Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Faxing without phone modem?

Faxing without phone modem?

rfdjr1@optonline.net

I know there's ways to make phone calls using broadband connections.
Is there a way to fax documents the same way? My system doesn't have a
phone modem. I didn't bother putting one in when I built it since I
use cable. But lately, I've had reason to fax documents, and had to
use another location to do so. This lead me to wonder if there's any
software out there that lets you fax using the cable connection?
appreciate any info. Thanks.

Terje Johan Abrahamsen

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know there's ways to make phone calls using broadband connections.
> Is there a way to fax documents the same way? My system doesn't have a
> phone modem. I didn't bother putting one in when I built it since I
> use cable. But lately, I've had reason to fax documents, and had to
> use another location to do so. This lead me to wonder if there's any
> software out there that lets you fax using the cable connection?
> appreciate any info. Thanks.

There are several possibilities. On my IP phone, I have the possibility to
fax, even thought I do not have a phoneservice. Another possibility is to
use one of the services that lets you do so. You send an email to a certain
emailadress where the phonenumber is in front of the @ and then that service
sends the fax. Use google and you will probably find at least 50 of these.
Or, you can use your cellphone, if you have one. My cellphone connects to my
computer with bluetooth, and lets me send faxes effortless.

Rey@RadioGuy.com

I've been using the free version of efax for years to receive. You
can upgrade to send faxes ... http://www.efax.com

http://RadioGuy.com

Jerry G.

There are internet faxing services, but these can easily end up being
expensive if you need to fax on a regular basis. You will also be subject to
their availability. Also, there is a risk of privacy issues (my own
feeling). You will have to let them hold your credit card number as active,
to be able to use their services. I don't feel secure about these services.

Personally, for my own business affairs, I would not use a public internet
fax service for my faxes. I would do this myself.

I would get a modem, even if it is a USB one, and get a simple faxing
software. Some of these modems come with fax software. If you are using
XP-Pro, it comes with a very good fax software. I believe its fax software
was written by Symantics. It just looks that way.

If you have a serial port on your machine, you can get a simple outboard
serial one as well. If you have a spare slot in your machine, the internal
would be the most practical for space. Personally I like the outboard ones
with the lights on them, so I can see what is going on while I am doing a
fax.

With a scanner, printer, and simple fax modem, your computer can become a
very elaborate fax machine that is better than any of the standard desktop
types you can buy.

If you only need something very simple, you can also consider a low cost fax
machine at home. This would be an independent machine that can be used
without tying up the computer for faxing. I have both the computer set up
for faxing, and also a descent fax machine. I use both of them. The fax
machine also makes a good low cost photo copier.

--

Jerry G.
======

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I know there's ways to make phone calls using broadband connections.
Is there a way to fax documents the same way? My system doesn't have a
phone modem. I didn't bother putting one in when I built it since I
use cable. But lately, I've had reason to fax documents, and had to
use another location to do so. This lead me to wonder if there's any
software out there that lets you fax using the cable connection?
appreciate any info. Thanks.

Melad Marji Sr

the only other way to do that is to print it and use a regular fax mech.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know there's ways to make phone calls using broadband connections.
> Is there a way to fax documents the same way? My system doesn't have a
> phone modem. I didn't bother putting one in when I built it since I
> use cable. But lately, I've had reason to fax documents, and had to
> use another location to do so. This lead me to wonder if there's any
> software out there that lets you fax using the cable connection?
> appreciate any info. Thanks.

Joel Rubin

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:52:40 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I know there's ways to make phone calls using broadband connections.
>Is there a way to fax documents the same way? My system doesn't have a
>phone modem. I didn't bother putting one in when I built it since I
>use cable. But lately, I've had reason to fax documents, and had to
>use another location to do so. This lead me to wonder if there's any
>software out there that lets you fax using the cable connection?
>appreciate any info. Thanks.

It only works to some places and it's not always reliable but there's
tpc.int which is free.

Coffeecoco930

There is a way to use email for faxing letter, etc., if you have DSL or
Cable modem service. First do a search for Faxing Services, depending on
which type of service you have, also do a search for DSL, Cable, or
Broadband faxing, Faxing with DSL or Cable modem. From the result listings,
carefully look for companies that fax using DSL or Cable (some will say
Broadband). Check out each company for comparative pricing. Some have
limits on approximately how many faxes you send a month. That will help you
decided which has the best pricing cost for your business or personal use.
The company I chose was eFax. The website is www.efax.com. Hope this helps.

Coffeecoco930

news:(E-Mail Removed)...