Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > These *^&*%&*(&% numbered LISTS!!

These *^&*%&*(&% numbered LISTS!!

Mara

Hello, all!

I am using Word 97 on Windows XP. I have a problem that's becoming
such an annoyance I'm ready to kill my computer. I very frequently
work with large files that have multi-level numbering. In every
section (there are four), the numbering starts over again. However,
EVERY SINGLE TIME I open this file (even though the numbering was FINE
when I last worked on it/saved it) the numbers have renumbered
themselves to continue numbering from the previous section. EVERY TIME
I open this file, I have to go through it and re-do the numbering in
every section. Needless to say, this is rather time-consuming and
it's time I simply don't have to spend. Obviously, I am either missing
something, or there's a bug, and I'm inclined to think it's the former.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks very much for all your help!

Mara

PS: The Microsoft Knowledge base addresses this problem, but only when
the file is being saved or viewed as a web page, and that is not the
case here.

SgtMinor

Mara wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> I am using Word 97 on Windows XP. I have a problem that's becoming
> such an annoyance I'm ready to kill my computer. I very frequently
> work with large files that have multi-level numbering. In every
> section (there are four), the numbering starts over again. However,
> EVERY SINGLE TIME I open this file (even though the numbering was FINE
> when I last worked on it/saved it) the numbers have renumbered
> themselves to continue numbering from the previous section. EVERY TIME
> I open this file, I have to go through it and re-do the numbering in
> every section. Needless to say, this is rather time-consuming and
> it's time I simply don't have to spend. Obviously, I am either missing
> something, or there's a bug, and I'm inclined to think it's the former.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
>
> Thanks very much for all your help!
>
> Mara
>
> PS: The Microsoft Knowledge base addresses this problem, but only when
> the file is being saved or viewed as a web page, and that is not the
> case here.

Are you using "section breaks" to separate the various sections? ( >
Insert > Break - in Word2000, at least)

Chris O

"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello, all!
>
> I am using Word 97 on Windows XP. I have a problem that's becoming
> such an annoyance I'm ready to kill my computer. I very frequently
> work with large files that have multi-level numbering. In every
> section (there are four), the numbering starts over again. However,
> EVERY SINGLE TIME I open this file (even though the numbering was FINE
> when I last worked on it/saved it) the numbers have renumbered
> themselves to continue numbering from the previous section. EVERY TIME
> I open this file, I have to go through it and re-do the numbering in
> every section. Needless to say, this is rather time-consuming and
> it's time I simply don't have to spend. Obviously, I am either missing
> something, or there's a bug, and I'm inclined to think it's the former.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
>
> Thanks very much for all your help!
>
> Mara
>
> PS: The Microsoft Knowledge base addresses this problem, but only when
> the file is being saved or viewed as a web page, and that is not the
> case here.

Don't know but you could try posting to the "microsoft.public.word.general"
newsgroup

Chris O.

George

Might be one of those 'apply to whole document' check boxes. Is it possible
to save the sections separately?

"Chris O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cpcjlh$ki4$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Hello, all!
> >
> > I am using Word 97 on Windows XP. I have a problem that's becoming
> > such an annoyance I'm ready to kill my computer. I very frequently
> > work with large files that have multi-level numbering. In every
> > section (there are four), the numbering starts over again. However,
> > EVERY SINGLE TIME I open this file (even though the numbering was FINE
> > when I last worked on it/saved it) the numbers have renumbered
> > themselves to continue numbering from the previous section. EVERY TIME
> > I open this file, I have to go through it and re-do the numbering in
> > every section. Needless to say, this is rather time-consuming and
> > it's time I simply don't have to spend. Obviously, I am either missing
> > something, or there's a bug, and I'm inclined to think it's the former.
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
> >
> > Thanks very much for all your help!
> >
> > Mara
> >
> > PS: The Microsoft Knowledge base addresses this problem, but only when
> > the file is being saved or viewed as a web page, and that is not the
> > case here.
> >

> Don't know but you could try posting to the

"microsoft.public.word.general"
> newsgroup
>
> Chris O.

Noel Paton

I recently had similar problems (in Word 2K) -and found that the cause was
my own fault

The cause (at least in my case) is using the backspace to exit the
formatting.

The cure is to remove ALL formatting, then insert the new formats as
required - time-consuming, but effective.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello, all!
>
> I am using Word 97 on Windows XP. I have a problem that's becoming
> such an annoyance I'm ready to kill my computer. I very frequently
> work with large files that have multi-level numbering. In every
> section (there are four), the numbering starts over again. However,
> EVERY SINGLE TIME I open this file (even though the numbering was FINE
> when I last worked on it/saved it) the numbers have renumbered
> themselves to continue numbering from the previous section. EVERY TIME
> I open this file, I have to go through it and re-do the numbering in
> every section. Needless to say, this is rather time-consuming and
> it's time I simply don't have to spend. Obviously, I am either missing
> something, or there's a bug, and I'm inclined to think it's the former.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
>
> Thanks very much for all your help!
>
> Mara
>
> PS: The Microsoft Knowledge base addresses this problem, but only when
> the file is being saved or viewed as a web page, and that is not the
> case here.

Mara

Thank goodness I didn't have to resort to that!

I managed to solved my own problem (again... I really should give
myself more time to figure **** out). I simply took the sub-documents
and converted them into the master doc, and all the glitches went away.
Can I explain it? Not really. But it worked.

Mara

Noel Paton

WTG! - well done!