Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Formatting an additional hard drive with FAT 32

Formatting an additional hard drive with FAT 32

Gerry Wolf

Anyone know how I can format and setup an additional hard drive using FAT32
rather than NTFS? I know, I know, NTFS is preferred, but my network, other
than this system are all running Windows 98 se and would not have access to
the drive if it's NTFS. I cannot seem to bring up any option where I can
choose the file system to format the drive to, it automatically defaults to
NTFS. I've tried using Windows XP Disk Management and the software from
Western Digital, neither will allow that option.

Suggestions? DOS and run fdisk?

Gerry

°Mike°

Description of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310525

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:33:16 GMT, in
<MHmtd.127222$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com>
Gerry Wolf scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Plato

Gerry Wolf wrote:

> Anyone know how I can format and setup an additional hard drive using FAT32
> rather than NTFS? I know, I know, NTFS is preferred, but my network, other

Why is NTFS preferred?

> than this system are all running Windows 98 se and would not have access to
> the drive if it's NTFS. I cannot seem to bring up any option where I can

Network shares dont care about the file system on a share.

> choose the file system to format the drive to, it automatically defaults to
> NTFS. I've tried using Windows XP Disk Management and the software from
> Western Digital, neither will allow that option.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

PJB

"Gerry Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MHmtd.127222$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> Anyone know how I can format and setup an additional hard drive using

FAT32
> rather than NTFS? I know, I know, NTFS is preferred, but my network, other
> than this system are all running Windows 98 se and would not have access

> the drive if it's NTFS. I cannot seem to bring up any option where I can
> choose the file system to format the drive to, it automatically defaults

> NTFS. I've tried using Windows XP Disk Management and the software from
> Western Digital, neither will allow that option.

Your win98 machines won't care how the drive is formatted if they are
accessing it over the netowrk.

> Suggestions? DOS and run fdisk?

if you want to

P.

ImhoTech

"Gerry Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MHmtd.127222$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> Anyone know how I can format and setup an additional hard drive using
> FAT32 rather than NTFS? I know, I know, NTFS is preferred, but my network,
> other than this system are all running Windows 98 se and would not have
> access to the drive if it's NTFS.

This is false. They would be accessing a network share, The filesystem on
the XP machine os irrelevant, and , though not of special use to most home
users, NTFS is prefered over FAT32 for network shares in most networks.

>I cannot seem to bring up any option where I can choose the file system to
>format the drive to, it automatically defaults to NTFS. I've tried using
>Windows XP Disk Management and the software from Western Digital, neither
>will allow that option.
>
> Suggestions? DOS and run fdisk?
>
> Gerry

How big is it? XP won't give FAT32 as an option if the partition is over
32GB. Larger than that would have to be formatted outside of the OS, easiest
to use would be the manufacturers diskprep disk, easily downloaded if not
included with your drive.