Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Google Suggest Beta

Google Suggest Beta

Ionizer

Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts to
guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering your
search words, named "Google Suggest:"

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en

The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
"Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed as
far as the letter "W."

Spooky.

--
Ian.
(Acknowledgements to "kayodeok," whose post in another group alerted me to

Toolman Tim

"Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts to
| guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering your
| search words, named "Google Suggest:"
|
| http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
|
| The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
| Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
| "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed as
| far as the letter "W."
|
| Spooky.

And what's spooky about that? It's a statistical lookup - they've collected
enough data about search habits of users to be able to look up what are the
most likely queries.

Old Gringo

Ionizer wrote:
> Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts to
> guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering your
> search words, named "Google Suggest:"
>
> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
>
> The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
> Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
> "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed as
> far as the letter "W."
>
> Spooky.

That is cool, kind of like address complete in IE

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere

Old Gringo

Toolman Tim wrote:
> "Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts to
> | guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering your
> | search words, named "Google Suggest:"
> |
> | http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
> |
> | The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
> | Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
> | "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed as
> | far as the letter "W."
> |
> | Spooky.
> |
> And what's spooky about that? It's a statistical lookup - they've collected
> enough data about search habits of users to be able to look up what are the
> most likely queries.

White Bread took a few more characters.

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

anthonyberet

"Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts to
> guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering your
> search words, named "Google Suggest:"
>
> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
>
> The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
> Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
> "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed as
> far as the letter "W."

That's funny - I searched for 'por' and it didnt come up with the obvious.
Methinks there is a human mind at work here.....

Toolman Tim

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6Zrud.38842$(E-Mail Removed). com...
| Toolman Tim wrote:
| > "Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts
| > | guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering
your
| > | search words, named "Google Suggest:"
| > |
| > | http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
| > |
| > | The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
| > | Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
| > | "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed
as
| > | far as the letter "W."
| > |
| > | Spooky.
| > |
| > And what's spooky about that? It's a statistical lookup - they've
collected
| > enough data about search habits of users to be able to look up what are
the
| > most likely queries.
| >

| White Bread took a few more characters.

Yeah - I'd imagine <g>! The more "obscure" the search, the longer it will
take for a valid suggestion. As I've played with it more, it seems less
"statistical" and more lexigraphical (I believe that's the correct term....)

Old Gringo

Toolman Tim wrote:
> "Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Google is now offering a version of their search engine which attempts to
> | guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering your
> | search words, named "Google Suggest:"
> |
> | http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
> |
> | The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
> | Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
> | "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed as
> | far as the letter "W."
> |
> | Spooky.
> |
> And what's spooky about that? It's a statistical lookup - they've collected
> enough data about search habits of users to be able to look up what are the
> most likely queries.

went back for a second try, don't like it. Easier to just type in
what you want.

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

WormWood

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WWrud.38840$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Ionizer wrote:
>> Google is now offering a version of their search engine which
>> attempts to
>> guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering
>> your
>> search words, named "Google Suggest:"
>>
>> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
>>
>> The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
>> Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
>> "Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed
>> as
>> far as the letter "W."
>>
>> Spooky.
>>

> That is cool, kind of like address complete in IE

Similar, except they don't or shouldn't have a data base supplied by
you. If they did, it would be taking Big Brother a step too far.

Ionizer

news:ZNrud.7386$(E-Mail Removed)...
> And what's spooky about that? It's a statistical lookup - they've

collected
> enough data about search habits of users to be able to look up what are

the
> most likely queries.

Yes, I do sort of appreciate how it must be done and I realize that no
actual clairvoyance is involved. I don't even think it's useful for
anything beyond saving a couple of keystrokes for common searches, but I
still thought it was a cool innovation. That said, it took 5 letters for
it to guess/anticipate my search for "toolman."

Regards,
Ian.

Old Gringo

WormWood wrote:
> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WWrud.38840$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>>Ionizer wrote:
>>
>>>Google is now offering a version of their search engine which
>>>attempts to
>>>guess what you are searching for before you've even finished entering
>>>your
>>>search words, named "Google Suggest:"
>>>
>>>http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
>>>
>>>The third time I tried using it, I decided to do a search for Howard
>>>Stern. "Google Suggest" guessed my search in only 3 letters, putting
>>>"Howard Stern" search results at the top of the list after I'd typed
>>>as
>>>far as the letter "W."
>>>
>>>Spooky.
>>>

>>That is cool, kind of like address complete in IE
>>

> Similar, except they don't or shouldn't have a data base supplied by
> you. If they did, it would be taking Big Brother a step too far.

Thats for sure