Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Uninstalling AOL 9.0 from c: prompt?

Uninstalling AOL 9.0 from c: prompt?

John

I stupidly installed AOL 9.0 on an older Dell P100t and didn't realize the
machine had only 24 megabytes of memory installed. Upon rebooting the
computer, which is running Windows 98, the boot process continued up to the
point where I saw my desktop and taskbar with three shortcuts, when I got an
Explorer error message "This program performed an illegal operation and must
close." Details revealed "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
shell22.dll, etc." Could go no further in booting process. In other words I
can't get into Windows 98. Computer worked fine before I installed that AOL
9.0. Same thing happens when I try to boot in safe mode. Error message
appears at the same point in boot process.

So now I am at the C: prompt and am wondering if I can somehow uninstall,
erase, delete, or otherwise get rid of AOL from the command prompt.

Can anyone help?

Thanks very much.

John

Toolman Tim

news:ugRrd.2071$(E-Mail Removed)...
|I stupidly installed AOL 9.0 on an older Dell P100t and didn't realize the
| machine had only 24 megabytes of memory installed. Upon rebooting the
| computer, which is running Windows 98, the boot process continued up to
the
| point where I saw my desktop and taskbar with three shortcuts, when I got
an
| Explorer error message "This program performed an illegal operation and
must
| close." Details revealed "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
| shell22.dll, etc." Could go no further in booting process. In other words
| can't get into Windows 98. Computer worked fine before I installed that
AOL
| 9.0. Same thing happens when I try to boot in safe mode. Error message
| appears at the same point in boot process.
|
| So now I am at the C: prompt and am wondering if I can somehow uninstall,
| erase, delete, or otherwise get rid of AOL from the command prompt.
|
| Can anyone help?
|
| Thanks very much.
|
| John

Not so much an "uninstall" but you might be able to set your system registry
back to a point before you installed AOL. It only keeps a few registries
though, so don't be surprised if you don't have one old enough.

Richard

news:ugRrd.2071$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I stupidly installed AOL 9.0 on an older Dell P100t and didn't realize the
> machine had only 24 megabytes of memory installed. Upon rebooting the
> computer, which is running Windows 98, the boot process continued up to

the
> point where I saw my desktop and taskbar with three shortcuts, when I got

an
> Explorer error message "This program performed an illegal operation and

must
> close." Details revealed "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
> shell22.dll, etc." Could go no further in booting process. In other words

> can't get into Windows 98. Computer worked fine before I installed that

AOL
> 9.0. Same thing happens when I try to boot in safe mode. Error message
> appears at the same point in boot process.
>
> So now I am at the C: prompt and am wondering if I can somehow uninstall,
> erase, delete, or otherwise get rid of AOL from the command prompt.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> John

Boot to dos with a floppy disk.
Go to the directory with the AOL files in it and delete away.
If you continue having the error problem, you may need to reinstall windows.

Did you want to torture yourself and actually want to try out AO Hell?