Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Spybot S&D Update Available

Spybot S&D Update Available

AvengerŠ

As the Subject says.
--
AvengerŠ
I *HATE* Spam

Jay

I hate to spam the thread here but its fitting to do so - I thought Avenger
might get a kick out of this story and others here might appreciate the info

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

Im in no way affiliated with CNN

Its a grassroots effort that is a background process screensaver that
packets known spammers IP's (maintained and evaluated by the designer...)
attempting to effectively bring spamming systems to a crawl. details are in
the article

I can see why this would.. and wouldnt.. work

Anyone heard of this or used it?

Tis a wonderful idea - talk amongst yourselves!

"AvengerŠ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As the Subject says.
> --
> AvengerŠ
> I *HATE* Spam
> A Spam Hater Since 1951

trout

Jay wrote:

> I hate to spam the thread here but its fitting to do so - I thought
> Avenger might get a kick out of this story and others here might
> appreciate the info

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

> Im in no way affiliated with CNN
>
> Its a grassroots effort that is a background process screensaver that
> packets known spammers IP's (maintained and evaluated by the
> designer...) attempting to effectively bring spamming systems to a
> crawl. details are in the article
>
> I can see why this would.. and wouldnt.. work
>
> Anyone heard of this or used it?
>
> Tis a wonderful idea - talk amongst yourselves!

I haven't checked the link; but this sounds like the subject of a
thread ("Payback") three days ago.
news:(E-Mail Removed)
--
"If nothing else, it serves as a reminder that 'talking amongst
ourselves' may not be something to wish for."

Jay

aye it appears you be right, matey.

I apoligize for the repeat - wasnt intentional. i only have a few of the
'payback' messages in thread..

arrrrrrr!
- Jay

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jay wrote:

> aye it appears you be right, matey.
>
> I apoligize for the repeat - wasnt intentional. i only have a few of
> the 'payback' messages in thread..
>
> arrrrrrr!
> - Jay

No need to apologize. There's a lot of traffic in the newsgroup.
There are plenty of people that hadn't seen the thread; and it does
invoke some interesting questions. *Do* 'two wrongs make a right'? Is it
okay to spam the spammer? Does the end justify the means?
And will Jessica realize that she's actually married to her
brother's cousin's pool-boy's evil twin? Indeed, there's some pondering
to be done.
In truth, even the subject of the thread is a re-run, today. That's
okay.
--
"If I haven't seen it; it's News to me."

> "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jay wrote:
>>
>>> I hate to spam the thread here but its fitting to do so - I thought
>>> Avenger might get a kick out of this story and others here might
>>> appreciate the info

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

>>> Im in no way affiliated with CNN
>>>
>>> Its a grassroots effort that is a background process screensaver
>>> that packets known spammers IP's (maintained and evaluated by the
>>> designer...) attempting to effectively bring spamming systems to a
>>> crawl. details are in the article
>>>
>>> I can see why this would.. and wouldnt.. work
>>>
>>> Anyone heard of this or used it?
>>>
>>> Tis a wonderful idea - talk amongst yourselves!

>> I haven't checked the link; but this sounds like the subject of a
>> thread ("Payback") three days ago.
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> --
>> "If nothing else, it serves as a reminder that 'talking amongst
>> ourselves' may not be something to wish for."

SwissTony

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsBQrd.58$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I hate to spam the thread here but its fitting to do so - I thought

Avenger
> might get a kick out of this story and others here might appreciate the

info

> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne....ap/index.html
>
> Im in no way affiliated with CNN
>
> Its a grassroots effort that is a background process screensaver that
> packets known spammers IP's (maintained and evaluated by the designer...)
> attempting to effectively bring spamming systems to a crawl. details are

in
> the article
>
> I can see why this would.. and wouldnt.. work
>
> Anyone heard of this or used it?
>
> Tis a wonderful idea - talk amongst yourselves!

I already have the screensaver, only sends a very small amount of kbs a day
so even 56kers can use it.
I got it from here which is the offical webpage for it
http://makelovenotspam.com/
Seems to be being updated at the mo.

Anthropy

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:46:04 -0000, "SwissTony" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>newsBQrd.58$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I hate to spam the thread here but its fitting to do so - I thought

>Avenger
>> might get a kick out of this story and others here might appreciate the

>info
>>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne....ap/index.html
>>
>> Im in no way affiliated with CNN
>>
>> Its a grassroots effort that is a background process screensaver that
>> packets known spammers IP's (maintained and evaluated by the designer...)
>> attempting to effectively bring spamming systems to a crawl. details are

>in
>> the article
>>
>> I can see why this would.. and wouldnt.. work
>>
>> Anyone heard of this or used it?
>>
>> Tis a wonderful idea - talk amongst yourselves!

>I already have the screensaver, only sends a very small amount of kbs a day
>so even 56kers can use it.
>I got it from here which is the offical webpage for it
>http://makelovenotspam.com/
>Seems to be being updated at the mo.

I read that the screensaver is "to" successful and is in danger of
being classified as a DOS attack. Seems some of the spamming sites are
being overloaded so much they are on the verge of collapse. The
spammers have even hacked the site where the screensaver originates
with the message that it's not right to attack spammers in this way so
it must be making someone angry.
I, like everyone hate spam but I would hate even more censorship of
the net. This could be construed as such. Just because the majority
agree that spam is a pain in the ass, by running the screensaver you
are taking part in an activity which could be classified as
censorship. Maybe the next topic that people want to ban, you won't
agree with but the precedent has been set.

kenos

Jay wrote:
> aye it appears you be right, matey.
>
> I apoligize for the repeat - wasnt intentional. i only have a few of the
> 'payback' messages in thread..
>
> arrrrrrr!
> - Jay
>
> "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Jay wrote:
>>

>>>I hate to spam the thread here but its fitting to do so - I thought
>>>Avenger might get a kick out of this story and others here might
>>>appreciate the info
>>>

>>http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne....ap/index.html
>>
>>>Im in no way affiliated with CNN
>>>
>>>Its a grassroots effort that is a background process screensaver that
>>>packets known spammers IP's (maintained and evaluated by the
>>>designer...) attempting to effectively bring spamming systems to a
>>>crawl. details are in the article
>>>
>>>I can see why this would.. and wouldnt.. work
>>>
>>>Anyone heard of this or used it?
>>>
>>>Tis a wonderful idea - talk amongst yourselves!

>> I haven't checked the link; but this sounds like the subject of a
>>thread ("Payback") three days ago.
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>>--
>>"If nothing else, it serves as a reminder that 'talking amongst
>>ourselves' may not be something to wish for."

Thanks

kenos