Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AOL Uninstall: Won't Work ?

AOL Uninstall: Won't Work ?

Robert11

Hi,

Have a new Dell PC that came with AOL installed on it.

Want to remove all this AOL garbage, but going to Control Panel, and using
the Uninstall function, all that comes up is an AOL page saying that "Wait
while they check for the AOL version".

Nothing ever happens, andf it hangs.
Going to Explorer/AOL, and clickining on the Uninstall icon brings up the
same result, and hangup.

Are they just being cute, and preventing uninstalls, or is there really a
problem ?

How do I get rid of AOL correctly ?

Thanks,
Bob

DC

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,

> Have a new Dell PC that came with AOL installed on it.

Mistake number one.

> Want to remove all this AOL garbage, but going to Control Panel, and using
> the Uninstall function, all that comes up is an AOL page saying that "Wait
> while they check for the AOL version".

Heh. They're probably pre-authorising your credit card for the 20 or so
payments that they will take *after* you've cancelled your service.

Just kidding (or am I)?

http://www.jameshoyer.com/news_wsj_cancel.html

Horror stories abound.

> Nothing ever happens, andf it hangs.
> Going to Explorer/AOL, and clickining on the Uninstall icon brings up the
> same result, and hangup.

> Are they just being cute, and preventing uninstalls, or is there really a
> problem ?

They think so, yes, AOL.

> How do I get rid of AOL correctly ?

Best solution is to wipe your harddrive and reinstall your OS. I'm not
giving you the lazy solution, here. I don't know of anyone who ever
successfully removed AOL from a system without breaking it. It's a
bloody mess.

> Thanks,
> Bob

Don't thank me yet. Your weekend just went up in smoke. }:O)

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

It's not the software that's free; it's you.

Daniel

And how does this person reinstall there OS without also reinstalling the
AOL? Most computers, especially DELL, have a reinstall disk that puts all
that stuff back on there. He could try using a regular uninstall program
from Symantec like SystemWorks. Or can just not worry about the stuff - My
eMachines still has lots of stuff I never use and I just ignore it.

Dan

"DC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Robert11 wrote:
> > Hi,

> > Have a new Dell PC that came with AOL installed on it.

> Mistake number one.
>
> > Want to remove all this AOL garbage, but going to Control Panel, and

using
> > the Uninstall function, all that comes up is an AOL page saying that

"Wait
> > while they check for the AOL version".

> Heh. They're probably pre-authorising your credit card for the 20 or so
> payments that they will take *after* you've cancelled your service.
>
> Just kidding (or am I)?
>
> http://www.jameshoyer.com/news_wsj_cancel.html
>
> Horror stories abound.
>
> > Nothing ever happens, andf it hangs.
> > Going to Explorer/AOL, and clickining on the Uninstall icon brings up

the
> > same result, and hangup.

> > Are they just being cute, and preventing uninstalls, or is there really

> > problem ?

> They think so, yes, AOL.
>
> > How do I get rid of AOL correctly ?

> Best solution is to wipe your harddrive and reinstall your OS. I'm not
> giving you the lazy solution, here. I don't know of anyone who ever
> successfully removed AOL from a system without breaking it. It's a
> bloody mess.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Bob

> Don't thank me yet. Your weekend just went up in smoke. }:O)
>
> --
> DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
>
> It's not the software that's free; it's you.

Toolman Tim

Dell does *NOT* use a system recovery disk of the type you are refering to.
They ship an XP CD, a drivers disk, and a disk for applications.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Daniel wrote:
> "DC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Robert11 wrote:

[...]

>> > How do I get rid of AOL correctly ?

>> Best solution is to wipe your harddrive and reinstall your OS. I'm not
>> giving you the lazy solution, here. I don't know of anyone who ever
>> successfully removed AOL from a system without breaking it. It's a
>> bloody mess.

> And how does this person reinstall there OS without also reinstalling the
> AOL? Most computers, especially DELL, have a reinstall disk that puts all
> that stuff back on there.

Mistake number two.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

It's not the software that's free; it's you.

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have a new Dell PC that came with AOL installed on it.
>
> Want to remove all this AOL garbage, but going to Control Panel, and
> using the Uninstall function, all that comes up is an AOL page saying
> that "Wait while they check for the AOL version".
>
> Nothing ever happens, andf it hangs.
> Going to Explorer/AOL, and clickining on the Uninstall icon brings up
> the same result, and hangup.
>
> Are they just being cute, and preventing uninstalls, or is there
> really a problem ?
>
> How do I get rid of AOL correctly ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Format and reinstall XP. There is no other way.
on salads.

Blinky the Shark

Robert11 wrote:

> Hi,

Hello.

> Have a new Dell PC that came with AOL installed on it.

Bummer.

> Want to remove all this AOL garbage, but going to Control Panel, and using
> the Uninstall function, all that comes up is an AOL page saying that "Wait
> while they check for the AOL version".

> Nothing ever happens, andf it hangs.

It found your version. Your version is ... <wait for it> ... The
Version That Can't Be Removed.

They gotcha!

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Plato

Robert11 wrote:

> Have a new Dell PC that came with AOL installed on it.

Puppies are commonly born with worms. Too bad there is no de-AOL pill
out there.

x@y

Hello "Robert11"!!

See here: http://www.ursoftware.com/uninstaller.htm

Google it for another dozen of programs.
I never used any of them, I cannot recommend any
from experience. Good Luck x@y.

<>===========<>============<>===========<>

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message ...
> Hi,
>
> Have a new Dell PC that came with AOL installed on it.
>
> Want to remove all this AOL garbage, but going to Control
> Panel, and using
> the Uninstall function, all that comes up is an AOL page saying
> that "Wait while they check for the AOL version".
>
> Nothing ever happens, andf it hangs.
> Going to Explorer/AOL, and clickining on the Uninstall icon
> brings up the same result, and hangup.
>
> Are they just being cute, and preventing uninstalls, or is
> there really a problem ?
>
> How do I get rid of AOL correctly ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

sparkyuiop sparkyuiop is offline
Junior Member

Use windows search to search for 'All files and folders' and type 'AOL', click the 'More advanced options' and check the boxes for, 'Search system folders / Search hidden files and folders / Search subfolders'.
Click 'Search'
There will be many files located and it is possible that not all of them will be for AOL although all of mine were as 'aol' is not a common set of letters that go together. Example: If you have a file called 'Lambada old.mpg' which is a video file you downloaded, it will also be displayed in the search results because your computer will see the letters 'LambadA OLd.mpg'. Obviously you don't want to delete that interesting sounding example!
If you are unsure hold your mouse pointer over the location text, 'i.e. C:/documents and settings/Ow...' until the full location is displayed, 'C:/documents and settings/Owner/My Videos/Lambada old.mpg'.
Once you know all of the files that you want to keep, right click each one of the determined AOL files and delete them. There are many I know but using 'select all' and 'delete' will not work easily in this case as you will be left with five or so files that you can't delete and it will stop the deleting process.
Once you have done this you will see a few folders left that you can't delete and a few system files (I forget their names, sorry but it doesn't matter it will be obvious enough as the system file will be displayed with an unidentified type icon.
There is one file that you will need to go to manually and that’s, ‘Recent Documents’. Follow the address bar and open the file. Delete any shortcuts / files inside.
Press 'Control / Alt / Delete' together until the 'Windows task manager is displayed', Click 'Processes' and look for the system file you found in search and were unable to delete.
IGNORE ANY OTHER AOL PROCESS SUCH AS 'AOLSOFTWARE.EXE' FOR PRESENT.
Left click the system file once, and then click, ‘End Process’. A dialog box will appear with a warning about ending the process, just click, ‘Yes’.
Now you can do the same for any other AOL process. When you have done, check to make sure that none of the AOL processes have restarted.
Hopefully if all has gone well you can now delete the rest of the found AOL files.
Now perform the search again as described earlier and any AOL file should be located in the ‘Recycle Bin’.
Go to ‘Control Panel, Click ‘Add / Remove Programs’ and click the AOL entry. You should be told that there is an error and would you like to remove it from the list, click ‘Yes’.
Reboot your computer. If all is OK and you get no errors then empty your recycle bin and your done!
Hope this has been of some help to you.
Sparkyuiop.