Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Freeware alternatives for Qwik-Fix?

Freeware alternatives for Qwik-Fix?

Some1

Qwik-Fix is finishing its freeware period in 5 days.
Does anyone know about a good freeware substitute for it?
Links would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

--
Some1

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:32:49 -0500, "Some1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> Qwik-Fix is finishing its freeware period in 5 days.
|> Does anyone know about a good freeware substitute for it?
|> Links would be greatly appreciated.

Most people use TeaTimer, bundled with Spybot-S&D.

I use Prevx, which I think is much better.
http://www1.prevx.com/prevxhome.asp

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html

I use Prevx, which I think is much better.
http://www1.prevx.com/prevxhome.asp

Some1

<(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I use Prevx, which I think is much better.
> http://www1.prevx.com/prevxhome.asp

Thank you for the link.

Prevx Home *anonymously and automatically transmits threat data each time an
attack is made on your PC*. This threat data is used to drive the new "ask
the audience" feature that helps users make the decision to accept or deny
each security event alert

Unquote

Emphasis * * is my addition to the quote.

Do they really transmit data *anonymously*? What kind of data? Should I be
concerned about breach of privacy?

--
Some1

ImhoTech

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

How the **** wold you know what "most" people do?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Some1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
|> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|>

|> > I use Prevx, which I think is much better.
|> > http://www1.prevx.com/prevxhome.asp

I really should quit pushing this program, while very good at what it
does, and I like it for it's low resource usage. It does take some work
to insure security (to my satisfaction).

|> Thank you for the link.

|> Prevx Home *anonymously and automatically transmits threat data each time an
|> attack is made on your PC*. This threat data is used to drive the new "ask
|> the audience" feature that helps users make the decision to accept or deny
|> each security event alert
|>
|> Unquote
|>
|> Emphasis * * is my addition to the quote.
|>
|> Do they really transmit data *anonymously*? What kind of data? Should I be
|> concerned about breach of privacy?

I read all EULA's and don't get malware/spyware or haven't yet.
And this one was just weird, I figured it was just a translation error.
anonymously meaning in the background, and audience being yourself.

Back to how I ensure security with this.

They demand an E-mail address I used:
http://spamhole.com/

On installation it calls home to finish the install.
(I'm a NAT system, and gave it that call)

It want's to upgrade itself every so often (It's free until after 3
updates) by it's very nature it doesn't require updating (no dat files)
so I edited the registry to bump up the date a few years.

No it doesn't call out, ZoneAlarm has never asked for it's access.

Stick with TeaTimer as it comes with Spybot-S&D which you should have
installed anyhow. I just gave you that link as it answer'd your
question.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:13:43 -0500, "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|> > Most people use TeaTimer, bundled with Spybot-S&D.
|> > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
|> >

|> How the **** wold you know what "most" people do?

The program comes bundled with Spybot-S&D which this group links to
everybody and a should have program. The statement is a given.

Little clue here dude.

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
8 Dec 2004 14:13:43 -0500, "ImhoTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> screamed
from behind the mulberry bush:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Most people use TeaTimer, bundled with Spybot-S&D.
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>>
>> I use Prevx, which I think is much better.
>> http://www1.prevx.com/prevxhome.asp
>>

>> --

>How the **** wold you know what "most" people do?

She's psychic. Or is that psychotic? I forget.......

BGP alternatives? SP Cisco 3 09-08-2009 02:32 AM
RE: Is this Software A Rip Off?Any Experiences?Freeware Alternatives Heidy Computer Support 5 04-10-2007 12:29 AM
RE: Is this Software A Rip Off?Any Experiences?Freeware Alternatives Heidy Computer Support 3 04-08-2007 05:45 PM
RE: Is this Software A Rip Off?Any Experiences?Freeware Alternatives Heidy Computer Information 1 04-08-2007 12:00 PM
alternatives to accessing PIX via Telnet Anne Robynn Cisco 3 01-03-2004 08:48 AM

Advertisments