Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Environment Variables in WinXPpro? (Also missing AUTOEXEC.BAT)

Environment Variables in WinXPpro? (Also missing AUTOEXEC.BAT)

Ron Martell

Technot So Saavy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a question.
>
>So, here's the question:
>
> (whew, it's hard to formulate the question)
>
>The question is where'd the correct file go? If you've taken it, *give*
>*me* *back* *my* *file* - *now* or I'll report ya to the Spam kops!
>

>All my malware scans are coming up clean, and every other thing seems to
>be normal and stable as far as routine day-to-day operations are going.
>

>OK, like if I want to ping, I have to launch WindowsXP Command Prompt
>interface, and then change directories [from the current user account] by
>drilling down to C:\Windows\System32 before Windows will recognize the
>"ping.exe" [or any other small Windows utility in that directory - like
>tracert or tracert6, etc.].
>
>So, what's up with that?
>
>Otherwise I get this response if I enter "ping 204.1.226.228" [for
>example only]: "'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external
>command, operable program or batch file." - then I am returned to the
>current directory's prompt. Until I drill down, then it works.
>
>I could probably do a workaround and create an autoexec.bat on C:\ and
>direct "command" to the directory, but how do I make it a [hidden and
>protected] system file, and where did it go, and where can I get another
>one, and where is the file that contains the Environment Variables [the
>*file*, not the system interface] - and then isn't this merely a cheesy
>workaround when somewhere in my system it should be directing common and
>usual Command Prompt entries to the correct WinXP directory?
>
>Thanks for any accurate information on this perplexing Windows conundrum.

Autoexec.bat is not processed as part of the startup in Windows XP.
This is also true for Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows Me.

To set environment variables in Windows XP use Control Panel - System
- Advanced and click on the Environment Variables button

To set up items that were included in the autoexec.bat or config.sys
files under Windows 98 and earlier add the requisite lines to the
autoexec.nt and/or config.nt files in the \windows\system folder.
These will be processed whenever a 16 bit application is run or a DOS
emulation Window is opened.

To launch a program automatically at Startup where the program itself
lacks a configuration setting to do so you need to create a shortcut
and include that shortcut in the Startup group on the Start menu.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP