Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless networking advice please

Wireless networking advice please

Moody Marco

Hi

Just ordered a new PC that comes with " 802.11g 54Meg Wi-Fi Wireless System
and Software. Set your PC as a virtual router to enable other Wi-Fi PCs and
notebooks in your house to share your broadband internet and provide
wireless home networking. "

I'm gonna put the old PC in another family member's room. What I need to
know is:

a) Is it possible, with the right hardware in the old PC, to then access the
main PC's ADSL net connection and use it's printer, from the old PC

and

b) what hardware would let me do this. I presume a wireless network card
similar to the one in the new PC would be needed in the old PC? If so, any
recommendations and rough costs?

Also I take it when sharing a net connection like this that each PC will
simply get half the bandwith each of they're both downloading at the same
time?

Thanks.

Conor

In article Moody Marco says...
> Hi
>
> Just ordered a new PC that comes with " 802.11g 54Meg Wi-Fi Wireless System
> and Software. Set your PC as a virtual router to enable other Wi-Fi PCs and
> notebooks in your house to share your broadband internet and provide
> wireless home networking. "
>
> I'm gonna put the old PC in another family member's room. What I need to
> know is:
>
> a) Is it possible, with the right hardware in the old PC, to then access the
> main PC's ADSL net connection and use it's printer, from the old PC
>
> and
>
> b) what hardware would let me do this. I presume a wireless network card
> similar to the one in the new PC would be needed in the old PC? If so, any
> recommendations and rough costs?
>
> Also I take it when sharing a net connection like this that each PC will
> simply get half the bandwith each of they're both downloading at the same
> time?

a) Yes. Its no different to doing it with a cabled network.
b) Better off getting a wireless ADSL Modem Router. Solves all the
problems. And no, bandwidth isn't shared like that. You need a router
that does traffic shaping.

--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?

Moody Marco

Conor wrote:
> In article Moody Marco says...
>> Hi
>>
>> Just ordered a new PC that comes with " 802.11g 54Meg Wi-Fi Wireless
>> System and Software. Set your PC as a virtual router to enable other
>> Wi-Fi PCs and notebooks in your house to share your broadband
>> internet and provide wireless home networking. "
>>
>> I'm gonna put the old PC in another family member's room. What I
>> need to know is:
>>
>> a) Is it possible, with the right hardware in the old PC, to then
>> access the main PC's ADSL net connection and use it's printer, from
>> the old PC
>>
>> and
>>
>> b) what hardware would let me do this. I presume a wireless network
>> card similar to the one in the new PC would be needed in the old PC?
>> If so, any recommendations and rough costs?
>>
>> Also I take it when sharing a net connection like this that each PC
>> will simply get half the bandwith each of they're both downloading
>> at the same time?
>>

> a) Yes. Its no different to doing it with a cabled network.

Cool

> b) Better off getting a wireless ADSL Modem Router.

Ok, you've lost me - what would that enable me to do?

>Solves all the
> problems. And no, bandwidth isn't shared like that. You need a router
> that does traffic shaping.

What if I don't get one? Will I still be able to share the connection?

The Old Sourdough

On 08 Dec 2004, Moody Marco scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Conor wrote:
>> In article Moody Marco says...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Just ordered a new PC that comes with " 802.11g 54Meg Wi-Fi
>>> Wireless System and Software. Set your PC as a virtual router to
>>> enable other Wi-Fi PCs and notebooks in your house to share your
>>> broadband internet and provide wireless home networking. "
>>>
>>> I'm gonna put the old PC in another family member's room. What
>>> I need to know is:

snip>>>
>> a) Yes. Its no different to doing it with a cabled network.

> Cool
>
>> b) Better off getting a wireless ADSL Modem Router.

> Ok, you've lost me - what would that enable me to

>>Solves all the
>> problems. And no, bandwidth isn't shared like that. You need a
>> router that does traffic shaping.

> What if I don't get one? Will I still be able to share the
> connection?

Yes, but one machine will be the internet gateway, and will have to be
on in order for the secind one to use the connection. A router will
enable both PCs to use the internet without having to have one (the
gateway) on in order to use the second on the 'net.

--
The Old Sourdough
BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life

Moody Marco

The Old Sourdough wrote:
> On 08 Dec 2004, Moody Marco scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> Conor wrote:
>>> In article Moody Marco says...

> snip>>>
>>> a) Yes. Its no different to doing it with a cabled network.

>> Cool
>>
>>> b) Better off getting a wireless ADSL Modem Router.

>> Ok, you've lost me - what would that enable me to

>>> Solves all the
>>> problems. And no, bandwidth isn't shared like that. You need a
>>> router that does traffic shaping.

>> What if I don't get one? Will I still be able to share the
>> connection?
>>

> Yes, but one machine will be the internet gateway, and will have to be
> on in order for the secind one to use the connection. A router will
> enable both PCs to use the internet without having to have one (the
> gateway) on in order to use the second on the 'net.

Ahh - so the router will have a built in ADSL modem, which will connect to
the microfilter and phone line. It will also plug into the mains and remain
on. Then either PC, using wireless network cards, can access the net?

If thats right, what ADSL router and wireless network card (for the old PC)
would folk recommend and what sort of cost (UK)?

1 question - if the router is just a box that ain't actually connected (by
cables) to a PC, how do you set it up/configure it?

Cheers!

why?

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:36:22 -0000, Moody Marco wrote:

>The Old Sourdough wrote:

<snip>

>>> What if I don't get one? Will I still be able to share the
>>> connection?
>>>

>> Yes, but one machine will be the internet gateway, and will have to be
>> on in order for the secind one to use the connection. A router will
>> enable both PCs to use the internet without having to have one (the
>> gateway) on in order to use the second on the 'net.

>Ahh - so the router will have a built in ADSL modem, which will connect to
>the microfilter and phone line. It will also plug into the mains and remain
>on. Then either PC, using wireless network cards, can access the net?
>
>If thats right, what ADSL router and wireless network card (for the old PC)
>would folk recommend and what sort of cost (UK)?
>
>1 question - if the router is just a box that ain't actually connected (by
>cables) to a PC, how do you set it up/configure it?

Older Netgear routers used a wired port as normal, or they also had a
serial port.

You still have to connect the router to a wired connection first for
configuration. The Belkin, wireless access point and wireless router I
just setup come with factory default addresses, I simply took a spare PC
and gave it an address in the same range manually for the access point.

The router on it's own is even simpler, as it assigns PC addresses on
the 4 port LAN switch automatically, just plugging in a PC set to DHCP
gives you a connection.

Both the manuals tell you the address to type into your web browser.

Me

Billh

"Moody Marco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Old Sourdough wrote:

>> snip>>>
>>>
>>> Cool

>>> Ok, you've lost me - what would that enable me to

>>> What if I don't get one? Will I still be able to share the
>>> connection?
>>>

>> Yes, but one machine will be the internet gateway, and will have to be
>> on in order for the secind one to use the connection. A router will
>> enable both PCs to use the internet without having to have one (the
>> gateway) on in order to use the second on the 'net.

> Ahh - so the router will have a built in ADSL modem, which will connect to
> the microfilter and phone line. It will also plug into the mains and
> remain on. Then either PC, using wireless network cards, can access the
> net?
>
> If thats right, what ADSL router and wireless network card (for the old
> PC) would folk recommend and what sort of cost (UK)?
>
> 1 question - if the router is just a box that ain't actually connected (by
> cables) to a PC, how do you set it up/configure it?
>
> Cheers!

In most cases you do not get a router with a built in DSL modem. You get
the modem from your ISP then get your own router.

As far as configuring the router the default setup should allow you to
connect with a wireless computer but if your only means to connect is with
wireless computer and you make a change to the router that causes you to
lose that wireless connection you are out of luck.

What I would do is put the modem and DSL near the old computer and if it has
a network card in it use a simple cat5 patch cable to connect it to the
router. If it does not have a network card a wired one can be had for
around 10.00 US a wireless card would be many times more.

Lady Chatterly

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> why?

Ah, ****.

>You still have to connect the router to a wired connection first for
>configuration. The Belkin, wireless access point and wireless router I
>just setup come with factory default addresses, I simply took a spare PC
>and gave it an address in the same range manually for the access point.

Good try, but that is an old worn-out magic word.

>The route<WHACK>

Geeze! You too?

>Both the manuals tell you the address to type into your web browser.

Applets do not run on it is own motion to write about me at all, but
if he did, be honest, we need to start paying attention to the idiot.

>Me

What makes you think it was me?

--
Lady Chatterly

"is there someone actually posting as Lady Chatterly, or is this all
some kind of elaborate sock? i'm not getting them." -- ronin

me@privacy.net

>The Belkin, wireless access point and wireless router I
>just setup come with factory default addresses,

What model Belkin did you buy?

Just curious as Im in market for combo wireless router

Cody

Due to the current FAA regulations, using a computer as a virtual router
wouldn't allow you to connect to a DSL or Broadband connection. It wouldn't
allow to connect to a remote printer. SRRY!