Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Decoding

Decoding

Simondo

I'm learning how to download binaries using OE6,i can do music fine etc save
it to my desktop but everything else i'm struggling with,when i've decoded
it all and say i send it to my desktop all i get is an envelope with what
i've just decoded inside not say the item what it should convert into.
Appreciate it's not the best description but don't know any other way yet as
it's all new.

Many Thanks

gangle

"Simondo" wrote
> I'm learning how to download binaries using OE6,i can do music fine etc save
> it to my desktop but everything else i'm struggling with,when i've decoded
> it all and say i send it to my desktop all i get is an envelope with what
> i've just decoded inside not say the item what it should convert into.
> Appreciate it's not the best description but don't know any other way yet as
> it's all new.
>
> Many Thanks

You are probably running into Rar parts that have been
encoded using yEnc.

If the files are yEnc encoded, which is very common,
you will not be able to combine and decode them with
Outlook Express. Micrsoft is NOT going to add
yEnc support to OE, and decoding yEnc using external,
3rd party software is cumbersome at best, so I suggest
not even trying. Instead, you'd be better off installing and
learning to use a dedicated news reader that decodes yEnc
internally. (You can still use OE as a text reader/poster
for newsgroups, but no one serious about multi-part
binary recovery uses OE.)

Examples of yEnc-capable newsreaders:

Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent -- 30
day free trial):
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
or Xnews (free):
http://xnews.newsguy.com/
or Gravity (free):
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tba...ty/start1.html
Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
for downloading binaries (no posting):
http://www.newsbin.com/ .

Rar (WinRar--similar to WinZip) files are compressed
archives that have been split into Rar Parts.
WinRar shareware (always works, even after trial
period): http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
Rar Tutorial: http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=5

Happyhooker

There is an easy way to use Outlook and decode Ynec. Just go to BrawneyLads
software for a free download of their Yproxy.
http://www.brawnylads.com/modules.ph...egories&cid=11

dadiOH

Simondo wrote:
> I'm learning how to download binaries using OE6,i can do music fine
> etc save it to my desktop but everything else i'm struggling
> with,when i've decoded it all and say i send it to my desktop all i
> get is an envelope with what i've just decoded inside not say the
> item what it should convert into. Appreciate it's not the best
> description but don't know any other way yet as it's all new.
>
> Many Thanks

Easy solution: don't use OE, use a program designed for the purpose
such as GrabIt.
http://www.shemes.com/

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Combining & Decoding video. Aido Firefox 6 10-30-2005 03:19 AM
Want Yenc decoding - Netscape 7.2 or Other? murman Firefox 1 09-03-2004 07:47 PM
Address decoding Laurent Pinchart VHDL 3 04-12-2004 05:50 PM
Conbine and decoding in Thunderbird Joebee Firefox 0 09-24-2003 12:04 PM
help in soft-decision decoding of convolution code ouadid abdelkarim VHDL 0 07-10-2003 03:56 AM

Advertisments