Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Clicking On Desktop Icons Doesn't Work ! Thoughts On, Please ?

Clicking On Desktop Icons Doesn't Work ! Thoughts On, Please ?

Robert11

Hi,

It's happened again during normal usage this time, and am now geting quite
concerned as it's a brand new PC.
Everything else "seems" to be just fine, though. Not using any games.
Running XP.

Posted this before, but would be most grateful for any additional thoughts
on this, please:

I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
do nothing. Wouldn't open.

Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting OPEN, wouldn't work either.

Re-booted, and all fine now.

What might have caused ?
Thoughts on.

Bob

Old Gringo

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's happened again during normal usage this time, and am now geting quite
> concerned as it's a brand new PC.
> Everything else "seems" to be just fine, though. Not using any games.
> Running XP.
>
> Posted this before, but would be most grateful for any additional thoughts
> on this, please:
>
> I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
> back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
> do nothing. Wouldn't open.
>
> Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting OPEN, wouldn't work either.
>
> Re-booted, and all fine now.
>
> What might have caused ?
> Thoughts on.
>
> Bob

Get better accounted with your computer and operating system. The
answer is right there.

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere

Cubzilla

did someone have access to your PC, I have seen it where a screen shot of
the desktop is used as the wallpaper, all other icons are moved. rebooting
restores all

just might be

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> It's happened again during normal usage this time, and am now geting quite
> concerned as it's a brand new PC.
> Everything else "seems" to be just fine, though. Not using any games.
> Running XP.
>
> Posted this before, but would be most grateful for any additional thoughts
> on this, please:
>
> I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
> back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
> do nothing. Wouldn't open.
>
> Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting OPEN, wouldn't work

either.

> Re-booted, and all fine now.
>
> What might have caused ?
> Thoughts on.
>
> Bob

Robert11

Hi,

Gosh !

I'm getting on in years now, and am trying this high tech stuff out.

If you have any real ideas on this, would sure appreciate the help.

Actually, pretty proud that I can get any of it to work.

Sure don't understand your answer.

Bob
----------------

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:A8Ktd.41966$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Robert11 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It's happened again during normal usage this time, and am now geting
>> quite concerned as it's a brand new PC.
>> Everything else "seems" to be just fine, though. Not using any games.
>> Running XP.
>>
>> Posted this before, but would be most grateful for any additional
>> thoughts on this, please:
>>
>> I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
>> back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons
>> would
>> do nothing. Wouldn't open.
>>
>> Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting OPEN, wouldn't work
>> either.
>>
>> Re-booted, and all fine now.
>>
>> What might have caused ?
>> Thoughts on.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Get better accounted with your computer and operating system. The answer
> is right there.
>
> --
> Old Gringo George
> Just West Of Nowhere
> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
> Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-industries.com/>

Jerry G.

What operating system are you using? Windows 95 (obsolete), 98, and ME can
do this type of hangup. It has to do with the desktop management routine
hanging up, due mostly to some of the memory handling problems that these
operating systems have. In NT4 (obsolete), 2000, and any of the XP releases,
this type of problem is less apt to happen.

There is a lot of activity going on in the background of the computer while
it is either sitting idle, or doing some job tasks. In the older operating
systems, there were also some problems with the screen savers, and power
management applications, that can sometimes cause the fault you were
describing. This fault that you saw is only one of the many.

--

Jerry G.
======

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gosh !

Hi Robert; Windows XP is quite a sophisticated OS and has it's share
of flaws. There are a couple of versions of it. Also there are
updates that have solved some of the problems. Becoming familiar
with the OS will help solve some of your problems. Make sure it is
up to date with the latest downloads from Ms. It is good to become
familiar with all of the settings and what they do. If my post
sounded rude, that was not my intent. Good Luck to you.

--
Old Gringo George
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Toolman Tim

Heh heh heh...love it <g>...my other "favorite" trick is to create a
shut-down script and call it on startup...start, stop, start, stop, ad
infinitum <g>

"Cubzilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41b77600$0$19159$(E-Mail Removed)...
| did someone have access to your PC, I have seen it where a screen shot of
| the desktop is used as the wallpaper, all other icons are moved. rebooting
| restores all
|

| just might be
|

| "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Hi,
| >
| > It's happened again during normal usage this time, and am now geting
quite
| > concerned as it's a brand new PC.
| > Everything else "seems" to be just fine, though. Not using any games.
| > Running XP.
| >
| > Posted this before, but would be most grateful for any additional
thoughts
| > on this, please:
| >
| > I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
| > back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons
would
| > do nothing. Wouldn't open.
| >
| > Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting OPEN, wouldn't work
| either.
| >
| > Re-booted, and all fine now.
| >
| > What might have caused ?
| > Thoughts on.
| >
| > Bob

Toolman Tim

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi,
|
| It's happened again during normal usage this time, and am now geting quite
| concerned as it's a brand new PC.
| Everything else "seems" to be just fine, though. Not using any games.
| Running XP.
|
| Posted this before, but would be most grateful for any additional thoughts
| on this, please:
|
| I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
| back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
| do nothing. Wouldn't open.
|
| Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting OPEN, wouldn't work
either.

| Re-booted, and all fine now.
|
| What might have caused ?
| Thoughts on.

Did the computer go into "standby"? If so, it may be taking a few moments to
fully recover after waking it up. How long did you try before rebooting?

WormWood

news:ejPtd.3685$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Heh heh heh...love it <g>...my other "favorite" trick is to create a
> shut-down script and call it on startup...start, stop, start, stop, ad
> infinitum <g>

That's an atrocity.......

> "Cubzilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41b77600$0$19159$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | did someone have access to your PC, I have seen it where a screen
> shot of
> | the desktop is used as the wallpaper, all other icons are moved.
> rebooting
> | restores all
> |

> | just might be

<snip>

dadiOH

WormWood wrote:
> news:ejPtd.3685$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Heh heh heh...love it <g>...my other "favorite" trick is to create a
>> shut-down script and call it on startup...start, stop, start, stop,
>> ad infinitum <g>
>>

> That's an atrocity.......

....which should be visited upon my father-in-law. The screen shot wall
paper would be good too

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...