Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Q. My Internet Browser just comes back with http:/// and "The Page Cannot be displayed"

Q. My Internet Browser just comes back with http:/// and "The Page Cannot be displayed"

George

Hi,

Any time I tried to select a page to click on, right after I dial up,
instead of giving me the page I want, it comes back with:

http:///

In the URL space,
and the page says:

The Page Cannot be Displayed.

Any ideas?
George

Jay

"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Any time I tried to select a page to click on, right after I dial up,
> instead of giving me the page I want, it comes back with:
>
> http:///
>
> In the URL space,
> and the page says:
>
> The Page Cannot be Displayed.
>
> Any ideas?

What OS ?
What browser ? Dialup proprietary? IE? NS? Mozilla? the macintosh one?
What dialup-provider?

Do you have a valid IP address? start/run/winipcfg and choose ethernet
adaptor in Win95/98/me or start/run/cmd or command (depending on version) in
winNT/2000/XP, type in ipconfig. check IP address. shouldnt be 169.*.*.* or
0.0.0.0.

in that black window (command prompt you pulled up by cmd in start/run) type
in ' ping yahoo.com ' without the quotes - does it say reply from ... or
request timed out? if it says timed out, you arent connected and need to
contact your ISP for further support.

if you get reply from, your browser may be fubar'd. may be a browser
hijacker, may be settings required from your ISP. may be proxy or lan
settings incorrect. may not be seeing the dialup connection if its not
proprietary dialup browser.

im leaning towards incorrect settings a browser hijacker.

Peace
Jay
www.volted.com

George

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:56:05 -0600, "Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any time I tried to select a page to click on, right after I dial up,
>> instead of giving me the page I want, it comes back with:
>>
>> http:///
>>
>> In the URL space,
>> and the page says:
>>
>> The Page Cannot be Displayed.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

>What OS ?
>What browser ? Dialup proprietary? IE? NS? Mozilla? the macintosh one?
>What dialup-provider?
>

>Do you have a valid IP address? start/run/winipcfg and choose ethernet
>adaptor in Win95/98/me or start/run/cmd or command (depending on version) in
>winNT/2000/XP, type in ipconfig. check IP address. shouldnt be 169.*.*.* or
>0.0.0.0.
>
>in that black window (command prompt you pulled up by cmd in start/run) type
>in ' ping yahoo.com ' without the quotes - does it say reply from ... or
>request timed out? if it says timed out, you arent connected and need to
>contact your ISP for further support.
>
>if you get reply from, your browser may be fubar'd. may be a browser
>hijacker, may be settings required from your ISP. may be proxy or lan
>settings incorrect. may not be seeing the dialup connection if its not
>proprietary dialup browser.
>
>im leaning towards incorrect settings a browser hijacker.
>
>Peace
>Jay
>www.volted.com

Jay,

Thanks for your helpful insight. It turns out it may very well have
been a hijacker, on my Win2000, since re-installed, all service packs
and updates installed, and everything seems happy, once again.

I had to re-install anyway, as I needed to widen my c: partition
anyway.

Could you give me a site, that explains about hijackers, spyware,
etc., on a very elementary level?

Thanks, George

samuel

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (George) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

...cut..

> Could you give me a site, that explains about hijackers,
> spyware, etc., on a very elementary level?
>
> Thanks, George

spyware information:

http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

alt.comp.anti-virus