Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Could someone recommend a codec pack please

Could someone recommend a codec pack please

Buffy

Hi I am currently unable to fast forward or rewind some downloaded
videos. I have a DivX player installed that I view them on but no
additional things installed. I am thinking that I need one of these
codec packs to enable me to fast forward etc. I've no idea what to get
but Ive heard that a lot of them will cause system crashes etc

Thanks

tcg

"Buffy" <stuartDONT-SEND-ME@aberhondduRUBBISH!!!!!!.me.uk> wrote in message
news:cp1viv$7la$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> Hi I am currently unable to fast forward or rewind some downloaded
> videos. I have a DivX player installed that I view them on but no
> additional things installed. I am thinking that I need one of these
> codec packs to enable me to fast forward etc. I've no idea what to get
> but Ive heard that a lot of them will cause system crashes etc
>
> Thanks

You probably don't need to DL the player that comes with the codec.

http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/

Valverdez

"Buffy" <stuartDONT-SEND-ME@aberhondduRUBBISH!!!!!!.me.uk> wrote in message
news:cp1viv$7la$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> Hi I am currently unable to fast forward or rewind some downloaded videos.
> I have a DivX player installed that I view them on but no additional
> things installed. I am thinking that I need one of these codec packs to
> enable me to fast forward etc. I've no idea what to get but Ive heard that
> a lot of them will cause system crashes etc
>
> Thanks

Just make sure that you have the current coded installed for playing DIVX
files, I believe they are up to 5.2.something now. Go to
http://www.divx.com/ and download the new player, this will have all the
latest codecs with it.

Valverde

Barry OGrady

Yes

-Barry
========

gangle

"Buffy" wrote
> Hi I am currently unable to fast forward or rewind some downloaded
> videos. I have a DivX player installed that I view them on but no
> additional things installed. I am thinking that I need one of these
> codec packs to enable me to fast forward etc. I've no idea what to get
> but Ive heard that a lot of them will cause system crashes etc

Don't use codec packs. You should install codecs, one at
a time, only if/when needed. Use GSpot to tell you what codec
was used to compress an avi file.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/