Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > pc cleaning, vacuum or what!

pc cleaning, vacuum or what!

gary

Hi
i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside with a
vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that gets
rid of it all!, where does it go!
My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear dust etc
from! Does the pc do the same?
Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!

Cheers
Gaz

SgtMinor

gary wrote:
> Hi
> i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside with a
> vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
> Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that gets
> rid of it all!, where does it go!
> My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear dust etc
> from! Does the pc do the same?
> Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
>
> Cheers
> Gaz

Never use a vacumm cleaner. The hose end can get a considerable amount
of static electricity built up on it and it can fry some of the system's
components. Use compressed air, available at every computer store.

Look at the fans, power supply intake slots and the front of the
computer where air enters, for dust bunnies.

Billh

Canned air would be best for blowing out the dust. I would not vacum but
have reversed the flow and use the vac to blow out the case when no canned
air was handy.

Yes pc's accumulate dust internally tons of it depending on how long they
are left on and the amount of dust in the room.

"gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cpqaej$sv2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside with
> vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
> Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that gets
> rid of it all!, where does it go!
> My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear dust
> etc
> from! Does the pc do the same?
> Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
>
> Cheers
> Gaz

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

SgtMinor wrote:

> gary wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside
>> with a
>> vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
>> Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that
>> gets
>> rid of it all!, where does it go!
>> My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear
>> dust etc
>> from! Does the pc do the same?
>> Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Gaz
>>

> Never use a vacumm cleaner. The hose end can get a considerable amount
> of static electricity built up on it and it can fry some of the system's
> components. Use compressed air, available at every computer store.
>
> Look at the fans, power supply intake slots and the front of the
> computer where air enters, for dust bunnies.

I've heard this theory, but before I had heard it I used a small vacuum
on a bunch of computers with no ill effect. Since I hadn't encountered
any problems, I kept on using the vac with a long, thin plastic
attachment I call my anteater. So far not one problem.

Noel Paton

If you need to clean the dust-bunnies out of the inside of a PC (and it's a
good thing to do once a year), then you need to use compressed air.
DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner - they create too much static, and domestic
varieties are too big anyhow.
Go to your local PC Store, and get a canister of compressed air (like an
aerosol of hairspray/fly-killer), and use that - starting with the CPU, and
the PSU, and then working to the more exposed bits.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm

"gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cpqaej$sv2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside with
> vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
> Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that gets
> rid of it all!, where does it go!
> My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear dust
> etc
> from! Does the pc do the same?
> Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
>
> Cheers
> Gaz

SgtMinor

Rgr wrote:
> SgtMinor wrote:
>
>> gary wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside
>>> with a
>>> vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
>>> Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that
>>> gets
>>> rid of it all!, where does it go!
>>> My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear
>>> dust etc
>>> from! Does the pc do the same?
>>> Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Gaz
>>>

>> Never use a vacumm cleaner. The hose end can get a considerable amount
>> of static electricity built up on it and it can fry some of the system's
>> components. Use compressed air, available at every computer store.
>>
>> Look at the fans, power supply intake slots and the front of the
>> computer where air enters, for dust bunnies.

> I've heard this theory, but before I had heard it I used a small vacuum
> on a bunch of computers with no ill effect. Since I hadn't encountered
> any problems, I kept on using the vac with a long, thin plastic
> attachment I call my anteater. So far not one problem.

It's always nice to have an ant-free computer.

gpierre

"Noel Paton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cpqdil$nt9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you need to clean the dust-bunnies out of the inside of a PC (and it's

> good thing to do once a year), then you need to use compressed air.
> DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner - they create too much static, and domestic
> varieties are too big anyhow.
> Go to your local PC Store, and get a canister of compressed air (like an
> aerosol of hairspray/fly-killer), and use that - starting with the CPU,

and
> the PSU, and then working to the more exposed bits.
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Too late I am ground down already; why did you not warn me sooner?

> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm
>
> "gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cpqaej$sv2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside

with
> > vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
> > Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that

gets
> > rid of it all!, where does it go!
> > My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear dust
> > etc
> > from! Does the pc do the same?
> > Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
> >
> > Cheers
> > Gaz

WormWood

"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rgr wrote:
>> SgtMinor wrote:

>>> Never use a vacumm cleaner. The hose end can get a considerable
>>> amount of static electricity built up on it and it can fry some of
>>> the system's components. Use compressed air, available at every
>>> computer store.
>>>
>>> Look at the fans, power supply intake slots and the front of the
>>> computer where air enters, for dust bunnies.

>> I've heard this theory, but before I had heard it I used a small
>> vacuum on a bunch of computers with no ill effect. Since I hadn't
>> encountered any problems, I kept on using the vac with a long, thin
>> plastic attachment I call my anteater. So far not one problem.

> It's always nice to have an ant-free computer.

So it is I once had a jumper - free computer because the "Great
Inept One" used the nozzle on a vacuum cleaner to suck up little
treasures from the box. I had to pick up my lower jaw from the floor.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

WormWood wrote:

> "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

<snip>
>>It's always nice to have an ant-free computer.

> So it is I once had a jumper - free computer because the "Great
> Inept One" used the nozzle on a vacuum cleaner to suck up little
> treasures from the box. I had to pick up my lower jaw from the floor.

I did have a girl bring in a machine that the floppy no longer worked.
She told me that it was working perfectly and then she cleaned it with
compressed air. "Blew the **** out of it" she said. Apparently didn't
know when to let up with the blowjob.

WormWood

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WormWood wrote:
>
>> "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> <snip>
>>>It's always nice to have an ant-free computer.

>> So it is I once had a jumper - free computer because the "Great
>> Inept One" used the nozzle on a vacuum cleaner to suck up little
>> treasures from the box. I had to pick up my lower jaw from the floor.

> I did have a girl bring in a machine that the floppy no longer worked.
> She told me that it was working perfectly and then she cleaned it with
> compressed air. "Blew the **** out of it" she said. Apparently didn't
> know when to let up with the blowjob.

Interesting. Could you send her over to me?

Best vacuum for hard timber floors Graham Saad Computer Support 29 10-04-2005 12:13 PM
vacuum martin Computer Support 5 08-28-2005 03:14 AM
Mini Vacuum SJ Computer Support 4 02-03-2005 06:07 AM
Why doesn't the vacuum of space rip apart the earth? Gregory L. Hansen Digital Photography 2 04-02-2004 05:18 AM
Anyone got a Dyson vacuum cleaner? ]v[etaphoid Computer Support 7 11-27-2003 03:27 PM

Advertisments