Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > windows/system32 folder

windows/system32 folder

Watcher111

Greetings all,

I have had a problem in recent days, and I hope someone has the right answer
for me.

In the past week or so, when I boot up my computer in the morning, or have
to reboot during the day, the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder opens up on my
screen. It doesn't cause any problems, other than the annoyance of having to
close it every time it shows it's ugly head on my screen. How can I stop
this from happening without reloading the OS and starting all over again?

System Specs:
Windows XP Pro version 2002 SP1
Compaq Presario
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
1.53 GHz
256 MB RAM

----------------------
Watcher111
remove nospam. to reply direct
----------------------
Drive a mime nuts, Play a blank tape at full volume

why?

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:49:13 GMT, Watcher111 wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>I have had a problem in recent days, and I hope someone has the right answer
>for me.
>
>In the past week or so, when I boot up my computer in the morning, or have
>to reboot during the day, the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder opens up on my

IIRC the answer to this (or related issue) was posted in 24HSHD not so
long ago.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...pport.helpdesk
26 results for system32 folder open on desktop

Again if IIRC there is a MS KB article as well,
www.google.com results in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228502

<snip>

Me

allang

I have the same problem with Internet folder IGC. hope you get an answer.
"Watcher111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Zhktd.55715$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Greetings all,
>
> I have had a problem in recent days, and I hope someone has the right
> answer
> for me.
>
> In the past week or so, when I boot up my computer in the morning, or have
> to reboot during the day, the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder opens up on my
> screen. It doesn't cause any problems, other than the annoyance of having
> close it every time it shows it's ugly head on my screen. How can I stop
> this from happening without reloading the OS and starting all over again?
>
> System Specs:
> Windows XP Pro version 2002 SP1
> Compaq Presario
> AMD Athlon XP 1800+
> 1.53 GHz
> 256 MB RAM
>

> ----------------------
> Watcher111
> (E-Mail Removed)
> remove nospam. to reply direct
> ----------------------
> Drive a mime nuts, Play a blank tape at full volume

°Mike°

System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP,
Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4.0
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

And please fix your broken signature. A signature should
be delimited by two dashes, one space followed by RETURN.
Then comes your signature, which should not be longer
than four lines.

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:49:13 GMT, in
<Zhktd.55715$(E-Mail Removed) m>
Watcher111 scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Plato

http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#7

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Watcher111

Thank you to all who replied. The fix worked, I did have one null value in
the registry location in the M$ KB article

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP,
> Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4.0
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>

> And please fix your broken signature. A signature should
> be delimited by two dashes, one space followed by RETURN.
> Then comes your signature, which should not be longer
> than four lines.
>

> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:49:13 GMT, in
> <Zhktd.55715$(E-Mail Removed) m>
> Watcher111 scrawled:
>
> >Greetings all,
> >
> >I have had a problem in recent days, and I hope someone has the right

answer
> >for me.
> >
> >In the past week or so, when I boot up my computer in the morning, or

have
> >to reboot during the day, the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder opens up on my
> >screen. It doesn't cause any problems, other than the annoyance of having

> >close it every time it shows it's ugly head on my screen. How can I stop
> >this from happening without reloading the OS and starting all over again?

> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°