Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 98 wont boot on new mobo

98 wont boot on new mobo

TJ

No surprise perhaps when I transferred my HDD to a new MSI AMD board,
the board works OK but Win 98 won't boot. Nor does Suse Linux 9.1
proceed to install itself from a bootable CD ROM onto the HDD.

I don't really want to FDISK and install Win 98 from scratch on the
HDD if I can avoid it.

Ideas please.
TJ

Ingeborg

"TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1103556702.135911.165660
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> No surprise perhaps when I transferred my HDD to a new MSI AMD board,
> the board works OK but Win 98 won't boot. Nor does Suse Linux 9.1
> proceed to install itself from a bootable CD ROM onto the HDD.
>
> I don't really want to FDISK and install Win 98 from scratch on the
> HDD if I can avoid it.
>
> Ideas please.
> TJ

What happens when you try?

h/p/a/v/c

FDISK /MBR ??

greetz!

"TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> No surprise perhaps when I transferred my HDD to a new MSI AMD board,
> the board works OK but Win 98 won't boot. Nor does Suse Linux 9.1
> proceed to install itself from a bootable CD ROM onto the HDD.
>
> I don't really want to FDISK and install Win 98 from scratch on the
> HDD if I can avoid it.
>
> Ideas please.
> TJ

°Mike°

Another post with a overabundance of information.
Why would you say "no surprise"?

On 20 Dec 2004 07:31:42 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>
TJ scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

TJ

The situation has evolved to where the drive will boot up to different
degrees before stopping. Which worries me even more as this could mean
the board or processor is unstable. Although I did manage to run Tuff
Test Lite through on DOS and the video tests and all else passed.

Transferring a hard drive from one mobo to another doesn't necessarily
mean the registry gets so screwed up, or cans check and back up that
you can't put the drive back where you took it from. But I previously
had this drive on a Pentium 2 PC before trying it on this (slow) 700
AMD Duron MSI board. which I will upgrade to a 2400 Sempron sometime
soon.

As it happens the 700 Duron shows a clock speed of 933MHZ on start up
Something else which makes me thing the board or CPU might be unstable.

Thanks for any help.
TJ

Ingeborg wrote:
> "TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1103556702.135911.165660
> @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>
> > No surprise perhaps when I transferred my HDD to a new MSI AMD

board,
> > the board works OK but Win 98 won't boot. Nor does Suse Linux 9.1
> > proceed to install itself from a bootable CD ROM onto the HDD.
> >
> > I don't really want to FDISK and install Win 98 from scratch on

the
> > HDD if I can avoid it.
> >
> > Ideas please.
> > TJ
> >

> What happens when you try?

Ron Martell

"TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No surprise perhaps when I transferred my HDD to a new MSI AMD board,
>the board works OK but Win 98 won't boot. Nor does Suse Linux 9.1
>proceed to install itself from a bootable CD ROM onto the HDD.
>
>I don't really want to FDISK and install Win 98 from scratch on the
>HDD if I can avoid it.
>
>Ideas please.
>TJ

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

If so then use Start - Run - REGEDIT.
Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section
Locate the Enum folder and select it.
Use File - Save to save the contents to a .reg file on your desktop or
in an easily-locatable folder
Use Edit - Delete to delete the enter Enum folder
Exit REGEDIT, shut down and restart the computer normally,

It will now detect and load the appropriate drivers, configuration
settings, etc. for your new motherboard.

You will probably need the drivers CD that came with your new
motherboard and it will probably take several restarts to finish
detecting and installing the various hardware components.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

hawhaw

Its' because the new board requires different chipset drivers,
controllers...etc, your hdd is full of differnt boot settings which are
looking for or trying to use the old boards stuff.

Noel Paton

> Another post with a overabundance of information.
> Why would you say "no surprise"?

Because every previously-installed driver is the wrong one - and Win9x tends
to get upset at that point, refusing to go any further.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm

Noel Paton

Try booting to Safe Mode - if that works, then open Regedit, and remove the
entire contents of the HKDD\Config Manager\Enum branch
Reboot to Normal Mode, and Windows should reinstall everything (with any
luck!! - make sure you have your CD handy!!!)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm