Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Google Suggest Beta

Google Suggest Beta

Toolman Tim

"Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:ZNrud.7386$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > And what's spooky about that? It's a statistical lookup - they've
| collected
| > enough data about search habits of users to be able to look up what are
| the
| > most likely queries.
|
| Yes, I do sort of appreciate how it must be done and I realize that no
| actual clairvoyance is involved. I don't even think it's useful for
| anything beyond saving a couple of keystrokes for common searches, but I
| still thought it was a cool innovation. That said, it took 5 letters for
| it to guess/anticipate my search for "toolman."

yeah - I'm not quite the persona that Howard is <g>

Yddap

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
anthonyberet <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very noisily:
> "Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Google is now offering a version of their search engine which
>> attempts to guess what you are searching for before you've even
>> finished entering your search words, named "Google Suggest:"
>>
>> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
>>
>> The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
>> Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
>> "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed
>> as far as the letter "W."
>>

> That's funny - I searched for 'por' and it didnt come up with the
> obvious. Methinks there is a human mind at work here.....

verily there is a human behind it --
try "se", "HO" "po" even "xx" or " cu" or Va "
Defiantly censored

--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

WormWood

"anthonyberet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Google is now offering a version of their search engine which
>> attempts to
>> guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering
>> your
>> search words, named "Google Suggest:"
>>
>> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
>>
>> The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
>> Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
>> "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed
>> as
>> far as the letter "W."
>>

> That's funny - I searched for 'por' and it didnt come up with the
> obvious.

Pork?

> Methinks there is a human mind at work here.....

Jim Byrd

I didn't investigate it, but that might also be the effect of whatever
Google preferences you've got set, if any. IIRC, there's at least one about
filtering such stuff.

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:g6tud.34736$(E-Mail Removed) .uk,
Yddap <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> anthonyberet <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very noisily:
>> "Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Google is now offering a version of their search engine which
>>> attempts to guess what you are searching for before you've even
>>> finished entering your search words, named "Google Suggest:"
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
>>>
>>> The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
>>> Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters,
>>> putting "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after
>>> I'd typed as far as the letter "W."
>>>

>> That's funny - I searched for 'por' and it didnt come up with the
>> obvious. Methinks there is a human mind at work here.....

> verily there is a human behind it --
> try "se", "HO" "po" even "xx" or " cu" or Va "
> Defiantly censored

Jock Strap

Ionizer wrote:

> Google is now offering a version of their search engine which
> attempts to guess what you are searching for before you've even
> finished entering your search words, named "Google Suggest:"
>
> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
>
> The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
> Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
> "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed
> as far as the letter "W."
>
> Spooky.

Damn, it doesn't give any suggestions for "sex" or "naked" etc.