Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ROUTER AND USB FRUSTRATIONS - HELP PLEASE

ROUTER AND USB FRUSTRATIONS - HELP PLEASE

graham.kettles@ntlworld.com

I received in the post today my new Belkin 4 port cable/dsl router.

Hey ho I thought, this will allow me to connect both my wifes computer
and my computer to the internet via our NTL broadband connection.

My heart sank when I discovered that the damn router does not seem to
be designed for connecting PCs via the USB sockets of the PC, and
thats all we seem to have coming out of the PCs for internet link.

So, all you clever people, please help by advising me what I do now?

Do I have to get some kind of ethernet card thingy stuck into both
machines ? And if so which one do you suggest?

Or is there some other whizo solution I have no idea about.

PS - Why do they call it a Universal SB , when it aint universal even
when it comes to router - pc connectivity ?

Yours frustrated . (Well , not really, just means I keep the only
internet connection we have to myself for a bit longer , he he )
Graham

Yddap

In news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very
noisily:
> I received in the post today my new Belkin 4 port cable/dsl router.
>
> Hey ho I thought, this will allow me to connect both my wifes computer
> and my computer to the internet via our NTL broadband connection.
>
> My heart sank when I discovered that the damn router does not seem to
> be designed for connecting PCs via the USB sockets of the PC, and
> thats all we seem to have coming out of the PCs for internet link.
>
> So, all you clever people, please help by advising me what I do now?
>
> Do I have to get some kind of ethernet card thingy stuck into both
> machines ? And if so which one do you suggest?
>
> Or is there some other whizo solution I have no idea about.
>
> PS - Why do they call it a Universal SB , when it aint universal even
> when it comes to router - pc connectivity ?
>
> Yours frustrated . (Well , not really, just means I keep the only
> internet connection we have to myself for a bit longer , he he )
> Graham

Best place to ask would be an internal NTL networking group
I am with Blueyonder , with a Motorola SB 4100 modem . use a Belkin 4 port
wired router and I connect it via Ethernet not USB
Have you got an ethernet port on your Mobo (s) if so it could be easy
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Jerry G.

All network systems normally use Ethernet. All PC sold today come with an
Ethernet facility as a standard option. If your machines do not have an
Ethernet card, go out and get one. Install the cards, and run the
driver-set-up disk that comes with the cards.

You will also have to buy the necessary patch cables for all your hardware.
For your high speed modem there will be some set-ups to do in the router,
and most likely in the modem that will have to be done. The modem should be
connected to the WAN port on the back of the router.

As for the networking set-up in your machines, the default should normally
work. In your browser, and email software, you will have to tell it that you
are not using a dialup service, if you are using a high speed modem
connected to the router. You will therefore be using the LAN option.

This is the industry standard that is used for connecting PC's together, and
also using broadband internet service.

--

Jerry G.
=====

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
[...]

Flying Rat

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I received in the post today my new Belkin 4 port cable/dsl router.
>
> Hey ho I thought, this will allow me to connect both my wifes computer
> and my computer to the internet via our NTL broadband connection.
>
> My heart sank when I discovered that the damn router does not seem to
> be designed for connecting PCs via the USB sockets of the PC, and
> thats all we seem to have coming out of the PCs for internet link.
>
> So, all you clever people, please help by advising me what I do now?
>
> Do I have to get some kind of ethernet card thingy stuck into both
> machines ? And if so which one do you suggest?
>
> Or is there some other whizo solution I have no idea about.
>
> PS - Why do they call it a Universal SB , when it aint universal even
> when it comes to router - pc connectivity ?
>
> Yours frustrated . (Well , not really, just means I keep the only
> internet connection we have to myself for a bit longer , he he )
> Graham

buy a couple of ethernet cards, they can be found for as little as four
quid a go.

Ethernet is a much superior way of connecting broadband equipment than
USB anyway, and Windows will usually recognise/configure the cards
automatically. Any decent (IOW not PCWorld) computer shop will have them
in stock along with the cables if you need any.

FR

me here at www.flyingrat.net

SgtMinor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I received in the post today my new Belkin 4 port cable/dsl router.
>
> Hey ho I thought, this will allow me to connect both my wifes computer
> and my computer to the internet via our NTL broadband connection.
>
> My heart sank when I discovered that the damn router does not seem to
> be designed for connecting PCs via the USB sockets of the PC, and
> thats all we seem to have coming out of the PCs for internet link.
>
> So, all you clever people, please help by advising me what I do now?
>
> Do I have to get some kind of ethernet card thingy stuck into both
> machines ? And if so which one do you suggest?
>
> Or is there some other whizo solution I have no idea about.
>
> PS - Why do they call it a Universal SB , when it aint universal even
> when it comes to router - pc connectivity ?
>
> Yours frustrated . (Well , not really, just means I keep the only
> internet connection we have to myself for a bit longer , he he )
> Graham

Most computers built in the past 4 - 5 years have an NIC port, but if
yours doesn't:

You could buy some adapters: http://makeashorterlink.com/?V24455B0A

but cards would be cheaper: http://makeashorterlink.com/?F27426B0A

graham.kettles@ntlworld.com

Well thanks a lot flying rat for such a quick and good answer mate.

Can I be really chheky and ask you to suggest a name of an ethernet
card and a supplier (I would normally just go to PC world - mug that I
am). Also can I install these myself ?

Flying Rat wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I received in the post today my new Belkin 4 port cable/dsl router.
> >
> > Hey ho I thought, this will allow me to connect both my wifes

computer
> > and my computer to the internet via our NTL broadband connection.
> >
> > My heart sank when I discovered that the damn router does not seem

> > be designed for connecting PCs via the USB sockets of the PC, and
> > thats all we seem to have coming out of the PCs for internet link.
> >
> > So, all you clever people, please help by advising me what I do

now?

> > Do I have to get some kind of ethernet card thingy stuck into both
> > machines ? And if so which one do you suggest?
> >
> > Or is there some other whizo solution I have no idea about.
> >
> > PS - Why do they call it a Universal SB , when it aint universal

even
> > when it comes to router - pc connectivity ?
> >
> > Yours frustrated . (Well , not really, just means I keep the only
> > internet connection we have to myself for a bit longer , he he )
> > Graham
> >

> buy a couple of ethernet cards, they can be found for as little as

four
> quid a go.
>
> Ethernet is a much superior way of connecting broadband equipment

than
> USB anyway, and Windows will usually recognise/configure the cards
> automatically. Any decent (IOW not PCWorld) computer shop will have

them
> in stock along with the cables if you need any.
>
> FR
> --
>
> me here at www.flyingrat.net

graham.kettles@ntlworld.com

Thanks a lot Jerry. Most helpful. I am on NTL BROADBAND. Can you
recommend an ethernet card for both machines by any chance. And can I
install these myself ?

For patch cables. I assume I need three ethernet (CAT 5 ?) cables one
for each PC to the router and one from the modem to the router ?

Will I have to re-install my NTL connection from scratch as well?
Sorry for the dumbo questions mate.

Graham

Lady Chatterly

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Thanks a lot Jerry. Most helpful. I am on NTL BROADBAND. Can you
>recommend an ethernet card for both machines by any chance. And can I
>install these myself ?
>
>For patch cables. I assume I need three ethernet (CAT 5 ?) cables one
>for each PC to the router and one from the modem to the router ?

No. You're not doing a reality check. You're wasting bandwidth and
trolling for support.

>Will I have to re-install my NTL connection from scratch as well?
>Sorry for the dumbo questions mate.

No, I don't read minds or know other's motives. I leave that job for
idiots who have nothing better to do than show their asses in public.

>Graham

Another thinly-veiled attempt to feign intelligence.

--
Lady Chatterly

"Oh look, LC has a RL fan boi!" -- Iceman

Look for a NIC with a Realtek chipset. Just my 2¢....

(E-Mail Removed) chiseled in stone, the following words
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com: