Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows keep shutting down

Windows keep shutting down

SgtMinor

Larry wrote:
> Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
> OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
> Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts down
> (not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to download from a
> CD. Anyone have an idea.
> Please Help, Thank You, Larry

Is the CPU fan working? Excess heat will cause the system to shut down.

BTW, check your system's clock/calendar - it's ahead by a couple of days.

Gordon Stenberg

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
> OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
> Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts down
> (not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to download from a
> CD. Anyone have an idea.
> Please Help, Thank You, Larry

Gordon Stenberg

maby is a virus
"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
> OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
> Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts down
> (not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to download from a
> CD. Anyone have an idea.
> Please Help, Thank You, Larry

Ron Martell

Larry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
>OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
>Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts down
>(not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to download from a
>CD. Anyone have an idea.
> Please Help, Thank You, Larry

I agree with SgtMinor - it has all of the symptoms of an overheating
problem.

Make absolutely certain that you have a proper heat sink pad or a thin
layer of good quality heat sink compound between the CPU and the heat
sink, and that the heat sink & cooling fan are securely latched into
place.

Go into the BIOS setup for your motherboard and browse through the
various detail categories to locate the motherboard monitoring
functions. Make certain that these are activate and that alarms are
set for CPU overheat (70 degrees Celsius is the hottest you want to
see the CPU running at if it is an AMD, 65 degrees if it is an Intel
model).

If your CPU is overheating then the prime suspects are:
1. Overclocking. Make sure your CPU is only running at the rated
speed.
2. Improper voltages. Make sure that any motherboard jumpers are set
properly for your specific CPU make and model and/or that the BIOS
configuration for these is set to "auto detect" and is working
properly.
3. Improper installation of fan and heatsink. See the opening
paragraph.
4. Inadequate fan and heatsink. Check the manufacturer's specs for
your cooling fan model and ensure that it is actually intended for
your make and model of CPU. I have seen systems get into similar
problems to yours because the cooling fan was intended for a maximum 2
ghz CPU and it was installed on a 2.8 ghz model.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Voltardo

Larry wrote:

> Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
> OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
> Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts down
> (not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to download from a
> CD. Anyone have an idea.
> Please Help, Thank You, Larry

If my Windows would shut down it wouldn't be a bad thing because then, I
could drag my ass out of this chair and go pursue a little exercise.
BTW, nice job on the PC build. Hope you soon get it working right.

Oxford Systems

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
> OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
> Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts down
> (not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to download from a
> CD. Anyone have an idea.
> Please Help, Thank You, Larry

Brand new, huh? I'd say that *if* you have the heatsink and fan installed
correctly on your processor (thermal pad -- with the tape removed of
course -- , thermal grease or thermal compound and the base of the heatsink
seated properly against the processor), the most likely explanation is that
you have a defective or insufficient power supply. Bad power supplies are
common, especially if they're one of the cheapies. In fact, I think the
power supply is the most likely cause of what you have listed here.

Jonah

Run the latest antivirus check. GO to an online site and run their online
AV check. Sounds viral to me. Try http://housecall.trendmicro.com as an
example.

Larry wrote:

> Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
> OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
> Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts down
> (not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to download from a
> CD. Anyone have an idea.
> Please Help, Thank You, Larry

The Prophecy

Larry wrote:
> Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
> OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
> Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts
> down (not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to
> download from a CD. Anyone have an idea.
> Please Help, Thank You, Larry

There are a couple of possible explanations.

1. You are having a heat problem. Make sure the processor heatsink is seated
properly and ALL case fans are working. Also make sure that your case does
not smell like burning silicon.

2. (If possible) Run a virus scan.

Larry