Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Compiling VHDL to EXE

Compiling VHDL to EXE

Arnaldo Oliveira

Hi,

Is there any way to create an executable application from a VHDL project
composed of several modules?
The idea is to have a standalone application with the simulation kernel
embedded and some input/output support to control the simulation and get
signal values.
Thank You.
Arnaldo.
Arnaldo Oliveira
Dep. de Electrónica e Telecomunicações
Universidade de Aveiro

Mario Trams

Arnaldo Oliveira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to create an executable application from a VHDL project
> composed of several modules?
> The idea is to have a standalone application with the simulation kernel
> embedded and some input/output support to control the simulation and get
> signal values.
> Thank You.

Hello Arnaldo,

I don't know whether there is a VHDL simulator that can do so
(theoretically, it should be possible).

But perhaps SystemC might be much more useful for your purpose
as you have much more freedom there.

Just check www.systemc.org.

Regards,
Mario

Arnaldo Oliveira

Hello Mario,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have already worked with SystemC.
However, my project (a processor IP core) is fully written in VHDL at RTL
level, which means that it can be directly synthesized and implemented with
the target technology implementation tools (in my case FPGA).
My goal (wish) is to use the same model for implementation and simulation
purposes.
More precisely, I would like to create a simulator with a user friendly
interface directly from the synthesizable VHDL source code.
With SystemC I can easily create a behavioral model of the processor and a
simulator but then I need some compilation tool to translate the behavioral
model to RTL VHDL.
That's my problem...
Basically I wouldn't like to buy an expensive behavioral synthesis tool, if
I already have the synthesizable VHDL model.
Thanks anyway for you answer.

Regards,
Arnaldo.

Arnaloif
"Mario Trams" <(E-Mail Removed)-chemnitz.de> wrote in message
news:bf8ss7$orb$(E-Mail Removed)-chemnitz.de...
> Arnaldo Oliveira wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any way to create an executable application from a VHDL project
> > composed of several modules?
> > The idea is to have a standalone application with the simulation kernel
> > embedded and some input/output support to control the simulation and get
> > signal values.
> > Thank You.

> Hello Arnaldo,
>
> I don't know whether there is a VHDL simulator that can do so
> (theoretically, it should be possible).
>
> But perhaps SystemC might be much more useful for your purpose
> as you have much more freedom there.
>
> Just check www.systemc.org.
>
> Regards,
> Mario

Mike Treseler

Arnaldo Oliveira wrote:

> Is there any way to create an executable application from a VHDL project
> composed of several modules?

Hmmm. The executable application is the vhdl simulator.
Your VHDL code is input data for the executable.

> The idea is to have a standalone application with the simulation kernel
> embedded and some input/output support to control the simulation and get
> signal values.

That defines a simulator. Writing one is a big project.

See:
http://www.staticfreesoft.com/manual/ElectricManual.pdf

-- Mike Treseler

Mario Trams

Hello Arnaldo,

> Thank you for your suggestion. I have already worked with SystemC.
> However, my project (a processor IP core) is fully written in VHDL at RTL
> level, which means that it can be directly synthesized and implemented
> with the target technology implementation tools (in my case FPGA).
> My goal (wish) is to use the same model for implementation and simulation
> purposes.
> More precisely, I would like to create a simulator with a user friendly
> interface directly from the synthesizable VHDL source code.
> With SystemC I can easily create a behavioral model of the processor and a
> simulator but then I need some compilation tool to translate the
> behavioral model to RTL VHDL.
> That's my problem...
> Basically I wouldn't like to buy an expensive behavioral synthesis tool,
> if I already have the synthesizable VHDL model.

Ahh, ok. I see.
I just made a quick google for "vhdl to systemc" and found that:
http://www-ti.informatik.uni-tuebing...d_content.html

There is a VHDL to SystemC converter for RTL designs.
Perhaps that is working for your processor model as well.

Regards,
Mario

Digital Force / Mario Trams http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-chemnitz.de
(E-Mail Removed)
Chemnitz University of Technology http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~mtr
Dept. of Computer Science Tel.: (+49) 371 531 1660
Chair of Computer Architecture Fax.: (+49) 371 531 1818

Arnaldo Oliveira

Hi!

Thanks again for your suggestions
Now I have two ways to try: GHDL and VHDL2SystemC converter.
Regards,
Arnaldo.

"Mario Trams" <(E-Mail Removed)-chemnitz.de> wrote in message
news:bf9n9g$9qc$(E-Mail Removed)-chemnitz.de...
Hello Arnaldo,

> Thank you for your suggestion. I have already worked with SystemC.
> However, my project (a processor IP core) is fully written in VHDL at RTL
> level, which means that it can be directly synthesized and implemented
> with the target technology implementation tools (in my case FPGA).
> My goal (wish) is to use the same model for implementation and simulation
> purposes.
> More precisely, I would like to create a simulator with a user friendly
> interface directly from the synthesizable VHDL source code.
> With SystemC I can easily create a behavioral model of the processor and a
> simulator but then I need some compilation tool to translate the
> behavioral model to RTL VHDL.
> That's my problem...
> Basically I wouldn't like to buy an expensive behavioral synthesis tool,
> if I already have the synthesizable VHDL model.

Ahh, ok. I see.
I just made a quick google for "vhdl to systemc" and found that:
http://www-ti.informatik.uni-tuebing...d_content.html

There is a VHDL to SystemC converter for RTL designs.
Perhaps that is working for your processor model as well.

Regards,
Mario

Digital Force / Mario Trams (E-Mail Removed)-chemnitz.de