Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Removing Ads in Internet Explorer

Removing Ads in Internet Explorer

darkrats

I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad free.
It's shareware with a 30 day limit.

According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
registration over the net, but does not send additional information to any
server. They claim that any server access requests take place internally on
the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all. During use, there
are constant data exchanges with the server at 61.62.193.156, sometimes as
often as 5 times a minute. I would have to say that this program is
definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.

Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip ads
from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages. So far,
haven't found one.

zaax

In article <4vkud.477031$%k.418042@pd7tw2no>, darkrats
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
>webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad free.
>It's shareware with a 30 day limit.
>
>According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
>registration over the net, but does not send additional information to any
>server. They claim that any server access requests take place internally on
>the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all. During use, there
>are constant data exchanges with the server at 61.62.193.156, sometimes as
>often as 5 times a minute. I would have to say that this program is
>definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.
>
>Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip ads
>from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages. So far,
>haven't found one.

Advant Browser

--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com

Richard

darkrats wrote:

> I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
> webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad
> free. It's shareware with a 30 day limit.

> According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
> registration over the net, but does not send additional information to
> any server. They claim that any server access requests take place
> internally on the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all.
> During use, there are constant data exchanges with the server at
> 61.62.193.156, sometimes as often as 5 times a minute. I would have to
> say that this program is definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.

> Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip
> ads from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages.
> So far, haven't found one.

Get the "crazy browser" plug in. It's free.

http://www.crazybrowser.com/index.htm

99.9% popup free.

CoCo

darkrats wrote:
> I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
> webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad free.
> It's shareware with a 30 day limit.
>
> According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
> registration over the net, but does not send additional information to any
> server. They claim that any server access requests take place internally on
> the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all. During use, there
> are constant data exchanges with the server at 61.62.193.156, sometimes as
> often as 5 times a minute. I would have to say that this program is
> definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.
>
> Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip ads
> from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages. So far,
> haven't found one.

hi

adextenguisher service for windows (freeware)
http://www.bhatt.id.au/adext/

works great with any browser and removes "anything"...

coco

darkrats

Thanks for suggestions
..

I'm not looking for a replacement browser, or a popup stopper; but one that
removes ads from webpages completely.

Adextinguisher comes close, but replaces ads with transparent spaces.
Admuncher removes the ads and resizes the webpage to remove the spaces.

"CoCo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t%lud.3222$(E-Mail Removed)...
> darkrats wrote:
> > I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
> > webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad

free.
> > It's shareware with a 30 day limit.
> >
> > According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
> > registration over the net, but does not send additional information to

any
> > server. They claim that any server access requests take place internally

on
> > the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all. During use,

there
> > are constant data exchanges with the server at 61.62.193.156, sometimes

as
> > often as 5 times a minute. I would have to say that this program is
> > definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip

> > from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages. So

far,
> > haven't found one.
> >

> hi
>
> adextenguisher service for windows (freeware)
> http://www.bhatt.id.au/adext/
>
> works great with any browser and removes "anything"...
>
> coco

Fuzzy Logic

zaax <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <4vkud.477031$%k.418042@pd7tw2no>, darkrats
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
>>webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad
>>free. It's shareware with a 30 day limit.
>>
>>According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
>>registration over the net, but does not send additional information to
>>any server. They claim that any server access requests take place
>>internally on the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all.
>>During use, there are constant data exchanges with the server at
>>61.62.193.156, sometimes as often as 5 times a minute. I would have to
>>say that this program is definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.
>>
>>Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip
>>ads from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages.
>>So far, haven't found one.
>>

> Advant Browser

I think you mean Avant Browser. This is what I use and it's IE on steroids.
Includes ad blocker, flash blocker, pop-up blocker, tabbed browsing and
more:

<www.avantbrowser.com>

Jock Strap

darkrats wrote:

> Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can
> strip ads from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on
> Hotmail pages. So far, haven't found one.

Use Firefox as your browser with the AdBlock extension. Both are
100% free and both can be found with Google. And they both work
with Hotmail.

Toolman Tim

"darkrats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
| webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad free.
| It's shareware with a 30 day limit.
|
| According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
| registration over the net, but does not send additional information to any
| server. They claim that any server access requests take place internally
on
| the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all. During use,
there
| are constant data exchanges with the server at 61.62.193.156, sometimes as
| often as 5 times a minute. I would have to say that this program is
| definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.
|
| Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip
| from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages. So
far,
| haven't found one.

This will help, it's totally free, uses absolutely no system resoureces, and
is excellent protection for your computer, although it won't get rid of all

http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
Be sure to sign up for the update notices - this guy is honest and doesn't
send out any spam.

darkrats

Thanks again for the suggestion.
This one removes the ads in hotmail but the blank sections now have "page
cannot be displayed etc.".

news:0brud.7370$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "darkrats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> |I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
> | webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad
> free.
> | It's shareware with a 30 day limit.
> |
> | According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
> | registration over the net, but does not send additional information to
> any
> | server. They claim that any server access requests take place internally
> on
> | the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all. During use,
> there
> | are constant data exchanges with the server at 61.62.193.156, sometimes
> as
> | often as 5 times a minute. I would have to say that this program is
> | definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.
> |
> | Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip
> | from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages. So
> far,
> | haven't found one.
> |
> This will help, it's totally free, uses absolutely no system resoureces,
> and
> is excellent protection for your computer, although it won't get rid of
> all
>
> http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
> Be sure to sign up for the update notices - this guy is honest and doesn't
> send out any spam.

Toolman Tim

Yeah - because there's nothing to display there. Those ads were links to
HTML content provided by the advertising company's website. So when the
website is called, it's redirected to your local PC (which obviously doesn't
have the ad it's looking for). If you want to un-install it, you can remove
the hosts file entries (all except 127.0.0.1 localhost) and things will go
back to the way they were.

"darkrats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsWuud.476995$nl.153788@pd7tw3no...
| Thanks again for the suggestion.
| This one removes the ads in hotmail but the blank sections now have "page
| cannot be displayed etc.".
|

| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:0brud.7370$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| > "darkrats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > |I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
| > | webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad
| > free.
| > | It's shareware with a 30 day limit.
| > |
| > | According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
| > | registration over the net, but does not send additional information to
| > any
| > | server. They claim that any server access requests take place
internally
| > on
| > | the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all. During use,
| > there
| > | are constant data exchanges with the server at 61.62.193.156,
sometimes
| > as
| > | often as 5 times a minute. I would have to say that this program is
| > | definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.
| > |
| > | Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can
strip
| > | from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages.
So
| > far,
| > | haven't found one.
| > |
| > This will help, it's totally free, uses absolutely no system resoureces,
| > and
| > is excellent protection for your computer, although it won't get rid of
| > all
| >
| > http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
| > Be sure to sign up for the update notices - this guy is honest and
doesn't
| > send out any spam.

internet explorer pop-up ads edwin mauger Computer Support 5 02-23-2005 09:53 PM
removing ads Damir G Computer Support 1 11-17-2003 11:54 AM
Removing ads from msn messenger 5 or 6 Martin Computer Support 2 07-15-2003 01:24 AM

Advertisments