Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "Open Office": First Impressions Of, & What Do Others Think Also ?

"Open Office": First Impressions Of, & What Do Others Think Also ?

Gordon

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just curious what others think:
>
> I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
> programs "Open Office"
>
> Wow !
>
> Really works well.
>
> Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?
>
> Am I missing anything ?
>
> Bob

The latest version even has the equivalent of Pivot tables as well!

Robert11

Hi,

Just curious what others think:

I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
programs "Open Office"

Wow !

Really works well.

Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?

Am I missing anything ?

Bob

Toolman Tim

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi,
|
| Just curious what others think:
|
| I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
| programs "Open Office"
|
| Wow !
|
| Really works well.
|
| Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?
|
| Am I missing anything ?

Yes. Bloatware, MS activation, and a few little features that few people
remember how to use anyway <g>

There may be more, but if you're happy with it, then that's what matters!

Duane Arnold

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:NqudnVGwcrBq6FncRVn-

> Hi,
>
> Just curious what others think:
>
> I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
> programs "Open Office"
>
> Wow !
>
> Really works well.
>
> Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?
>
> Am I missing anything ?
>
> Bob

There is a lot of things one can to with the MS Office products programming
wise with examples in books on how to interface with them and use the
features such as MS Word Spell Checker in other applications, Excel, etc,
etc. I use Linux and Open Office too and it's nothing to be pulling your
'draws' down to your ankles about. It's just another product.

Duane

Gordon

Duane Arnold wrote:
> "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:NqudnVGwcrBq6FncRVn-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just curious what others think:
>>
>> I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
>> programs "Open Office"
>>
>> Wow !
>>
>> Really works well.
>>
>> Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?
>>
>> Am I missing anything ?
>>
>> Bob
>>

> There is a lot of things one can to with the MS Office products
> programming wise with examples in books on how to interface with them
> and use the features such as MS Word Spell Checker in other
> applications, Excel, etc, etc. I use Linux and Open Office too and
> it's nothing to be pulling your 'draws' down to your ankles about.
> It's just another product.
>
> Duane

The point is, your average "Joe Public" doesn't use more than 25% of the
functionality of the Office applications, for which they pay a large sum of
money in anybody's language. Open Office does EVERYTHING that "Joe Public"
generally uses, is compatible with Office, and is free. What more could "Joe
Public" want? And yet MS is pushing Office like it's going out of fashion as
being the de facto default Office suite. As I said, why should "Joe Public"
pay huge sums of money for something they only use 25% of?

Duane Arnold

"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Duane Arnold wrote:
>> "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:NqudnVGwcrBq6FncRVn-
>> (E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just curious what others think:
>>>
>>> I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
>>> programs "Open Office"
>>>
>>> Wow !
>>>
>>> Really works well.
>>>
>>> Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?
>>>
>>> Am I missing anything ?
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> There is a lot of things one can to with the MS Office products
>> programming wise with examples in books on how to interface with them
>> and use the features such as MS Word Spell Checker in other
>> applications, Excel, etc, etc. I use Linux and Open Office too and
>> it's nothing to be pulling your 'draws' down to your ankles about.
>> It's just another product.
>>
>> Duane

> The point is, your average "Joe Public" doesn't use more than 25% of
> the functionality of the Office applications, for which they pay a
> large sum of money in anybody's language. Open Office does EVERYTHING
> that "Joe Public" generally uses, is compatible with Office, and is
> free. What more could "Joe Public" want? And yet MS is pushing Office
> like it's going out of fashion as being the de facto default Office
> suite. As I said, why should "Joe Public" pay huge sums of money for
> something they only use 25% of?

Who cares about the Joe Public point? Joe Public can barely get a computer
to do anything period. Something being free doesn't make it a better
product. And why would someone pay money for a product? It's because of the
documentation and support behind it, ease of use and my favorite word
*Capitalism*. The average Joe or any other kind of Joe doesn't have Linux
on their machine and its going to be a long long long long time before it
happens. And if you think that this really means anything in the long run
about Office being free or not free, then pull your draws up.

Duane

Plato

Gordon wrote:

> The point is, your average "Joe Public" doesn't use more than 25% of the
> functionality of the Office applications, for which they pay a large sum of

My guess would be that 25% might even be too high.

Old Gringo

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just curious what others think:
>
> I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
> programs "Open Office"
>
> Wow !
>
> Really works well.
>
> Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?
>
> Am I missing anything ?
>
> Bob

Very nice program based on Sun Micro Systems StarOffice 5.2 which was
spectacular when it was available. Good Luck

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere