Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > installing programs on D:/ partition

installing programs on D:/ partition

Joe_Z

Greetings

i have installed applications on D:/ for a few years now with only a few
programs having issues, i did a google and mainly found win os related
advice or dual os advice and not much program advice, if you would, any
links that explain what goes with the reg as far as installing programs to a
different partition other than C:/ would be of great help, i'm trying to set
a system up so, as you might have guessed, windows goes south or corrupts i
won't need to reinstall all the programs again, or possibly being able to
move programs to another systemor via cdr backup and not loose there
configuration or settings, i know some programs require a good amount of reg
entries be installed, i've had some success with backing up the programs reg
entries before on certain programs, your help is greatly appreciated, many
thanks for your time or links....

Rob K

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:53:44 GMT, Joe_Z wrote:

> Greetings

<snip>

If I understand you correctly, you want a dual boot, so if in case the
one OS 'goes south' the other can take over smoothly.
Uh-uh, no such thing exists.

The whole (Windows) world want such a failsafe arrangement, right ?

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:53:44 GMT, "Joe_Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> Greetings
|>
|> i have installed applications on D:/ for a few years now with only a few
|> programs having issues, i did a google and mainly found win os related
|> advice or dual os advice and not much program advice, if you would, any
|> links that explain what goes with the reg as far as installing programs to a
|> different partition other than C:/ would be of great help, i'm trying to set
|> a system up so, as you might have guessed, windows goes south or corrupts i
|> won't need to reinstall all the programs again, or possibly being able to
|> move programs to another systemor via cdr backup and not loose there
|> configuration or settings, i know some programs require a good amount of reg
|> entries be installed, i've had some success with backing up the programs reg
|> entries before on certain programs, your help is greatly appreciated, many
|> thanks for your time or links....

No, if you lose your operating system you will also need to reinstall
any programs. You can not just take and move a Program to another system
and expect it to work, you will need to reinstall it.

There are exceptions but they are very rare (and appreciated in my
view). They don't write to the registry, using .INI files to direct it's
actions, If these programs are moved to a different partition the .ini
would need to be edited reflecting the change.

To understand what goes on when you install a program use InstallWatch
when installing your next program.

Another program you might find of interest is InstallRite as it will
allow you to move programs to another location - Ok you can move
programs, you just need help doing it

Both of these programs are located at:
http://www.epsilonsquared.com/
and free of charge.

Joe_Z

not dual boot, i'd like to install programs on D partition and win xp on C
partition, i've had verious success with most programs but it's seems like
the more copy righted the software is the more reg involved it is, just
looking for tips thanks...

"Rob K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1o2abl4okf8fx$.mwwyhdnvtitf$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:53:44 GMT, Joe_Z wrote:
>
> > Greetings

> <snip>
>
> If I understand you correctly, you want a dual boot, so if in case the
> one OS 'goes south' the other can take over smoothly.
> Uh-uh, no such thing exists.
>
> The whole (Windows) world want such a failsafe arrangement, right ?
>
> --
> My E-mail address in ROT-13:
> (E-Mail Removed)

Joe_Z

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:53:44 GMT, "Joe_Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |> Greetings
> |>
> |> i have installed applications on D:/ for a few years now with only a

few
> |> programs having issues, i did a google and mainly found win os related
> |> advice or dual os advice and not much program advice, if you would, any
> |> links that explain what goes with the reg as far as installing programs

to a
> |> different partition other than C:/ would be of great help, i'm trying

to set
> |> a system up so, as you might have guessed, windows goes south or

corrupts i
> |> won't need to reinstall all the programs again, or possibly being able

> |> move programs to another systemor via cdr backup and not loose there
> |> configuration or settings, i know some programs require a good amount

of reg
> |> entries be installed, i've had some success with backing up the

programs reg
> |> entries before on certain programs, your help is greatly appreciated,

many
> |> thanks for your time or links....
> |>

> No, if you lose your operating system you will also need to reinstall
> any programs. You can not just take and move a Program to another system
> and expect it to work, you will need to reinstall it.
>
> There are exceptions but they are very rare (and appreciated in my
> view). They don't write to the registry, using .INI files to direct it's
> actions, If these programs are moved to a different partition the .ini
> would need to be edited reflecting the change.
>
> To understand what goes on when you install a program use InstallWatch
> when installing your next program.
>
> Another program you might find of interest is InstallRite as it will
> allow you to move programs to another location - Ok you can move
> programs, you just need help doing it
>
> Both of these programs are located at:
> http://www.epsilonsquared.com/
> and free of charge.