Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > a newbie linux question

a newbie linux question

georgia

hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it about
a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot about it.
I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I stuck the disks
in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single hitch. that is until I
tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working on that but I really
need some help.I'm hoping that one of those registered linux users that I
see here periodically will volunteer to explain the process to me in a
language I can understand. TIA ,Georgia...................

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

georgia wrote:

> hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it about
> a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot about it.
> I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I stuck the disks
> in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single hitch. that is until I
> tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working on that but I really
> need some help.I'm hoping that one of those registered linux users that I
> see here periodically will volunteer to explain the process to me in a
> language I can understand. TIA ,Georgia...................

I'm not a registered user, but my earlier version 7 of Redhat came with
Mozilla and it's nearly identical to set up email on Linux and Windows.
If it didn't come with Mozilla, you can download it.

Blinky the Shark

georgia wrote:

> hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it about
> a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot about it.
> I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I stuck the disks
> in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single hitch. that is until I
> tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working on that but I really
> need some help.I'm hoping that one of those registered linux users that I
> see here periodically will volunteer to explain the process to me in a

I don't *see*, up there, anything about what email application you're
trying to use. Did I just miss it? Didn't think so. How about
something on what *is* happening when you try? Mmmmm?

When you figure that out, you might want to drop in on a RH group...or
news.software.readers. That one's a good group and has a Linux camp.
But don't just post non-information like you did up above, or you won't
get much help there, either. "Doc, I hurt." "Where?" "You tell me!"

Meanwhile, setting up servers/user/password isn't really much different
from the same process in Windows. Plug in the info and go.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Parko

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:56:27 -0500, georgia wrote:

> hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it about
> a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot about it.
> I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I stuck the disks
> in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single hitch. that is until I
> tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working on that but I really
> need some help.I'm hoping that one of those registered linux users that I
> see here periodically will volunteer to explain the process to me in a
> language I can understand. TIA ,Georgia...................

OK, I assume you'll be using Evolution 1.xyz. Open it. Tools > Settings >
Mail Accounts > Add. Then follow the bouncing ball. You'll need the
address of your ISP's POP and SMTP servers, and your login details. That's
it. BTW download Evolution 2.x it comes with SpamAssassin, very neat.
Welcome to the world of Linux. One day you'll find yourself just not
booting into Windows.

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Parko

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:38:43 -0500, Rgr wrote:

> georgia wrote:
>
>> hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it about
>> a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot about it.
>> I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I stuck the disks
>> in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single hitch. that is until I
>> tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working on that but I really
>> need some help.I'm hoping that one of those registered linux users that I
>> see here periodically will volunteer to explain the process to me in a
>> language I can understand. TIA ,Georgia...................

> I'm not a registered user, but my earlier version 7 of Redhat came with
> Mozilla and it's nearly identical to set up email on Linux and Windows.
> If it didn't come with Mozilla, you can download it.

I've got RH 5.2 lurking about somewhere...
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345
Knowledge is power - Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

psion

georgia wrote:

> hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it about
> a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot about it.
> I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I stuck the disks
> in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single hitch. that is until I
> tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working on that but I really
> need some help.I'm hoping that one of those registered linux users that I
> see here periodically will volunteer to explain the process to me in a
> language I can understand. TIA ,Georgia...................

You'll have to follow step by step instructions like in Outlook, whenver
you open an email program in Linux. A first time wizard should pop up.

psion

Gary G. Taylor

georgia wrote:

> hi fellas, I bought a boxed linux redhat 9 with a set of 7 cd's in it
> about a year ago.I brought it home and threw it on the shelf and forgot
> about it. I was dreading the thought of installing it,but last night I
> stuck the disks in my cd rom drive and installed it without a single
> hitch. that is until I tried to setup my e-mail account. I'm still working
> on that but I really need some help.I'm hoping that one of those
> registered linux users that I see here periodically will volunteer to
> explain the process to me in a language I can understand. TIA

There are any number of clients available and it's really an embarrassment
of riches sorting out which one appeals to you. Try going to
http://linuxquestions.org and poking around there.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA