Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > RE: internet slowing down

RE: internet slowing down

Kishan

Can any one help me eliminate pop up messages of good and any suggestions on
how to keep my computer/ internet speed fast.

Many thanks
Kishan

°Mike°

Safe Hex
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Safe Computing Guide
http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/...afe_computing/
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/securit...e/overview.htm

Protect your PC
http://support.microsoft.com/default...gb/protect.asp

Safe Computing Practice
http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/safe2000.htm

Safe Computing Practices (Safe Hex)
http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtsafecompute.htm

Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
have the latest version of removal tools:

Spybot Search & Destroy
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware SE
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Spyware Blaster

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
Now maintained by InterMute
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html
http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:33:24 +0000 (UTC), in
<cpmmik$14p$(E-Mail Removed)>
Kishan scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Kishan

Thankyou, the links are very useful.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Safe Hex
> http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
>
> Safe Computing Guide
> http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/...afe_computing/
> http://www.trendmicro.com/en/securit...e/overview.htm
>
> Protect your PC
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...gb/protect.asp
>
> Safe Computing Practice
> http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/safe2000.htm
>
> Safe Computing Practices (Safe Hex)
> http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtsafecompute.htm
>

> Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
> if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
> Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
> have the latest version of removal tools:
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
> SpyBot S&D guide
> http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
>
> Ad-Aware SE
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
> IMPORTANT NOTICE:
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Attention
>
> Spyware Blaster
>
> CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
> http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
> Now maintained by InterMute
> http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html
> http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe
>

> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:33:24 +0000 (UTC), in
> <cpmmik$14p$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Kishan scrawled:
>
>>Can any one help me eliminate pop up messages of good and any suggestions
>>on
>>how to keep my computer/ internet speed fast.
>>
>>Many thanks
>>Kishan
>>

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

You're welcome.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:00:59 +0000 (UTC), in
<cpnd9b$ceh$(E-Mail Removed)>
Kishan scrawled:

>Thankyou, the links are very useful.

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Safe Hex
>> http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Eli Aran

A program called "NoAds" keeps a record of all the windows (by their names)
you do not want to appear as popups. you just have to add those pop up
windows you do NOT want to appear - to its "blacklist". be warned not to add
browser pages without a name or only named "-" because this will block all
other windows with the exact name (or "no-name")
a program called "Popup Stopper" blocks **ALL** popup windows including
those that you DO want to appeare in some sites unless you click the task
bar icon of the prog "and put it to sleep". you can open the wanted popup
windows that you need by pressing CTRL + the link/button to the new window
without disfunctionning the prog.
both are free but work in a diferent way. you need to decide which of them
is less frustrating to you: updating the blacklist on every new popup or
having to ctrl-click the link to get the window...
my little advice is to avoid visiting websites that are known to flush tons
of popups on you in the first place (such as wares sites, crack sites and
porn sites).
HTH

°Mike°

Why are you replying to (telling) me this, with no quoted
text?

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:36:00 +0200, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Eli Aran scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Eli Aran

i was adding my advice to the conversation. i was not particularly replying
to YOU. kishan who initiated the thread with his question answered me by
private email and i believe he was quite satisfied with my suggestions.
why are you so ofensive and rude?
BTW if you look one thread up you will find the quote to which i was
replying.
FWIW i was snipping the entire conversation to save space and supply a more
esthetic reply of my own input.

"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> ???
??????:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why are you replying to (telling) me this, with no quoted
> text?
>
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:36:00 +0200, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Eli Aran scrawled:
>
> >A program called "NoAds" keeps a record of all the windows (by their

names)
> >you do not want to appear as popups. you just have to add those pop up
> >windows you do NOT want to appear - to its "blacklist". be warned not to

add
> >browser pages without a name or only named "-" because this will block

all
> >other windows with the exact name (or "no-name")
> >a program called "Popup Stopper" blocks **ALL** popup windows including
> >those that you DO want to appeare in some sites unless you click the task
> >bar icon of the prog "and put it to sleep". you can open the wanted popup
> >windows that you need by pressing CTRL + the link/button to the new

window
> >without disfunctionning the prog.
> >both are free but work in a diferent way. you need to decide which of

them
> >is less frustrating to you: updating the blacklist on every new popup or
> >having to ctrl-click the link to get the window...
> >my little advice is to avoid visiting websites that are known to flush

tons
> >of popups on you in the first place (such as wares sites, crack sites and
> >porn sites).
> >HTH
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:32:35 +0200, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Eli Aran scrawled:

>i was adding my advice to the conversation.

No you weren't, you were, in effect, talking to yourself.

>i was not particularly replying to YOU.

You highlighted my message before pressing reply, hence
you were replying to me, as anybody reading the thread
will see.

>kishan who initiated the thread with his question answered
>me by private email and i believe he was quite satisfied with
>my suggestions.

Big deal, and irrelevant.

>why are you so ofensive and rude?

Where was I being "ofensive" (sic) or rude?

>BTW if you look one thread up you will find the quote to which
>i was replying.

No, actually, one thread up is a topic with the title of:
"drwtsn32 has trouble".

>FWIW i was snipping the entire conversation to save space

This is not a good idea. Only relevant (or irrelevant, whichever
way you look at it) parts of a message should be snipped.

>and supply a more esthetic reply of my own input.

Snipping the whole text does not make for a more
aesthetic look, but merely serves to confuse those
who don't have the whole thread, and have absolutely
no idea what you are talking about.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Eli Aran

ok, then, i have a SPECIFIC suggestion for YOU
get a life and stop bugging me!
snip snip

"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> ???
??????:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:32:35 +0200, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Eli Aran scrawled:
>
> >i was adding my advice to the conversation.

> No you weren't, you were, in effect, talking to yourself.
>
> >i was not particularly replying to YOU.

> You highlighted my message before pressing reply, hence
> you were replying to me, as anybody reading the thread
> will see.
>
> >kishan who initiated the thread with his question answered
> >me by private email and i believe he was quite satisfied with
> >my suggestions.

> Big deal, and irrelevant.
>
> >why are you so ofensive and rude?

> Where was I being "ofensive" (sic) or rude?
>
> >BTW if you look one thread up you will find the quote to which
> >i was replying.

> No, actually, one thread up is a topic with the title of:
> "drwtsn32 has trouble".
>
> >FWIW i was snipping the entire conversation to save space

> This is not a good idea. Only relevant (or irrelevant, whichever
> way you look at it) parts of a message should be snipped.
>
> >and supply a more esthetic reply of my own input.

> Snipping the whole text does not make for a more
> aesthetic look, but merely serves to confuse those
> who don't have the whole thread, and have absolutely
> no idea what you are talking about.
>
> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Duck ducking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:09:13 +0200, "Eli Aran"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ok, then, i have a SPECIFIC suggestion for YOU
>get a life and stop bugging me!
>snip snip

Excuse me, don't mean to interfere, but was just curious as was snip
snip a ritual castarating?? or not?