Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New domain name registration.

New domain name registration.

Yonki

Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it, or
should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than giving a
503 failure? Thanks.

Mike Easter

Yonki wrote:
> Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it,
> or should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than
> giving a 503 failure?

Hours to days depending on what 'registered' means at the registrar.
What did the registrar say?

You can go watch some dynamics of the propagation with tools at
someplace like dnsstuff. The nameserver/s have to be operational and
configured correctly. If things aren't 'going well' the information
accessible at dnsreport can help you 'motivate' the registrar.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/ => http://www.dnsreport.com/

--
Mike Easter

Richard

Yonki wrote:

> Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it, or
> should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than giving a
> 503 failure? Thanks.

Anywhere from a few hours to a week depending on the service.

Yonki

news:UP3ud.6237$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> Yonki wrote:
> > Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it,
> > or should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than
> > giving a 503 failure?

> Hours to days depending on what 'registered' means at the registrar.
> What did the registrar say?
>
> You can go watch some dynamics of the propagation with tools at
> someplace like dnsstuff. The nameserver/s have to be operational and
> configured correctly. If things aren't 'going well' the information
> accessible at dnsreport can help you 'motivate' the registrar.
>
> http://www.dnsstuff.com/ => http://www.dnsreport.com/

Thank you very much for all this information. Admittedly, I don't
understand it all. Do you have any idea where I could find a simple, yet
detailed, explanation of DNS issues including things like SOA, MX, CNAME,
etc.

Thanks, again.

Dodo

A 503 status code is returned from a web server, so the domain must be
resolving to a web server.

Lady Chatterly

In article <UP3ud.6237%(E-Mail Removed) t> Mike
Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yonki wrote:
>> Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it,
>> or should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than
>> giving a 503 failure?

>Hours to days depending on what 'registered' means at the registrar.
>What did the registrar say?

Do you wonder if the registrar say?

>You can go watch some dynamics of the propagation with tools at
>someplace like dnsstuff. The nameserver/s have to be operational and
>configured correctly. If things aren't 'going well' the information
>accessible at dnsreport can help you 'motivate' the registrar.

Yeah? And I have some really nice property for sale on the dark side
of the moon. Really cheap. Idiota.

--
Lady Chatterly

"Answering the bot, Kurt?" -- Paulo Gomes Jardim

Mike Easter

Yonki wrote:
> Thank you very much for all this information. Admittedly, I don't
> understand it all. Do you have any idea where I could find a simple,
> yet detailed, explanation of DNS issues including things like SOA,
> MX, CNAME, etc.

One non-google strategy for those issues would be to use the links
accessible at webopedia.

front page http://www.webopedia.com/ input DNS =>
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DNS.html -- read the stuff at the top,
then start clicking on the links underneath - their choice of 'great
page' wouldn't necessarily be my fave of the ones they list. Also
notice that little column on the right, related terms. Then, some of
those links have good links, such as the dns resources directory.

There is a huge amount of information available to make an education of
DNS related stuff. Plan on spending some time with it, it is very
important.

--
Mike Easter

why?

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:07:17 -0000, Yonki wrote:

>"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:UP3ud.6237$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
>> Yonki wrote:
>> > Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it,
>> > or should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than
>> > giving a 503 failure?

>> Hours to days depending on what 'registered' means at the registrar.
>> What did the registrar say?
>>
>> You can go watch some dynamics of the propagation with tools at
>> someplace like dnsstuff. The nameserver/s have to be operational and
>> configured correctly. If things aren't 'going well' the information
>> accessible at dnsreport can help you 'motivate' the registrar.
>>
>> http://www.dnsstuff.com/ => http://www.dnsreport.com/

>Thank you very much for all this information. Admittedly, I don't
>understand it all. Do you have any idea where I could find a simple, yet
>detailed, explanation of DNS issues including things like SOA, MX, CNAME,
>etc.

That's a bit deep DNS stuff, if all you are doing using hosting service.
They would usually set some stuff up for free / extras at additional
cost and/or provide you with a DIY control panel.

If you really want to get stuck into SOA,MX and CNAME etc.

This excellent book and it's companion cookbook of examples,

DNS and BIND
Publisher - O'Reilly
Author - Paul Albitz & Cricket Liu
4th Edition ISBN 0-596-00158-4

See the publisher site
www.oreilly.com

Also BIND itself and documentation
http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/

not forgetting www.google.com

A quick search for - 'dns basics' gives,

ZoneEdit.Com : Simplified example of how DNS works (ZoneEdit.com)
ZoneEdit.Com : Simplified example of how DNS works. ... NOTE: The
'whois' information is never used for DNS, and is often misleading and
inaccurate.
www.zoneedit.com/doc/dns-basics.html - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

IIS Answers - DNS Basics for IIS Administrators
.... administrators. Privacy Statement. IISAnswers Articles. DNS Basics
for IIS Administrators - by Rich Hintz http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). One ...
www.iisanswers.com/articles/dns_for_iis.htm - 37k - Cached - Similar
pages

DNS basics
Certification Galore DNS Basics. ... DNS Basics. by Ty Belknap. Click
here to visit our sponsor. Background. Internet addresses are somewhat
like postal addresses. ...
www.windowsgalore.com/cert/dns_basics.htm - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

DNS basics
DNS basics. Domain Name System (DNS) is a database system that
translates a computer's fully qualified domain name (eg,
lear.ucs.indiana ...
http://kb.indiana.edu/data/adns.ose.help - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

Me

Yonki

"Dodo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A 503 status code is returned from a web server, so the domain must be
> resolving to a web server.

The registrar says "24-48 hours after the most recent DNS update/change."

The thing is that typing the domain name resolves to a page, that just shows
an advert - set-up by the registrar. Would that indicate the name has been
registered by DNS?

Dodo

Yes.

The domain would be considered to be parked with the registrar.