Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HELP!! Dual Boot setup with DOS and XP and seeing other drives

HELP!! Dual Boot setup with DOS and XP and seeing other drives

bogusboy00@hotmail.com

I've Googled this problem and while I see lot's of information on dual
booting overall, I haven't come across this specific one yet (maybe the
wrong keywords?).

I have a laptop that I need to setup to dual boot into DOS and XP with
the ability to see the same FAT16 drive where DOS applications will be
kept.

I can get both OS's to install and work but the problem I'm having is
that DOS only see's the native drive it's loaded on and won't see any
other drive. I recognize DOS has limits with FAT16 and the 2G size. It
doesn't seem to matter if I create a FAT16 drive under 2G and move it
up next to the OS or have it primary or extended. It still won't see
it. I'm wondering if maybe I loaded something out of sequence or if I'm
missing some information on how these OS's can coexist.

I'm using Powerquest Partition Magic and Bootloader as the tools
through this. The system is a PIII-700Mhz, 512MB RAM, 20G drive.

Thanks much for the input.

On a side note, and for a more detailed future post, the DOS app I need
to run uses a hardware key connected to the printer port. In my next
life, I'd like to get this application to run out of XP in DOS mode.
The challenge there appears to be getting the key to be recognized
while running out of XP. Thanks again.

Lady Chatterly

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>I've Googled this problem and while I see lot's of information on dual
>>booting overall, I haven't come across this specific one yet (maybe the
>>wrong keywords?).
>>
>>I have a laptop that I need to setup to dual boot into DOS and XP with
>>the ability to see the same FAT16 drive where DOS applications will be
>>kept.

>I can get both OS's to install and work but the problem I'm having is
>that DOS only see's the native drive it's loaded on and won't see any
>other drive. I recognize DOS has limits with FAT16 and the 2G size. It
>doesn't seem to matter if I create a FAT16 drive under 2G and move it
>up next to the OS or have it primary or extended. It still won't see
>it. I'm wondering if maybe I loaded something out of sequence or if I'm
>missing some information on how these OS's can coexist.

Why are you never asking if you are wondering if maybe you loaded
something out of sequence or if they are missing some information on
how these os's can coexist?

>I'm using Powerquest Partition Magic and Bootloader as the tools
>through this. The system is a PIII-700Mhz, 512MB RAM, 20G drive.

Oh, you are, are you?

--
Lady Chatterly

"This isn't being generated by a human is it?" -- Meat-->Plow

Noel Paton

Your problem is probably that you've installed WinXP as an NTFS system - and
DOS can't recognise it.
AFAIK, there's no way to get DOS to read NTFS, so you'll have to reinstall
XP into a FAT32 partition, inside the first 8GB of the drive (and I think
that it'll have to be less than 8GB itself - but not sure on that).

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I've Googled this problem and while I see lot's of information on dual
> booting overall, I haven't come across this specific one yet (maybe the
> wrong keywords?).
>
> I have a laptop that I need to setup to dual boot into DOS and XP with
> the ability to see the same FAT16 drive where DOS applications will be
> kept.
>
> I can get both OS's to install and work but the problem I'm having is
> that DOS only see's the native drive it's loaded on and won't see any
> other drive. I recognize DOS has limits with FAT16 and the 2G size. It
> doesn't seem to matter if I create a FAT16 drive under 2G and move it
> up next to the OS or have it primary or extended. It still won't see
> it. I'm wondering if maybe I loaded something out of sequence or if I'm
> missing some information on how these OS's can coexist.
>
> I'm using Powerquest Partition Magic and Bootloader as the tools
> through this. The system is a PIII-700Mhz, 512MB RAM, 20G drive.
>
> Thanks much for the input.
>

> On a side note, and for a more detailed future post, the DOS app I need
> to run uses a hardware key connected to the printer port. In my next
> life, I'd like to get this application to run out of XP in DOS mode.
> The challenge there appears to be getting the key to be recognized
> while running out of XP. Thanks again.

Ron Martell

>On a side note, and for a more detailed future post, the DOS app I need
>to run uses a hardware key connected to the printer port. In my next
>life, I'd like to get this application to run out of XP in DOS mode.
>The challenge there appears to be getting the key to be recognized
>while running out of XP. Thanks again.

That is probably going to require updated software for your DOS app.

Most prograoms that use hardware keys (dongles) validate the key by
accessing the printer port directly. Windows XP totally isolates all
applications from the hardware and no direct access is permitted. All
hardware access must be made by using operating system functions.

The supplier of your DOS app and hardware key should be well aware of
the situation with Windows XP (it also existed in Windows 2000 and
NT4) and you should check with them in this regard.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Toolman Tim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

<snipped>

| On a side note, and for a more detailed future post, the DOS app I need
| to run uses a hardware key connected to the printer port. In my next
| life, I'd like to get this application to run out of XP in DOS mode.
| The challenge there appears to be getting the key to be recognized
| while running out of XP. Thanks again.

I use DataCAD at work, and it also uses a key. When we upgraded to Windows
XP, we had to get the new version of DataCAD as well, to get the updated
key. The newest key is on USB, so I don't have to reach behind the freakin'
computer when I need to take the key home at night <g>