Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PDF won't open in IE

PDF won't open in IE

El Llanero Solidario

In the past, whenever I clicked onto a page containing a PDF document,
Acrobat was launched and I could inmediately see the document.
Nowadays my computers refuses to let me see PDF's within IE, I have to "save
it as" and then open it. I am using IE 6, Acrobat Reader 6, Norton Antivirus
2003 and the Norton Internet Security.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jorge

PC

"El Llanero Solidario" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BqHxd.27736$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the past, whenever I clicked onto a page containing a PDF document,
> Acrobat was launched and I could inmediately see the document.
> Nowadays my computers refuses to let me see PDF's within IE, I have to
> "save
> it as" and then open it. I am using IE 6, Acrobat Reader 6, Norton
> Antivirus
> 2003 and the Norton Internet Security.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jorge

Jorge

Don't know the cause, but it seems to be tied up with SP2 and Acrobat
plugins.

Temporary fix is to move the plugins from Acrobat Readers plugin folder to
another location.

Worked for me and a couple of my clients, most pdf's still seemed to open
ok.

Cheers
Paul.

why?

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:24:49 GMT, El Llanero Solidario wrote:

>In the past, whenever I clicked onto a page containing a PDF document,
>Acrobat was launched and I could inmediately see the document.
>Nowadays my computers refuses to let me see PDF's within IE, I have to "save
>it as" and then open it. I am using IE 6, Acrobat Reader 6, Norton Antivirus
>2003 and the Norton Internet Security.
>
>What am I doing wrong?

Didn't say what OS

Most likely nothing, had this at work and there is enough on google
about it. Check www.google.com .

There wasn't a fix IIRC, but a workaround. In Windows Explorer / Tools
/ Folder Options / File Types / find the entry for PDF / Advanced /
select the action 'open' / tick or untick - open in a new window.

Me

why?

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:24:49 GMT, El Llanero Solidario wrote:

>In the past, whenever I clicked onto a page containing a PDF document,
>Acrobat was launched and I could inmediately see the document.

<snip>

Missed a bit. If the View options change doesn't work (our work PCs had
an image built from IE4 SP2 which had the desktop addin for view
settings, then upgraded to 5.5/6, the addin was missing from IE 5 and
above)

This did work,

Open Acrobat Reader / Edit / Preferences (for v5/6) / Internet / tick
or untick Display PDF in browser.

Me

LAH

"El Llanero Solidario" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BqHxd.27736$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the past, whenever I clicked onto a page containing a PDF document,
> Acrobat was launched and I could inmediately see the document.
> Nowadays my computers refuses to let me see PDF's within IE, I have to

"save
> it as" and then open it. I am using IE 6, Acrobat Reader 6, Norton

Antivirus
> 2003 and the Norton Internet Security.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jorge

I had a similar problem that was fixed by unchecking "Allow Fast Web View".
In Adobe Acrobat 5.0 (full version) you can find that at
Edit/Tools/General/Options/uncheck Allow Fast Web View". It takes slightly
longer to view the documents but I've never had any problems since. Hope
this helps.

El Llanero Solidario

Thanks everyone!

This worked for me:

Display PDF in browser MUST remain unchecked. Once you've done that,
everything goes back to normal!

There's even a page dedicated to this problem(!)

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/pdf.htm

Thanks again,

Jorge