Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can I use wireless router even if not needed?

Can I use wireless router even if not needed?

me@privacy.net

I currently do NOT have any computer equip capable of
receiving a wireless router signal. Don't have a
wireless laptop or anything like that

Can I still go ahead an buy a wireless router and use
it for my WIRED equip and NOT use the wireless features
but have it there in case I do need it in the future?

Bottom line.... would you never again buy a WIRED only
router period?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> I currently do NOT have any computer equip capable of
> receiving a wireless router signal. Don't have a
> wireless laptop or anything like that
>
> Can I still go ahead an buy a wireless router and use
> it for my WIRED equip and NOT use the wireless features
> but have it there in case I do need it in the future?
>
> Bottom line.... would you never again buy a WIRED only
> router period?

Don't be ridiculous. Do you honestly think that every router in the
world should be replaced by some cheap-ass consumer level wireless piece
of crap? But to answer your other question, if the wireless router
you're looking at has wired ports, then yes, go ahead and use it for
your wired devices. It would be better to disable the wireless functions
if they're not being used.

The Old Sourdough

On 08 Dec 2004, scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I currently do NOT have any computer equip capable of
> receiving a wireless router signal. Don't have a
> wireless laptop or anything like that
>
> Can I still go ahead an buy a wireless router and use
> it for my WIRED equip and NOT use the wireless features
> but have it there in case I do need it in the future?
>
> Bottom line.... would you never again buy a WIRED only
> router period?

1. Sure, use the wired ports for now, and add wireless adapters to your
equipment (or add new equipment) as needed later on.

2. Depends on what I'd need a router for.

--
The Old Sourdough
BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life

Use.Netuser.de

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
> I currently do NOT have any computer equip capable of
> receiving a wireless router signal. Don't have a
> wireless laptop or anything like that
>
> Can I still go ahead an buy a wireless router and use
> it for my WIRED equip and NOT use the wireless features
> but have it there in case I do need it in the future?
>
> Bottom line.... would you never again buy a WIRED only
> router period?

Sure get a WiFi router which also has a few wired ports.
Personally my experience of WiFi Routers has been poor and eventually I just
went ahead and installed some CAT5. That said I normally use remote
computers for video ... the WiFi was fine for browsing etc *most* of the
time however it still dropped out now and again.

Sayso Takewashi

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:27:39 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I currently do NOT have any computer equip capable of
>receiving a wireless router signal. Don't have a
>wireless laptop or anything like that
>
>Can I still go ahead an buy a wireless router and use
>it for my WIRED equip and NOT use the wireless features
>but have it there in case I do need it in the future?

It might be cheaper to buy now a wired router and WHEN YOU NEED IT the
wireless....

>Bottom line.... would you never again buy a WIRED only
>router period?

If i need them,i would buy that what does the job right....

Duane Arnold

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I currently do NOT have any computer equip capable of
> receiving a wireless router signal. Don't have a
> wireless laptop or anything like that
>
> Can I still go ahead an buy a wireless router and use
> it for my WIRED equip and NOT use the wireless features
> but have it there in case I do need it in the future?

You shouldn't buy a wireless router even if you get one that comes with
wired ports. The wireless routers use a lot of energy and burn out much
more quickly because of producing those radio signals as opposed to a
router that's solely or only is pushing those signals on copper wire that's
using less energy to do it.

> Bottom line.... would you never again buy a WIRED only
> router period?

Wireless technology is in flux and what you buy today will be outdated by
tomorrow. But good old reliable CAT 5 wired technology is going to be
there.

You may want to look at a wire router and plugging a wireless AP into the
good old reliable wired router for a wireless solution.

Duane

David Hemingsley

YES
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

me@privacy.net

>Sure get a WiFi router which also has a few wired ports.
>Personally my experience of WiFi Routers has been poor and eventually I just
>went ahead and installed some CAT5. That said I normally use remote
>computers for video ... the WiFi was fine for browsing etc *most* of the
>time however it still dropped out now and again.

Agree on the wire

I will use wire ALL the time when I can

And use only wireless for PDAs and laptops around the
home

But like I said I haven't bought a PDA or laptop yet.

Hence the questions

me@privacy.net

>You shouldn't buy a wireless router even if you get one that comes with
>wired ports. The wireless routers use a lot of energy and burn out much
>more quickly because of producing those radio signals as opposed to a
>router that's solely or only is pushing those signals on copper wire that's
>using less energy to do it.

I see

No way to just "turn off" the wireless portion all
together until needed?

>Wireless technology is in flux and what you buy today will be outdated by
>tomorrow. But good old reliable CAT 5 wired technology is going to be
>there.
>
>You may want to look at a wire router and plugging a wireless AP into the
>good old reliable wired router for a wireless solution.

OK

Good advice. Thanks!!

Time is always on my side when it comes to buying
hardware I suppose. Like you said whatever wireless
"standard" there is today will be replaced soon in the
future

Duane Arnold

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>You shouldn't buy a wireless router even if you get one that comes
>>with wired ports. The wireless routers use a lot of energy and burn
>>out much more quickly because of producing those radio signals as
>>opposed to a router that's solely or only is pushing those signals on
>>copper wire that's using less energy to do it.

> I see
>
> No way to just "turn off" the wireless portion all
> together until needed?

I have never seen or heard of one. But that's not to say there are none out
there.

Duane