Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP reactivation after upgrade

XP reactivation after upgrade

Nik Schlein

Windows XP asked me or rather TOLD me that I had too major of an upgrade on
my system and that I needed to reenter my CDkey and reactivate it. Well when
I did that it said that I have apparently done this too many times. Its my
third install of it on the same computer through 3 upgrades. This was the
biggest so far, but I didn't upgrade the hard drive this time. It didn't
tell me I had to reactivate it the other times, but they where clean
installs after I formatted the hard drive. My question is, what does this
mean, am I out the $150 I paid a year and a half ago and have to buy
another XP copy. Or is this something cheaper like when I call Microsoft and
the reissue me a CD with CDkey like some game companies do when your CDkey
is compromised?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Nik Schlein wrote:
> Windows XP asked me or rather TOLD me that I had too major of an upgrade on
> my system and that I needed to reenter my CDkey and reactivate it. Well when
> I did that it said that I have apparently done this too many times. Its my
> third install of it on the same computer through 3 upgrades. This was the
> biggest so far, but I didn't upgrade the hard drive this time. It didn't
> tell me I had to reactivate it the other times, but they where clean
> installs after I formatted the hard drive. My question is, what does this
> mean, am I out the $150 I paid a year and a half ago and have to buy
> another XP copy. Or is this something cheaper like when I call Microsoft and
> the reissue me a CD with CDkey like some game companies do when your CDkey
> is compromised?

Call Microsoft and explain. If they believe you they give you some new
info and you're off and running.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 03:09:37 GMT, "Nik Schlein"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> Windows XP asked me or rather TOLD me that I had too major of an upgrade on
|> my system and that I needed to reenter my CDkey and reactivate it. Well when
|> I did that it said that I have apparently done this too many times. Its my
|> third install of it on the same computer through 3 upgrades. This was the
|> biggest so far, but I didn't upgrade the hard drive this time. It didn't
|> tell me I had to reactivate it the other times, but they where clean
|> installs after I formatted the hard drive. My question is, what does this
|> mean, am I out the $150 I paid a year and a half ago and have to buy
|> another XP copy. Or is this something cheaper like when I call Microsoft and
|> the reissue me a CD with CDkey like some game companies do when your CDkey
|> is compromised?

Just a guess here but find and rename wpa.dbl
reboot you should be asked for your CDkey and another wpa.dbl will be
created, and you should be reactivated.

located in X:\Windows\System32

Nik Schlein

Okay that may work, but I don't want Microsoft to deny me updates because I
look like I have pilfered software.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 03:09:37 GMT, "Nik Schlein"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |> Windows XP asked me or rather TOLD me that I had too major of an
> upgrade on
> |> my system and that I needed to reenter my CDkey and reactivate it. Well
> when
> |> I did that it said that I have apparently done this too many times. Its
> my
> |> third install of it on the same computer through 3 upgrades. This was
> the
> |> biggest so far, but I didn't upgrade the hard drive this time. It
> didn't
> |> tell me I had to reactivate it the other times, but they where clean
> |> installs after I formatted the hard drive. My question is, what does
> this
> |> mean, am I out the $150 I paid a year and a half ago and have to buy
> |> another XP copy. Or is this something cheaper like when I call
> Microsoft and
> |> the reissue me a CD with CDkey like some game companies do when your
> CDkey
> |> is compromised?
> |>

> Just a guess here but find and rename wpa.dbl
> reboot you should be asked for your CDkey and another wpa.dbl will be
> created, and you should be reactivated.
>
> located in X:\Windows\System32

Nik Schlein

Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nik Schlein wrote:
>> Windows XP asked me or rather TOLD me that I had too major of an upgrade
>> on my system and that I needed to reenter my CDkey and reactivate it.
>> Well when I did that it said that I have apparently done this too many
>> times. Its my third install of it on the same computer through 3
>> upgrades. This was the biggest so far, but I didn't upgrade the hard
>> drive this time. It didn't tell me I had to reactivate it the other
>> times, but they where clean installs after I formatted the hard drive. My
>> question is, what does this mean, am I out the $150 I paid a year and a
>> half ago and have to buy another XP copy. Or is this something cheaper
>> like when I call Microsoft and the reissue me a CD with CDkey like some
>> game companies do when your CDkey is compromised?

> Call Microsoft and explain. If they believe you they give you some new
> info and you're off and running.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 03:47:45 GMT, "Nik Schlein"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> Okay that may work, but I don't want Microsoft to deny me updates because I
|> look like I have pilfered software.

Your not hacking into it, wpa.dbl holds your Hardware hash and
determines if you should reactivate or not. By removing it another will
be created and might get you up and running.

The OS is yours, you can play around with it to get it working or call
Microsoft as mention'd to get things straightened out.

|> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

|> > upgrade on
|> > when
|> > my
|> > the
|> > didn't
|> > this
|> > Microsoft and
|> > CDkey
|> > |>

|> > Just a guess here but find and rename wpa.dbl
|> > reboot you should be asked for your CDkey and another wpa.dbl will be
|> > created, and you should be reactivated.
|> >
|> > located in X:\Windows\System32

Conor

In article Nik Schlein says...
> Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?

You phone them, they put you onto an automated system and you enter the
numbers it tells you.

--
Conor

America: A democracy so successful, even the Ukranians copy it.

Ron Martell

"Nik Schlein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?

Exactly as advertised. A few minutes on the phone to a toll-free
number and all is done.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Ron Martell

>Just a guess here but find and rename wpa.dbl
>reboot you should be asked for your CDkey and another wpa.dbl will be
>created, and you should be reactivated.
>
>located in X:\Windows\System32

That will not fix his problem. Deleting wpa.dbl is not the way to fix
anything. All that does is force you to reactivate and if the
hardware is not *identical* to the previous activation then you may
have to contact Microsft by phone.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

Ron Martell

"Nik Schlein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Windows XP asked me or rather TOLD me that I had too major of an upgrade on
>my system and that I needed to reenter my CDkey and reactivate it. Well when
>I did that it said that I have apparently done this too many times. Its my
>third install of it on the same computer through 3 upgrades. This was the
>biggest so far, but I didn't upgrade the hard drive this time. It didn't
>tell me I had to reactivate it the other times, but they where clean
>installs after I formatted the hard drive. My question is, what does this
>mean, am I out the $150 I paid a year and a half ago and have to buy
>another XP copy. Or is this something cheaper like when I call Microsoft and
>the reissue me a CD with CDkey like some game companies do when your CDkey
>is compromised?

Just call Microsoft's toll free activation number for your locale and
you should be fixed up in a few minutes. It is relatively painless,
except for reading off a very long number and then accurately
recording another long number that they will give back to you.

What constitutes the *same* computer in terms of activation is a
combination of 10 specific identifiers including such things as the
volume-serial number of the hard drive and the MAC address of the
network card.

See MVP Alex Nichols article on activation at
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm for more detailed information.

Good luck