Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > London Taxi Drivers

London Taxi Drivers

Dunc

An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
such an impediment here.

Yddap

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Dunc <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very noisily:
> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
> such an impediment here.

Colloquially known as " The Knowledge "
suggest a Google

--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Dunc

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:51:04 GMT, "Yddap" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>Dunc <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very noisily:
>> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
>> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
>> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
>> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
>> such an impediment here.

>Colloquially known as " The Knowledge "
>suggest a Google

Thanks, Yddap. "Blue Book" brought a lot of answers

wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>Dunc <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very noisily:
>> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
>> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
>> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
>> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
>> such an impediment here.

>Colloquially known as " The Knowledge "
>suggest a Google

And that brought up 135,000,000 entries, but it took only .19 secs

SgtMinor

Dunc wrote:
> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
> such an impediment here.

Enroll here: http://www.kpmknowledgeschool.com/faq.htm

Dunc

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:59:12 -0500, SgtMinor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dunc wrote:
>> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
>> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
>> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
>> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
>> such an impediment here.

>Enroll here: http://www.kpmknowledgeschool.com/faq.htm

That is a very comprhensive site, Sarge. Many thanks.

Richard

Dunc wrote:

> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
> such an impediment here.

When applying for the job, they are interviewed.
They are asked what is the most direct route from point a to point b.
If the route is wrong, they failed the interview and they are not told what
the correct route is.

I am assuming that their "blue book" refers to the various "shortest
routes".

This was shown on one of the tv shows like "60 minutes" or something.

WormWood

"Dunc" wrote:

> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
> such an impediment here.

This doesn't answer your question, but in the US the "Blue Book" is
where to find the resale value of used cars.

Jim

R map_B print- follow the yellow brick road, and if it's crimbo charge e'm
double!.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dunc wrote:
>
>> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
>> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
>> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
>> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
>> such an impediment here.

> When applying for the job, they are interviewed.
> They are asked what is the most direct route from point a to point b.
> If the route is wrong, they failed the interview and they are not told
> what
> the correct route is.
>
> I am assuming that their "blue book" refers to the various "shortest
> routes".
>
> This was shown on one of the tv shows like "60 minutes" or something.

---

Dunc

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:10:53 -0500, "WormWood"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dunc" wrote:
>
>> An intriquing bit of trivia showed up in our local paper. Says that
>> London taxi drivers must pass a test based on the "Blue Book" and that
>> this test takes anywhere from two to four years. Also that 80% drop
>> out in the process. What is the "Blue Book"? Methinks we need
>> such an impediment here.
>>

>This doesn't answer your question, but in the US the "Blue Book" is
>where to find the resale value of used cars.

In Canada, also. The definitive answer was from Sgt. Minor - a
great website.