, I'd use them all until the
> infection is gone. Do a Google search for "online virus" and you'll see
> quite a few free AV online scanners. Trend Housecall, Panda,
> BitDefender, RAV among them. There are also trial versions of several
> "for pay" AV programs that you can use and then either buy or uninstall.

Trying them again...though last time they did NOTHING, allot of nothing, &
more nothing.

(Now Housecall claims I've got the QHosts.10 trojan but I've not found the
reported symptoms, including the file it says is uncleanable. Trying
Semantec's cleaner for the QHosts thing anyway, even though it is updated
only since last April & I've supposedly go this Downloader.GK that Panda
said I had, though again no proof it's actually there.)

Daniel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Daniel wrote:
> > Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having this same
> > problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there & NOT going anywhere!
> >
> > Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
> > SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
> > AdAware finds NOTHING!
> > AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds nothing else

but
> > some Java bug/security flaw which the program is worthless against as it
> > says it's a virus but then does nothing to get rid of it or tell what

needs
> > done)!
> > Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete files

I've
> > NEVER had & registry entries which have never been there.
> >
> > Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)
> >

> Daniel, I don't still have your previous posts at the ready, have you
> tried other AV programs? If it were me, I'd use them all until the
> infection is gone. Do a Google search for "online virus" and you'll see
> quite a few free AV online scanners. Trend Housecall, Panda,
> BitDefender, RAV among them. There are also trial versions of several
> "for pay" AV programs that you can use and then either buy or uninstall.

As expected, it's not there.

jils

good grief daniel
i hoped you'd sorted this out by now. how infuriating!
are you considering a reformat, as a last resort?

Daniel wrote:
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Daniel wrote:
>>
>>>Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having this same
>>>problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there & NOT going anywhere!
>>>
>>>Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
>>>SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
>>>AdAware finds NOTHING!
>>>AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds nothing else

> but
>
>>>some Java bug/security flaw which the program is worthless against as it
>>>says it's a virus but then does nothing to get rid of it or tell what

> needs
>
>>>done)!
>>>Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete files

> I've
>
>>>NEVER had & registry entries which have never been there.
>>>
>>>Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)
>>>

>>Daniel, I don't still have your previous posts at the ready, have you
>>tried other AV programs? If it were me, I'd use them all until the
>>infection is gone. Do a Google search for "online virus" and you'll see
>>quite a few free AV online scanners. Trend Housecall, Panda,
>>BitDefender, RAV among them. There are also trial versions of several
>>"for pay" AV programs that you can use and then either buy or uninstall.

> As expected, it's not there.

Mike

It is "Second Thought" spyware/hijacker.
Use the uninstaller here:
http://www.2nd-thought.com/uninstall.html

If you continue to have problems, look here:
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/371-p1.php

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:10:24 -0600, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Daniel scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Nathan

Daniel wrote:

> Now that I've had this for about 2 months, I'm still having this same
> problem of this RANDRECO.EXE which is still there & NOT going anywhere!
>
> Hijackthis Internet Explorer utility finds NOTHING!
> SpyBot Search & Destroy finds NOTHING!
> AdAware finds NOTHING!
> AVG (latest update) doesn't even know it exists (& finds nothing else but
> some Java bug/security flaw which the program is worthless against as it
> says it's a virus but then does nothing to get rid of it or tell what needs
> done)!
> Searching Google says that it does exist but asks me to delete files I've
> NEVER had & registry entries which have never been there.
>
> Any further ideas? (IE is crashing allot more lately too.)

Sorry I haven't read your other posts detailing what you have done to
get rid of this program. Here is what I do to get rid of anything that
Spybot doesn't clean on it's own...Or Norton's for that matter.

I do a search on my PC for the files, usually they are in the Windows
folder or the Windows/system32 folder, I delete the offending program.
Then I find the OTHER copy of the program by letting Search continue to
run. There is always a copy in Prefetch.
After I have deleted them, the problems usually stop. Then once a week
while I am defragging, and doing my virus scan, I do a Registry
Cleaning, if needed. RegCleaner is the one I use, but there are alot of
others.

I have never really had the problem of having them keep coming back, but
then I don't get many mal-ware programs anyway, since I set Spybot to
keep that stuff from DL'ing. (It's under Immunize, if you want to set it
up.)

BS

Pardon me if I'm asking a silly question, but have you tried using a DOS
boot disk and either renaming this randreco.exe executable to something else
or just deleting it?

BS