Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CD-R Music - For Audio Recording

CD-R Music - For Audio Recording

John R. Baker

What is the difference between regular "CD-R" media and "CD-R Music - for
audio recording" media?

Of course, the name says it all. Or does it?

I've used regular "CD-R" media to record music, with no problems at all.

Can I record ordinary non-music files onto the "CD-R Music - for audio
recording" media? If I had to guess, I'd say, "yes".

Perhaps the "CD-R Music - for audio recording" media is made with premium
materials, with tighter quality control, but otherwise equal. The "CD-R
Music - for audio recording" media costs more than the regular kind.

Just curious...

- John R. Baker

The Old Sourdough

On 07 Dec 2004, John R. Baker scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> What is the difference between regular "CD-R" media and "CD-R
> Music - for audio recording" media?
>
> Of course, the name says it all. Or does it?
>
> I've used regular "CD-R" media to record music, with no problems
> at all.
>
> Can I record ordinary non-music files onto the "CD-R Music - for
> audio recording" media? If I had to guess, I'd say, "yes".
>
> Perhaps the "CD-R Music - for audio recording" media is made with
> premium materials, with tighter quality control, but otherwise
> equal. The "CD-R Music - for audio recording" media costs more
> than the regular kind.
>
> Just curious...
>
> - John R. Baker

Take a look at this, it should explain it for you:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=258223

and here (make sure your pop-up stopper is on):

http://club.cdfreaks.com/lite/t-47885.html

--
The Old Sourdough
BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life

sethra

John R. Baker wrote in news:Zwvtd.154272$V41.92489@attbi_s52:

> What is the difference between regular "CD-R" media and "CD-R Music - for
> audio recording" media?

The only difference is "audio" blanks already have a bit set which allows
them to work in standalone cd copiers -- the standalone copier looks for
this bit, and won't use a cd that doesn't have it, thus only "audio" blanks
work in them and regular data cds don't.

Your burner doesn't look for or recognize this bit, so there's no
difference to it whether you use "audio" blanks or data blanks.

The "audio" blanks also have some sort of tax figured into the price, which
goes to the record companies, not the artists.

--
~sethra

John R. Baker

"The Old Sourdough" <sameas@above> wrote in message
news:Xns95B9715A51CEdontbothertoreplyall@192.168.1 .5...
> On 07 Dec 2004, John R. Baker scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
> > What is the difference between regular "CD-R" media and "CD-R
> > Music - for audio recording" media?
> >
> > Of course, the name says it all. Or does it?
> >
> > I've used regular "CD-R" media to record music, with no problems
> > at all.
> >
> > Can I record ordinary non-music files onto the "CD-R Music - for
> > audio recording" media? If I had to guess, I'd say, "yes".
> >
> > Perhaps the "CD-R Music - for audio recording" media is made with
> > premium materials, with tighter quality control, but otherwise
> > equal. The "CD-R Music - for audio recording" media costs more
> > than the regular kind.
> >
> > Just curious...
> >
> > - John R. Baker
> >

> Take a look at this, it should explain it for you:
>
> http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=258223
>
> and here (make sure your pop-up stopper is on):
>
> http://club.cdfreaks.com/lite/t-47885.html
>
> --
> The Old Sourdough
> BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life

Thanks for the links, T.O.S. It's all clear now.

- John R. Baker

P.S. $#^%$&&# pop-ups!

John R. Baker

"sethra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> John R. Baker wrote in news:Zwvtd.154272$V41.92489@attbi_s52:
>
> > What is the difference between regular "CD-R" media and "CD-R Music -

for
> > audio recording" media?

> The only difference is "audio" blanks already have a bit set which allows
> them to work in standalone cd copiers -- the standalone copier looks for
> this bit, and won't use a cd that doesn't have it, thus only "audio"

blanks
> work in them and regular data cds don't.
>
> Your burner doesn't look for or recognize this bit, so there's no
> difference to it whether you use "audio" blanks or data blanks.
>
> The "audio" blanks also have some sort of tax figured into the price,

which
> goes to the record companies, not the artists.
>
> --
> ~sethra

sethra,

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

- John R. Baker

The Old Sourdough

On 08 Dec 2004, John R. Baker scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> "The Old Sourdough" <sameas@above> wrote in message
> news:Xns95B9715A51CEdontbothertoreplyall@192.168.1 .5...

snip
>> Take a look at this, it should explain it for you:
>>
>> http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=258223
>>
>> and here (make sure your pop-up stopper is on):
>>
>> http://club.cdfreaks.com/lite/t-47885.html

snip

> Thanks for the links, T.O.S. It's all clear now.
>
> - John R. Baker
>
> P.S. $#^%$&&# pop-ups!

You're welcome, and yeah, my popup blocker went nuts, one after
another!

:-p

--
The Old Sourdough