Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem downloading application to CD RW

Problem downloading application to CD RW

ECLiPSE 2002

I am attempting to download a utility called FreeUndelete from the
provider's web site to a CD-RW disk in my drive D. The provider
advises that the utility be downloaded and run from a drive other than
the one containing the files to be undeleted.

When I attempt to download the application ( a 1 Mb, self-installing
exe file) to my Drive D I get a pop up error message that tells me D:\
is not accessible - incorrect function.

What am I doing wrong?

I tried a work around by downloading the application self-installing
exe file to my desktop and then used my CD burning software to burn it
to a CD-RW disk. However when I try to run the exe setup to install
the application on the disk as D:\FreeUndelete I get another pop up
error message telling me that an invalid directory name specified or
the removable media specified is not properly inserted.

Anyone know what is going wrong here? Do I need to create a directory
in Drive D so that I can install the application there? If so, how
does one create a valid directory in Drive D?

Any insights or suggestion would be appreciated,

Frank

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Open MY COMPUTER and double-click on your hard drive.
When the window opens, right-click and select New > Folder.
Rename the folder "Free Undelete" and download the file to
that folder, then double-click the file to begin installation.

FreeUndelete - download
http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/download.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...t/default.aspx

"ECLiPSE 2002" wrote:

| I am attempting to download a utility called FreeUndelete from the
| provider's web site to a CD-RW disk in my drive D. The provider
| advises that the utility be downloaded and run from a drive other than
| the one containing the files to be undeleted.
|
| When I attempt to download the application ( a 1 Mb, self-installing
| exe file) to my Drive D I get a pop up error message that tells me D:\
| is not accessible - incorrect function.
|
| What am I doing wrong?
|
| I tried a work around by downloading the application self-installing
| exe file to my desktop and then used my CD burning software to burn it
| to a CD-RW disk. However when I try to run the exe setup to install
| the application on the disk as D:\FreeUndelete I get another pop up
| error message telling me that an invalid directory name specified or
| the removable media specified is not properly inserted.
|
| Anyone know what is going wrong here? Do I need to create a directory
| in Drive D so that I can install the application there? If so, how
| does one create a valid directory in Drive D?
|
| Any insights or suggestion would be appreciated,
|
| Frank

Flying Rat

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, fdm2000
@comcast.net says...

> I am attempting to download a utility called FreeUndelete from the
> provider's web site to a CD-RW disk in my drive D. The provider
> advises that the utility be downloaded and run from a drive other than
> the one containing the files to be undeleted.
>
> When I attempt to download the application ( a 1 Mb, self-installing
> exe file) to my Drive D I get a pop up error message that tells me D:\
> is not accessible - incorrect function.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

First download it to your hard drive, then write it to the CD. That
should clear the problem.

CDRW disks are not made to be used as a dynamic storage volume like a
hard disk, that's probably why you are getting the error. So save it to
your hard drive then move it to the CDRW

FR

me here at www.flyingrat.net

Rodney Kelp

Open cd's are just for writing to not for running things. You have to close
the cd to run something and CD-RW don't run well on all systems. Try writing
to a CD-R, close it then run it.

"ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am attempting to download a utility called FreeUndelete from the
> provider's web site to a CD-RW disk in my drive D. The provider
> advises that the utility be downloaded and run from a drive other than
> the one containing the files to be undeleted.
>
> When I attempt to download the application ( a 1 Mb, self-installing
> exe file) to my Drive D I get a pop up error message that tells me D:\
> is not accessible - incorrect function.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> I tried a work around by downloading the application self-installing
> exe file to my desktop and then used my CD burning software to burn it
> to a CD-RW disk. However when I try to run the exe setup to install
> the application on the disk as D:\FreeUndelete I get another pop up
> error message telling me that an invalid directory name specified or
> the removable media specified is not properly inserted.
>
> Anyone know what is going wrong here? Do I need to create a directory
> in Drive D so that I can install the application there? If so, how
> does one create a valid directory in Drive D?
>
> Any insights or suggestion would be appreciated,
>
> Frank

---

ECLiPSE 2002

Many thanks to Carey, Flying Rat and Rodney for their asistance.

Frank