Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > understanding netstat

understanding netstat

Messenger

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TPC [::]:135 [::]:0 LISTENING 0

Can / will anyone here explain what the data above signifies?

This is exactly what I'm seeing when I open Netstat in a command window
under XP.

I know what TCP and the ports 135, 0, and LISTENING are but the colons
inside the brackets have me puzzled as well as the last zero after the State
status.

Thanks

Frank.b

Messenger gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Active Connections
>
> Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
> TPC [::]:135 [::]:0 LISTENING 0
>

> Can / will anyone here explain what the data above signifies?
>
> This is exactly what I'm seeing when I open Netstat in a command window
> under XP.
> I know what TCP and the ports 135, 0, and LISTENING are but the colons
> inside the brackets have me puzzled as well as the last zero after the
> State status.

Try some options : NETSTAT/help and it should give plenty of info.
I don't want to sound irritating but are you sure at least one network card
is properly installed and at least one TCP/IP connection works properly ?

NOTE:
(Since XP, Microsoft doesn't implement those old DOS commands, yet it keeps
a sort of DOS-emulator : you do not have a
proper cmd/shell anymore and the arguments may be badly implemented.)

--
Frank.b
ICQ: deux-trois-trois-sept-zéro-huit-quatre-trois-quatre

Lady Chatterly

In article <q%Cvd.8708$(E-Mail Removed)> Messenger
<ruction@extract_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Active Connections
>
>Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
>TPC [::]:135 [::]:0 LISTENING 0

For the slow-witted-ones: If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't,
I'm not addressing you.

>Can / will anyone here explain what the data above signifies?

Wow. You can read minds too?

>This is exactly what I'm seeing when I open Netstat in a command window
>under XP.

I am sure you are seeing when you open netstat in a command window
under xp.

>I know what TCP and the ports 135, 0, and LISTENING are but the colons
>inside the brackets have me puzzled as well as the last zero after the State
>status.

Why do you ask if you know what tcp and the ports 135?

>Thanks

Will have a look at episode, and see?

--
Lady Chatterly

"Lady Chatterly, are you Robert Griffin?" -- Barbara Schwarz

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:44:38 GMT, "Messenger"
<ruction@extract_hotmail.com> wrote:

|> Active Connections
|>
|> Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
|> TPC [::]:135 [::]:0 LISTENING 0
|>

|> Can / will anyone here explain what the data above signifies?

Something I found on Netstat awhile ago:
http://newdata.box.sk/ankit/netstat.htm

Wolfson Wolfson is offline
Junior Member

Hi My computer started acting up recently, im not a pc expert but im not an idiot either and know how to manage it properly, deal with everyday issues and so on. I found a number of viruses on my machine and its my opinion despite having a router its been compromised, I know its possible router or not, i have a fixed DNS name with my ISP which doesnt help. A PC is also like your girlfriend you get to know it intuitively and I have the distinct feeling others are interfering with it.

Just now i reinstalled Vista 64 bit on a clean partitioned drive, I have no software installed, no browsers etc nothing running and had opened no webpages but when I ran Netstat I got some results I did not understand, so in desperation ive come here for help. In my lack of expertise opinion the results signify someone else has access to my PC but if i could have them explained to me that would be great because i dont understand without having any webpage open how i could have a connection to a foreigh host by HTTP, i also found numerous software running on my machine that wa suspicious, for example the remote registry was activated even after i switched it off and other things too.

This may be nothing but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Netstat2.jpg (121.9 KB, 2 views)

netstat.exe foreign address Curley Bur˘h Computer Support 5 12-19-2010 09:13 AM
netstat Jan Faerber HTML 1 01-20-2006 06:32 PM
netstat question tokyosky Firefox 13 12-29-2005 05:41 PM
Netstat command =?Utf-8?B?V2FsbHk=?= Wireless Networking 1 03-25-2005 07:08 PM
netstat velc Computer Support 7 06-30-2004 04:36 AM

Advertisments