Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > plse dont laugh

plse dont laugh

Annette Kurten

My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only used for
e,mailing etc)
today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb still.
any one know what I have messed up this time.
regards

Ingeborg

"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cphj70$326$(E-Mail Removed):

> My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only
> used for e,mailing etc)
> today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
> I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
> restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb
> still. any one know what I have messed up this time.
> regards

Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you /need/
to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have 2 times 64
MB.

Toolman Tim

"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cphj70$326$(E-Mail Removed)...
| My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only used
for
| e,mailing etc)
| today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
| I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
| restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb still.
| any one know what I have messed up this time.
| regards

Did you do your research to find out what *kind* of memory to buy?
www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com both are able to tell you what kind of
RAM your system uses.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:05:20 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only used for
|> e,mailing etc)
|> today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
|> I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
|> restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb still.
|> any one know what I have messed up this time.
|> regards

Really old machines of the 386/486 variety required you to tell them how
much memory they had, this is done in the bios; And if your running 98
on one of those, now that's funny.

Annette Kurten

"Ingeborg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:cphj70$326$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only
> > used for e,mailing etc)
> > today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
> > I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
> > restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb
> > still. any one know what I have messed up this time.
> > regards
> >

> Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you /need/
> to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have 2 times 64
> MB.

Book says upgradeable to 512mb
man in shop says take old one out unless they are the same rating as it will
only recognise the largest

Toolman Tim

"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cphrt6$a3c$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Ingeborg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > "Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
| > news:cphj70$326$(E-Mail Removed):
| >
| > > My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only
| > > used for e,mailing etc)
| > > today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
| > > I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
| > > restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb
| > > still. any one know what I have messed up this time.
| > > regards
| > >

| > Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you
/need/
| > to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have 2 times 64
| > MB.
|
| Book says upgradeable to 512mb
| man in shop says take old one out unless they are the same rating as it
will
| only recognise the largest

Maybe you need to change shops - the guy is obviously smoking something...

anthonyberet

"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cphj70$326$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only used

for
> e,mailing etc)
> today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
> I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
> restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb still.
> any one know what I have messed up this time.

Maybe your mainboard only supports SIMM RAM?
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SIMM.html

If you have put a newer DIMM in there, it might only be physically
connecting half of the available memory.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DIMM.html

Before anyone laughs, note the subject line of the thread, and that I am not
a RAM expert by any means.
I would have expected this kind of mismatch to make the machine fail to
boot, but as some DIMM boards were backwards-compatible with SIMM it seems
possible at least.
Anyway, you should look up your mainboard online and try to find out -
remember it might not say it doesn't support DIMM in the manual if DIMM
wasn't around then!
Either way, you can put different-sized chips in your different RAM ports
and it should recognise them all, not just the biggest.
--
It's Political Correctness gone mad!!
anthonyberet

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cphrt6$a3c$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ingeborg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > "Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:cphj70$326$(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> > > My old win 98 machine was happy plodding along with 64mb ram (only
> > > used for e,mailing etc)
> > > today against reason I decided to pu a 128mb card in.
> > > I popped the old one out and popped the new one in.
> > > restarted and the computer during memory check only goes up to 64mb
> > > still. any one know what I have messed up this time.
> > > regards
> > >

> > Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you

/need/
> > to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have 2 times 64
> > MB.

> Book says upgradeable to 512mb
> man in shop says take old one out unless they are the same rating as it

will
> only recognise the largest

a) Man in shop is using end not under nose to talk with.

b) If the machine is old enough, it won't recognize all the memory
on newer DIMMs, but memory to fit is available.

c) Try both together and see if you now see 128M.

d) Also, in the book - I've seen some that have four DIMM sockets.
1 and 3 were single-sided sockets, 2 and 4 were double-sided sockets. If
you stuck a double-sided DIMM in 1, it only saw half of it. Try the DIMM
one socket over and see if that helps. If that's it, then the old one won't
work in socket 1 either, since Socket 2 maps over Socket 1 with double-sided
DIMMs ...

Before anyone says "That's crazy!" it was an 815 based MSI board -
I want to say the MS-6337, but might be wrong.

RwP

Annette Kurten

news:g__ud.1319$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cphrt6$a3c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> |
> | "Ingeborg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | > "Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> | > news:cphj70$326$(E-Mail Removed):

> | > Maybe your (old) motherboard doesn't support 128 MB sticks. Do you
> /need/
> | > to pull out the old stick? When you can leave it, you'll have 2 times

64
> | > MB.
> |
> | Book says upgradeable to 512mb
> | man in shop says take old one out unless they are the same rating as it
> will
> | only recognise the largest
> |
> Maybe you need to change shops - the guy is obviously smoking something...

Maybe not,Tim just took top off again, put original 64 card in old slot, and
put 128 in a spare slot.
restarted and bingo got 128mb ram , so he might be right, as it only
recognised the larger card

Jim Berwick

"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cpi4jr$6it$1
@titan.btinternet.com:

> restarted and bingo got 128mb ram , so he might be right, as it only
> recognised the larger card

Um, no, it is recognizing the 128 meg stick as 64. 64 + 64 = 128. The
problem is likely that the 128 meg stick is a higher density than your
board can handle, and thus it is seeing only 1/2 of its capacity.