Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Glossary builder needed

Glossary builder needed

Murgi

Occasionally I have to compile glossaries for translation projects, therefore
I am looking either for a freeware, shareware or commercial software that
can do that easily.
For example, right now I have an English manual that deals with dental equipment.
The German reference material has been done by a dentist which is of excellent
quality, and Ifd like to produce an upgradable English-German dictionary.
It would also be nice if this dictionary can be reversed and serve as German-English
dictionary.

The format shall look like this one:

Obturator Verschlussprothese
Eccentric occlusion azentrische Okklusion
Rubber dam holder Kofferdamhalter

Ifd like to add new expressions as the work progresses. The software is
supposed to display the expressions in alphabetical order.

Right now Ifd need to start without any dedicated software. I might use
MS Word or Excel. I could imagine that Excel would be a good choice since
I can create two columns and start right away. Can Excel sort the left column
alphabetically and integrate the right column accordingly? I have never done
anything like that in Excel nor in MS Word.
I am hoping for a helping hand in this matter.

With kind regards,
Murgi

samuel

"Murgi" <RP0000000013@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in

> Occasionally I have to compile glossaries for translation
> projects, therefore I am looking either for a freeware,
> shareware or commercial software that can do that easily.
> For example, right now I have an English manual that deals
> with dental equipment. The German reference material has been
> done by a dentist which is of excellent quality, and Ifd like
> to produce an upgradable English-German dictionary. It would
> also be nice if this dictionary can be reversed and serve as
> German-English dictionary.
>
> The format shall look like this one:
>
> Obturator Verschlussprothese
> Eccentric occlusion azentrische
> Okklusion Rubber dam holder
> Kofferdamhalter
>

> Ifd like to add new expressions as the work progresses. The
> software is supposed to display the expressions in
> alphabetical order.
>
> Right now Ifd need to start without any dedicated software. I
> might use MS Word or Excel. I could imagine that Excel would
> be a good choice since I can create two columns and start
> right away. Can Excel sort the left column alphabetically and
> integrate the right column accordingly?

yes

microsoft.public.excel

> I have never done
> anything like that in Excel nor in MS Word. I am hoping for a
> helping hand in this matter.
>
> With kind regards,
> Murgi

Brian G.

"samuel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Murgi" <RP0000000013@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in
>

> > Occasionally I have to compile glossaries for translation
> > projects, therefore I am looking either for a freeware,
> > shareware or commercial software that can do that easily.
> > For example, right now I have an English manual that deals
> > with dental equipment. The German reference material has been
> > done by a dentist which is of excellent quality, and Ifd like
> > to produce an upgradable English-German dictionary. It would
> > also be nice if this dictionary can be reversed and serve as
> > German-English dictionary.
> >
> > The format shall look like this one:
> >
> > Obturator Verschlussprothese
> > Eccentric occlusion azentrische
> > Okklusion Rubber dam holder
> > Kofferdamhalter
> >

> > Ifd like to add new expressions as the work progresses. The
> > software is supposed to display the expressions in
> > alphabetical order.
> >
> > Right now Ifd need to start without any dedicated software. I
> > might use MS Word or Excel. I could imagine that Excel would
> > be a good choice since I can create two columns and start
> > right away. Can Excel sort the left column alphabetically and
> > integrate the right column accordingly?

> yes
>
> microsoft.public.excel

Or by using tables in Word

Richard

Murgi wrote:

> Occasionally I have to compile glossaries for translation projects,
> therefore I am looking either for a freeware, shareware or commercial
> software that can do that easily.
> For example, right now I have an English manual that deals with dental
> equipment. The German reference material has been done by a dentist which
> is of excellent quality, and Ifd like to produce an upgradable
> English-German dictionary. It would also be nice if this dictionary can
> be reversed and serve as German-English dictionary.

> The format shall look like this one:

> Obturator Verschlussprothese
> Eccentric occlusion azentrische Okklusion
> Rubber dam holder Kofferdamhalter

> Ifd like to add new expressions as the work progresses. The software is
> supposed to display the expressions in alphabetical order.

> Right now Ifd need to start without any dedicated software. I might use
> MS Word or Excel. I could imagine that Excel would be a good choice since
> I can create two columns and start right away. Can Excel sort the left
> column alphabetically and integrate the right column accordingly? I have
> never done anything like that in Excel nor in MS Word.
> I am hoping for a helping hand in this matter.

> With kind regards,
> Murgi

Obturator:
Instrument used to occlude a hollow cannula

Now I'm sure they'll understand that perfectly in German.
Why can't they just say "a hollow tube"?
Oh how I love technical manuals.

Or even more simpler, a device inserted into the mouth for use as a feeding
implement.
Nahhhhhhh. Not on your life.

Murgi

>Obturator:
>Instrument used to occlude a hollow cannula
>
>Now I'm sure they'll understand that perfectly in German.
>Why can't they just say "a hollow tube"?

Well, this the usual academic lingo... but that's what I have to translate.
If your version is used, I don't need a glossary since it is easy to grasp.
On the other hand, I need one word and not the explanation... which would
be OK for an English-English glossary (encyclopedia).

Murgi

John

samuel wrote:

> "Murgi" <RP0000000013@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in
>

>> Occasionally I have to compile glossaries for translation
>> projects, therefore I am looking either for a freeware,
>> shareware or commercial software that can do that easily.
>> For example, right now I have an English manual that deals
>> with dental equipment. The German reference material has been
>> done by a dentist which is of excellent quality, and Ifd like
>> to produce an upgradable English-German dictionary. It would
>> also be nice if this dictionary can be reversed and serve as
>> German-English dictionary.
>>
>> The format shall look like this one:
>>
>> Obturator Verschlussprothese
>> Eccentric occlusion azentrische
>> Okklusion Rubber dam holder
>> Kofferdamhalter
>>

>> Ifd like to add new expressions as the work progresses. The
>> software is supposed to display the expressions in
>> alphabetical order.
>>
>> Right now Ifd need to start without any dedicated software. I
>> might use MS Word or Excel. I could imagine that Excel would
>> be a good choice since I can create two columns and start
>> right away. Can Excel sort the left column alphabetically and
>> integrate the right column accordingly?

> yes
>
> microsoft.public.excel

For a free alternative, check out OpenOffice.org's Calc:

http://www.openoffice.org/product/calc.html

http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.3/index.html

John