Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless networking advice

Wireless networking advice

Moody Marco

Hi

Just ordered a new PC that comes with " 802.11g 54Meg Wi-Fi Wireless System
and Software. Set your PC as a virtual router to enable other Wi-Fi PCs and
notebooks in your house to share your broadband internet and provide
wireless home networking. "

I'm gonna put the old PC in another family member's room. What I need to
know is:

a) Is it possible, with the right hardware in the old PC, to then access the
main PC's ADSL net connection and use it's printer, from the old PC

and

b) what hardware would let me do this. I presume a wireless network card
similar to the one in the new PC would be needed in the old PC? If so, any
recommendations and rough costs?

Also I take it when sharing a net connection like this that each PC will
simply get half the bandwith each of they're both downloading at the same
time?

Thanks.

David Hemingsley

Yes to all of your questions and a US Robotics (thats a good make) wireless
network card is what you need and a router splits the bandwith equally so
all of the pc's download at the same rate
news:(E-Mail Removed)...