Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Desktop Icons Wouldn't Work Until Rebooted: Why ?

Desktop Icons Wouldn't Work Until Rebooted: Why ?

Robert11

Hi,

Just trying to learn about what might have happened.

Have a new PC running XP.
All seems fine.

But, I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
do nothing. Wouldn't open.

Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting
OPEN, wouldn't work either.

Re-booted, and all fine now.

What might have caused ?

Bob

Lord Jester

Robert11 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just trying to learn about what might have happened.
>
> Have a new PC running XP.
> All seems fine.
>
> But, I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
> back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
> do nothing. Wouldn't open.
>
> Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting
> OPEN, wouldn't work either.
>
> Re-booted, and all fine now.
>
> What might have caused ?
>
> Bob

That fact that your running windows has allot to do with it. Seriously
though there could be any number of reasons for this happening. If I
remember correctly (I don't use windows) one of the more common reasons
would be that your kernel crashed. I think that's what it was called..
Anyway that's windows for you. Also when you run certain programs (mostly
older games for example) this happens. The game itself forgets to release
certain parts of windows back to windows.

I wouldn't worry about it though. If it happens often then I would be
concerned.

JesterDev